Start by marking “Gnomes” as Want to Read:
Gnomes

Gnomes

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  27,051 ratings  ·  358 reviews
Abrams launched Gnomes into the hearts of Americans in 1977 and quickly racked up astrognomic sales in bookstores across the country, ultimately achieving a 62-week run on the New York Times best-seller list. Come join in the 20th-anniversary fun as gnomania strikes again!Did you know that gnome couples always have twin children? Or that a gnome is seven times as strong as ...more
Published May 1st 1977 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Gnomes, please sign up.
Kristin I saw this at a store the other day so I am guessing it happened :) I only noticed because I own a copy and have never seen it anywhere else. My…moreI saw this at a store the other day so I am guessing it happened :) I only noticed because I own a copy and have never seen it anywhere else. My father got it for me in Holland when I was little. (less)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Charissa
Nov 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one! stay away from gnomes!! I warn you!!
Recommended to Charissa by: some evil person
Shelves: crack, and-other-lies
This is one of my stranger and more embarrassing tales.

For some bizarre reason, gnomes are a recurring theme in my life. Someone gave me this book the month I was getting married. I thought the gnome man and woman were cute, ad I bought a gnome man and woman as our wedding cake toppers. For our thank you notes after the wedding I bought a postcard of a gnome couple sitting by the side of a lake, fishing. The cake topper couple disappeared the night of the wedding and I have never seen them since
Chris Van Dyke
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book fascinated me as a kid -- my dad was an engineer, so I was drawn to the technical drawings, diagrams, and labels. Within the sphere of the fantasy geek, I was most drawn to the "complete world" authors like Tolkien, authors who didn't just create characters and plots but entire worlds, cultures, and linguistic systems. It's telling that my favorite part of "Return of the The King" is the appendices, and I spent many hours translating phrases into Dwarven Runes.

This book fulfills that s
Ilana
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, childrens, fantasy
A childhood favourite. I should find a copy to revisit and keep, as the last time I read it must’ve been sometime in 1982. I remember being impressed by the beautiful watercolour illustrations which I kept coming back to again and again of these whimsical creatures, which are treated in this encyclopedia-type book as very much being in existence.

"Gnomes is considered the definitive work on gnome culture. With a scholarly tone, it covers gnome architecture, education, medicine, courtship, and fam
Chantal
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book since I was a child. Back then these books were very expensive and so I never got to see it until now. These days you can find them easier at a thrift store. I loved to read about gnomes. I loved the drawings, they are beautiful. I was thinking about things I really have seen in nature, maybe there is a thing like a gnome :-D.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Tom Robbins once wrote, "Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death." So if you think you're too sophisticated for this big, delightful book, check your pulse and the rigidity of your limbs!

This is the definitive work on all things gnome. Playful and whimsical for sure, but these guys take their gnome studies seriously. ;-) They cover every aspect of gnome life including marriage, home building, food, medicine, friends, enemies, and services gnomes provide for
Kathryn
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gnome fans
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Okay, here is the review that most of you have been waiting for, haha! Is "Gnomes" cute? or scary?

...

Mostly cute, with a dash of "um, really...!?" tossed in that will probaby count as "scary" for those of you not already predisposed to like gnomes.

Now, I admit that I have not read this word-for-word as it's much longer than I was expecting, but I've done a fair amount of perusing and my review is based off this.

First of all, the entire idea is absolutely fascinating and charming--a little
Aaron
Gnomes is a great '70s, realist-watercolor-illustrated, cryptozoologist-fantasy that started the whole popular craze of the tiny, red-dunce-capped, earth-dwelling folk called 'Gnomes'. Written as a Field Guide on the habits and habitat of these wee folk who would later take over gardens the world around.

At second glance it's sort of surprising this book made the shelves at my elementary school's library. Some of the images are down right graphic and gruesome. To be honest I'm not sure it was giv
QNPoohBear
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book in my family. My grandparents owned a copy and we kids enjoyed hearing stories about gnomes "Nissen" and tales of Norway my grandmother heard from her grandmother. My brother and sister-in-law spent time in Iceland, where many people believe gnomes, fairies and elves walk among us. They picked up a copy of this book and dressed their newborn son up as a gnome for Halloween one year. Another reason we loved this book is because it was the basis for one of our favorite TV ...more
Ami
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, spirit-matters
I've loved this book for a long time, but keep forgetting to name it as one of my favorite books of all time. For posterity, I'll do that here--this book and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and sequels) are my FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME. And Rose just gave me my very own copy!!

For those of you not familiar with this awesome book, it is written as a scientific field guide to gnomes. David & I read through it a little bit at a time. I flip the pages & make like I'm exposing him to Ma
Stephen Robert Collins
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The festival able of Beltane this fun book full of illustrations & serious facts for 'nuts' like me who believe in fairy's at the bottom of the garden instead of weeds.
If enjoy good fun this book you love.
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's weird how popular this was. A lovely coffee table book about gnomes. Go figure.
Joanka
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one beautiful if slightly weird book for both children and older people as it’s a ride into a beautiful fantasy world. In a way it is perfect for autumn evening with the coziness and long walks around forest that the gnomes take. It is also a bit dark and violent sometimes in the Brothers Grimm’s kind of way. I personally like it but some of the stories were disturbing for my 5-year-old and we had to make up some further stories about the characters together, which was also fun. What I d ...more
Janelle
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves gnomes
It has become apparent that I have well and truly lost my sense of magic. When I was a teenager I was entranced by Gnomes. My school library stocked it as a reference item, and many a lunchtime was spent poring over it. Eventually I left school and Gnomes behind, but for many years wished I could find another copy and revisit the world of Gnomes. Imagine my excitement then when I discovered a second hand copy at a local bookstore. I eagerly handed over my $3, rushed it home, and discovered… the ...more
Heather
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my absolute favorite books when I was young. My wonderful mother bought it for me as a birthday present on year, and it filled me with a sense of wonder. I would spend some of my afternoons wandering the forest, looking for potential gnome homes amidst the trees. My eyes ready to spot a pointed red cap, peeking out from behind a pile of twigs. This book still enchants me. A fabulous gift for children of any age.
Sally
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eye-candy
My favorite line so far (aside from the fun illustrations):

"although the female gnome has a substantial bosom, decreased gravity (at her height) allows her to go through life unencumbered by a brassiere."
Celine
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How can I not have added this to my library before? I have had my edition since I was a child ( It was my lovely dad's)Its so worn and well loved that I'm almost afraid to take it from the shelf in case it falls apart.
An absolute joy.
Mouse
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I truly ever read this book from start to finish but I probably looked through it at different times and in different places about fifty times. It's a nostalgic masterpiece from my childhood. I remember my German cousins had it and I didn't know how to get my hands on it but I looked through theirs a bunch of times. Eventually I found it years later in a book store here in the U.S. and was able to give a much better look through.
I recently saw it at my local library and snagged a c
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Fantasy Fan and Forest Denizen!
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Gnomes and Faeries!
I loved reading this book as a kid - it was straight up hard lined magic and the little naked gnome ass really struck a chord with my fantasy addled brain. Yes!! Loved it!!!
This is the definitive #1 bestselling guide and handbook to everything and all things gnome. Fantasy filled and whimsical always, being a gnome is serious stuff however. All facts are covered in every aspect of gnome life; including courting, marriage and child raising, growing food, medicine, good friends, bad enemies, and r
Tiffany
My brother had this book when I was little. I absolutely loved the pictures and the "research" with diagrams about the gnome and the life of the gnome. However, it was the trolls that caused the biggest thrill. They were horrible, nasty creatures, and the descriptions of their terrible and cruel ways were bad enough, but the artwork of those stinking, bug-infested creatures! My friend and I would scare ourselves to hysterics when we were about 10 or so, well into the nights when she was sleeping ...more
Turner
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
This coffee-table-sized book was a present my mom gave my dad back when I was very tiny.
It rather quickly became (in all but name) my book: Dad didn't get very into it, but I was fascinated by the concept of this whole little world of sentient beings we just overlook in our hurly-burly modern world.

I haven't looked between the covers in years- God knows what I'd think now.
Haliation
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faery
Finally got my hands on this after years of wanting it. It is a first edition (in English) printing, too, and I got it for a whopping $3. It is gorgeous, and well worth the wait. The noise I made when I found it was -incredible-, and I REGRET NOTHING.
I sat down with it and literally read it from cover to cover. It is delicious.
447635325 stars, if I could. I love gnomes, okay?
Jonathan Culver
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I don't know what it is...but I love this book. It just does such a good job of making it seem like a legitimate report on the habits of real gnomes. I fully intend to buy my children a copy one day. I didn't even read it until I was a teenager and still loved it.
Beverly J.
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember picking this up and thumbing through it in 1982. This time I actually sat down and read the entire thing. It was awesome and the final chapter was a testament to our society. Amazing that it was written in 1976. Highly recommend.
Christine
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was given this book when I was a child. It was one of those childhood books that I constantly read and re-read. The stories and the illustrations have to been deeply embedded into my brain. The book is a lavish book. Huygen did such a good job with the details.
Jim
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great source on these creatures with wonderful artwork.
Sylvester
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, fantasy-sci-fi
Gotta love the gnomes! Had this book when I was a child, and really really hoped I would run into a gnome somewhere in the woods one day! Loved it.
Sandra
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very, very cute book about Gnomes. Tongue in cheek. I was very fascinated with it when I was a child, and I still remember it to this day.
Monica
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The illustrations are absolutely fantastic and whimsical. And the stories and tales of the gnomes is fun for both kids and adults. This book has been enjoyed by myself, my Gramma, and every generation in between. Highly recommended to add to your collection. Nice "coffee table" book, too. :)
Kevin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
By "read" I mean "paged through to remember this book from my childhood without an in-depth re-reading" but you get the point.

I don't remember some of the gender politics being so antiquated but past that it's almost exactly what I had in my mind - cute, whimsical fluff with some nice watercolors accompanying it.
Yaaresse
Oh, I remember this! It was a big hit among the D&D and fantasy crowd.
It was such fun, and the detailed drawings were terrific.

• Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • Goblins! A Survival Guide and Fiasco in Four Parts
  • Castle
  • The Runes of Elfland
  • The Art of Amy Brown
  • Fairies and Elves (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Art of Faery
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • ARh+
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic