Start by marking “A Piaget Primer: How a Child Thinks” as Want to Read:
A Piaget Primer: How a Child Thinks

A Piaget Primer: How a Child Thinks

Offers a fascinating and understandable account of childhood development for anyone--education and psychology students, day care center workers and nursery school teachers, and parents.

Jean Piaget is arguably the most important figure of the twentieth century in the field of child psychology. Over more than six decades of studying and working with children, he brilliantly
Paperback, Revised, 160 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by Plume Books (first published June 1978)

To ask other readers questions about A Piaget Primer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piaget Primer

Start your review of A Piaget Primer: How a Child Thinks
Craig
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read for graduate level theories of learning class. Book is a primer for Piaget's theory of intellectual development. Authors use various examples, such as Peanuts comic strip, the wizard of oz, and Winnie the Pooh, to clarify different points of his theory along the way.

A very easy read which is good considering how arduous psychology can be. Examples vary, are used often and are very helpful overall.

I would recommend this book for those interested in child development (pre-adolescent),
Damon Barnhurst
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
A child's best teacher are their parents. As an educator and a parent I found this book to be a great reminder of the importance of teaching our children. In summary... Read to your kids, talk to them often, challenge them, be supportive and positive, let them learn by doing even if it causes messes, and show them how you love learning and share your learning with them. Turn off the tv, give them something to make or do that requires deeper thinking.
Michael Tallman
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
An informative, non-technical introduction to Piaget for parents and early childhood educators.
Steve Heglin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you need to learn the basics of Piagetian theory quickly and with relevant examples, this primer is perfect. Although the revised edition was published in 1996, the references and examples still hold up. It would be nice to see a newer edition that discussed the effect of new media, like the internet and video games, on children's development, but the concepts explained are done so in a timeless way the makes it easy to relate them to children today. I especially liked how the authors made ...more
Jenn Sarich
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great practical tips for a soon to be mama.
Ilaria
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very interesting to read how a child behaves and why. I can see several things on my baby already. I was very glad to learn that children have their own development stages, and that they will reach them all but at different times (like I always thought). There's no need to push them to read or learn arithmetic. I would like to read more about child development.
Rachelle
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I originally picked this book out to help me out with a school essay, little did I know I'd read through the whole thing. The cartoon depictions and examples were really helpful in presenting Jean Piaget's findings in understandable terms.
Meredith Links
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had to read this for my children's literature class. This was a real struggle to get through. The first chapter where is discussed each of the age groups was okay. But it just kept getting more and more boring.
Yaëlle
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this book because I needed the information for an essay and it provided exactly what I needed.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Very clear and amusing explanation of Piaget's theories of child development.
Michelle G.
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching
If you're teaching pre-k or working with kids at that age or younger, this book would might be of interest to you. If not, I guess you have been warned?
Maryellen
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really great summary of some basic developmental principles from Piaget. Easy to pick up and reference. Great review without hauling out that old developmental text.
Lorri
Ehsan Keyvani
May 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Survive in Your Native Land
  • Something Incredibly Wonderful Happens: Frank Oppenheimer and the world he made up
  • A Mind at Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age
  • Hierarchy of Needs: A Theory of Human Motivation
  • Linked: How Everything Is Connected to Everything Else and What It Means for Business, Science, and Everyday Life
  • Experience and Education
  • What School Could Be: Insights and Inspiration from Teachers Across America
  • The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance
  • The Lessons of History
  • Lontananza
  • Portnoy's Complaint
  • Cumpleaños

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »