Start by marking “The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)

The Daylight War

(Demon Cycle #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  50,742 ratings  ·  2,224 reviews
On the night of the new moon, the demons rise in force, seeking the deaths of two men both of whom have the potential to become the fabled Deliverer, the man prophesied to reunite the scattered remnants of humanity in a final push to destroy the demon corelings once and for all.

Arlen Bales was once an ordinary man, but now he has become something more—the Warded Man,
Published February 12th 2013 by Random House Del Ray

To ask other readers questions about The Daylight War, please sign up.
Eric Lewis Yes and no. I understand her character. She is very black and white in her thinking, and I feel it's mostly because of her mother and being from a…moreYes and no. I understand her character. She is very black and white in her thinking, and I feel it's mostly because of her mother and being from a small hamlet.

I have thought, by now, she would see that there is a little gray area and that her way isn't always the right way. Sometimes she needs to stay out of someones business when there is a culture clash.

Even though she is "holier than thou," her character fits. If she wasn't, I don't think I would like the fit of her character in the series.(less)
Samuel King The blue cover is the UK cover (as far as I know). Still the same book but it is the third book in the series. Read The Warded Man (its called the…moreThe blue cover is the UK cover (as far as I know). Still the same book but it is the third book in the series. Read The Warded Man (its called the Painted Man in the UK) and The Desert Spear first(less)

·  50,742 ratings  ·  2,224 reviews

Start your review of The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
Mark Lawrence
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story changes focus but continues to be strong. I'm hooked on these books. They're the fun, exciting, imaginative fantasy I used to love way back in the 80s, but written for the new milenium with all the additional sharpness and insights that entails.

Brett combines a wonderful idea - the particular combination of 'bad guys' and magic that drives the series - with great characterisation across a broad cast.

To deliver literary punches, to write scenes where we care who lives and who dies,
Petrik
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Daylight War is a good addition to the Demon Cycle series but in my opinion, it’s also the weakest entry so far.

To anyone who disliked the second book of the series, let me tell you that this is not where it gets better, at least not for me. The Daylight War, the third book out of five in the Demon Cycle series is what I would say inflicted with the infamous middle book syndrome, especially in terms of plot. Let’s digest how much time passed here compared to the previous books. The first
Clinton
Book:3.5
Series so far: 4
****WARNING****
The Daylight War Is a Sex Filled Romance Novel Masquerading as the fantasy book you thought you were going to be reading.

Peter V. Brett dropped the ball on this one. The Daylight War is in no way a bad book, it’s just a letdown. It seems that when Peter decided he was going to write a third book, he decided to gather up all the most irritating characters of the past two books and make them main characters. Not only that, he also managed to make some of
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Freaking love Renna, Arlen and the horses! Bad arse demon killers! Loved it!!

Mel
Dana Ilie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dana by: Moglan Radu
Shelves: fantasy
The Daylight War, Book Three of The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett is a fast-paced, action-packed and exhilaratingly detailed novel that will leave readers breathless and in eager anticipation for more.

After finishing this book, all I can say is WOW! Peter V. Brett really knows how to change character perceptions and showcase different facets even after two preceding books. Let’s begin with the part that beguiled me so much, namely characterization. The author fleshes out all characters vividly
Brent Weeks
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Peter V. Brett's best book yet. Brett handles the expansive scope of one of this era's biggest epic fantasies with considerable skill. Highly enjoyable.
[Two disclaimers: This review refers to an ARC version, which means I got it for free. It also means the copy I read may contain errors the final, printed book does not. Also, importantly, I count Peter Brett a friend. I will, however, give a forthright, dispassionate review. Peter’s career isn’t at a place where an honest critique on a few
Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fantasy
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

***Spoilers from the previous books***

Despite liking THE DAYLIGHT WAY, generally speaking, I can't deny my overall impression is that the series has been poorly planned.

The first book was excellent, the second book spent an entire third of its content giving background on a new POV, and this third book reiterated half of that information, giving us New POV’s wife’s perspective on a lot of the same background.

It would have been much more efficient to introduce
Kyle
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

What a chore to read!

If you've read the first two books in this series you know that there are two "factions," the Northerners and the Krasians. Each have their own Deliverer and each fighting their own battle against the demons that attack each night. This book bounces back and forth between these two groups as they battle against the night.

The book just felt like it was way too long. There was never anything that kept me engaged in the story. The climax if you can call it that was a big

Mia
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
* Please read this only if you've read the first two books in the Demon Cycle series -- The Warded Man and The Desert Spear. Do not deprive yourself of the pleasure of discovering every twist and turn of this splendid tale in the proper order. Further, I'm purposely shying away from providing details to avoid even unintended spoilers.*

A RECAP: The Warded Man introduced us to Arlen of Tibbett's Brook, a boy whose simple village life was upended by a tragic demon attack. His ensuing restlessness
Deborah Obida
As much as I love this book I have to admit that it didn’t live up to the first two books. 80% of the book focused soley on the love life of the main characters that keep increasing with each book. I could have done without Inevera’s backstory, it was totally unnecessary and was too long, it could have been cut done to 30 pages instead of the 100 plus it was. It added nothing to the plot whatsoever. Just 20% of this book is based on the upcoming demon war, I feel as if the title of the book is ...more
Myke Cole
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm fortunate enough to be one of Pete's beta readers, and I've never felt luckier than I do right now. I can say with complete confidence that he's done it again with THE DAYLIGHT WAR. Readers get to take more steps down the path of mankind's struggle against the darkness venting from their planet's core. Better still, Pete does what he does best: creates compelling characters, puts them on the stage, then stands back and let's them surprise the reader with choices that are all-too-real in ...more
Gavin
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Demon Cycle is a strange series for me as I enjoy reading the books despite hating a lot of stuff about them. The good is definitely Brett's engaging writing style. The world is a fun one and it is very easy to get caught up in the story. The downside of the DC series is that it has a misogynistic tinge and Brett's handling of sexual content (both the "romance" and the rampant sexual abuse) is pretty disturbing.

This third instalment of the series was a good one despite its flaws. Both
Joules
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 1/2

50 Shades of... Fantasy?

Peter Brett must have been trying to break into the erotic fantasy genre when he wrote this. Every POV human character has sex, and further practically all the chapters contain to some level a sexual content. You may be wondering why I used the phrase "human character", well that is because we do have ONE point of view character who does not get lucky with the ladies. Who is he? A coreling prince... We miss out on the fascinating way in which corelings have sex.
Mayim de Vries
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
What a perfect example of a 'could have been' book. "The Daylight War" could have been brilliant - had it not been so long and anticlimactic. It took me ages to read it and the fact that my life has been insanely busy has nothing to do with it. Great literature has its way of stealing into even a busiest schedule, bad literature usually prompts the reader to find excuses in order not to read it - and this was what the Daylight War did for me. Actually, it crippled the Demon Cycle so much that ...more
Bradley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-shelf
Some seriously good epic-fantasy going on here.

Like the previous novel, we spend a lot of time in the Krasian camp, only this time it's all from the PoV of Inevera, and I can't complain. Getting the PoV's of the women in this benighted world is a real treat especially since it's so damn dire and ugly. Feeling the strain and drive against the ugliness is damn welcome, even if it's small potatoes with only a few big hints of change or possible change.

That being said, we don't remain there. We get
seak
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, arc-review
The Daylight War was easily my most anticipated novel this year. There's just something about Brett's world that makes me want to live and breath it always. I can't get enough of it and the really the worst part about this book is that I have to wait at least a year to read the next one. In short, yes it's good and worth the wait. It's consistent with its predecessors and even surpasses them in some aspects.

Spoilers follow for the previous books. You've been warned.

The Daylight War picks up
Deirdre
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Terence
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
The people of the Northern Free Cities and Krasia have each named their own Deliverer. In the North despite his protests Arlen Bales The Warded Man is considered the Deliverer. In the Krasian cities Ahmann Jardir is the undisputed Shar'Dama Ka. Arlen and Jardir's sides are set for Sharak Sun The Daylight War. Jardir's Jiwah Ka Inevera has set this stage with her future foretelling alagai hora. The current events from Jardir's rise to now can be accredited to her machinations and ambitions. ...more
Mihir
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Full review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall Rating = 4 & 1/2 stars

ANALYSIS: Peter V. Brett’s The Daylight War is a book that most fans have been clamoring for since the release of The Desert Spear back in 2010. This book focuses on Inevera’s character as the past books have done for Arlen, Leesha, Rojer and Jardir. This book would also serve to show the conflict brewing between Jardir and Arlen and so easily marked itself as the most anticipated title for 2013 IMO. A warning
Miczal
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm getiing very annoyed with backstories and descending trend of this cycle. Was The Painted Man written by someone else? In that book you at least had really good story till the last page.

I'm really disappointed that first 30% of The Daylight War doesn't develop plot at all. Instead we have Inevera's "POV" on things we already knew. What's the point? I think that those chapters could be at least two times shorter. Things start to get interesting in second half, but I feel almost cheated by
Andrea
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really not sure how to review this book. I have to say that I struggled for the first part because it was so hard to get in to, and with the constant flicking between times and people, it really started to grate. Only started to properly enjoy it towards the end and the big battles.

Arlen and Leesha were kinda annoying in this book. Leesha was especially annoying and only redeemed herself at the end, and only a little and Renna is just horrible, nothing about her is appealing and I cant stand
Szara
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Daylight War is the weakest of the series so far. This book greatly suffered by having too many flashbacks which did not add much to the overall plot. Most of the chapters felt like filler and there wasn't much action until the last 25% of the book. I had high hopes for this one and they were not met.

(view spoiler)
David Sven
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Nooooo!!! Cliffhanger ending! You bastard Brett!

The last 25% of this book was brilliant. As good a finale as the last book barring the cliffhanger finish. Cliffhanger is probably a little inaccurate - it was more like the story ended just when it started taking off and my blood was up and wanting more.

But as good as the last 25% was, the previous 75% was a grind at times. The main story picks up where we left off last book and stretches some thirty days till the next new moon while the Thesans
Ivan
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Each new book in this series is slightly worse than previous.First one was solid 4, second bit shaky 4 and this one gets 3.

For the most part even that felt generous, story developed at snail pace, Reena was annoying and Roger is even more but last 200 where great it reminded me of what is good about this series.Unfortunately it wasn't enough to fix overall weak impression and fact that ends with cliffhanger doesn't help.
MikMurphy the Spinecreaser
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
2.50

Ugghh what a struggle! The characters are only ghosts of what they were in The Warded Man..
I know you guys have said to try to hang on for The Core but I think I'm going to abandon this series.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Hmmm…Where to start. It took me forever to get through this book and I got distracted by a lot of other things along the way.

description

I think Peter V. Brent falls into shortfall category a lot of male fantasy writers do. They are pretty good at worldbuilding and plot but really horrible at romance and writing women.

Inevera was fascinating in the previous book, she was a mystery and I was convinced she was an evil genius. But, in the Daylight Wars we get her PoV. Her past and many of the things that
Flying Monkey
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
4 stars!

Each book dives deeper into alternate characters points of view. I came away understanding and respecting characters I never thought I would. The Daylight war felt unfinished, so 4 Stars.
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I've read the first three books in quick succession and don't feel I have much more to add on Brett's fantastic writing in terms of style and nuance. Safe to say I am very much enjoying myself reading these books.

At times it was a little frustrating seeing the same story from a third perspective but I understand it is the writer's choice to show different points of view to give balance to the story and flesh out the characters, which he does this
Kylene Jacobs
Jan 21, 2012 marked it as to-read
I can not wait to read this book, I absolutely loved the first two although I must say that Jardir's history was dragged out a bit too much in The Desert Spear, but overall a fantastic read!

• The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • The Painted Man
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
Peter V. Brett is the internationally bestselling author of the Demon Cycle series, which has sold over two million copies in 25 languages worldwide. Novels include The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War, The Skull Throne, and The Core. Other works include the Red Sonja: Unchained graphic novel and the Demon Cycle novellas The Great Bazaar, Brayan's Gold, Messenger's Legacy, and ...more

Demon Cycle (5 books)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)
“You are my daughter. I would love you if you put out the sun.” 27 likes
“I am the palm and this is only wind. I will bend, but I will not break.” 25 likes