Start by marking “Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857” as Want to Read:
Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857

Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857

Rich in character and vivid detail, this first full-scale history of one of the central dramas of imperialism echoes in the mind like a great nineteenth-century novel. Our Bones Are Scattered recounts the bloodiest acts of one of the bloodiest rebellions in history - the siege and massacre of the European garrison at Cawnpore, India, and the terrible retribution that follo ...more
Published April 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Our Bones Are Scattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Bones Are Scattered

Dipanjan
First of all i frankly admit that the perusal of this book throughout three weeks resembles more or less a psychological torture on my peaceful mind. Indeed, as per author's own words from the preface of this book, the bones of countless hapless Indians,Europeans, Anglo-Indians, Eurasians, Hindoos, Muslims or Christians are scattered throughout each and every page of this unique book on the great Indian mutiny of 1857. Since our childhood we have been taught in the history classes of our school ...more
Mike
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love history, especially military history. I can’t help but wonder what I would have done when faced with the same situations as historical figures. Of course, I am glad I live now and don’t have to actually find out. That is especially true in the case of the 1857 Indian Mutiny, Sepoy Rebellion or 1st War of Indian Independence, depending on where you sit. I only knew vaguely of the Mutiny, usually as an aside as I read about Afghan history, just a footnote to that story. Here in Our Bones Ar ...more
happy
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-military
I have always found military history fascinating. Unfortunately my knowledge of the Great Mutiny has been lacking. I found this an excellent look at the beginnings and causes of the Great Mutiny of 1857. Mr. Ward makes good use of primary sources, first person accounts and has a nice turn of phrase. In this volume he specifically looks at Cawnpore and the resulting massacres of the garrison and the motivations it gave to the Imperial troops. “Remember Cawnpore” became their battle cry, much like ...more
Jeff
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid if depressing read of one portion of the Sepoy Rebellion, with excesses on both sides.
Martin Empson
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful piece of historical writing. It has often been said that victors write history. This is absolutely true of the Indian Mutiny. For years the narrative focused on the appalling violence and betrayal of the rebels, without putting it into context, while the British response was downplayed or ignored. Andrew Ward's detailed, scrupulously researched and extremely well written history rectifies this. I encourage you to read it.

Full review on the blog: http://resoluterea
Andrew Otis
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
An incredible undertaking, sometimes bogs down and is perhaps too much.
Sue Dise
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The history of the Indian Mutiny has always fascinated me. It is a classic example of colonial arrogance in the face of racial and religious prejudice. This book is the best modern account of the incidents leading up to the dreadful Cawnpore massacre, and subsequent punishment of the subjected peoples of the Indian subcontinent. Stupidity and horror that set the stage for the end of the Raj, and the British Empire.
Alex Baker
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A devastating, merciless account of a seminal event in the British and Indian imagination. The author delivers on his promise to provide an exhaustive and unflinching version of events, allowing the tragedy to unfold in deliberate detail. That makes for an an impressive achievement, but maybe not a good recommendation for someone looking for a general book on Indian history or an introduction to the mutiny. This book goes DEEP.
Tom Williams
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is probably the definitive book on the massacre at Cawnpore. It is truly excellent. The only reason for not giving it five stars is that it is long and detailed and probably too much for anyone not already interested in the subject. For anyone interested in what happened at Cawnpore, it's essential reading. When I was researching my novel, 'Cawnpore', it was invaluable.
Mahesh Andar
Desperately want to get hold of a copy of this book. Not available with Flipkart.com
Jestyn
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grim, but illuminating insight into the mess that was the Indian Mutiny. Neither side comes out particularly well - the casual slaughter on both sides was horrific.
Gordon Frye
May 30, 2009 is currently reading it
A well researched and well written book about the Indian Mutiny of 1857, specifically on the siege of Cawnpore. Written by a local fellow from Bainbridge Island, of all things. LOTS of footnotes!
'Aussie Rick'
Morgan
Jan 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Great Mutiny: India 1857
  • Frontiers: The Epic of South Africa's Creation and the Tragedy of the Xhosa People
  • We Are the Romani People: Volume 28
  • Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
  • Soldier Sahibs: The Men Who Made the North-West Frontier
  • The Making of Victorian Values: Decency and Dissent in Britain, 1789-1837
  • The Great Hedge of India: The Search for the Living Barrier that Divided a People
  • The Confident Hope of a Miracle: The True Story of the Spanish Armada
  • Shameful Flight: The Last Years of the British Empire in India
  • A Brief History of the Hundred Years War
  • The Honourable Company: a History of the English East India Company
  • Road Of Bones: The Siege Of Kohima 1944   The Epic Story Of The Last Great Stand Of Empire
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • The Raj at War: A People’s History of India’s Second World War
  • The Armada
  • Conquest
  • Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II
  • Oh What a Lovely War