Start by marking “Agile Estimating and Planning” as Want to Read:
Agile Estimating and Planning

Agile Estimating and Planning

Praise for Agile Estimating and Planning "Traditional, deterministic approaches to planning and estimating simply don't cut it on the slippery slopes of today's dynamic, change-driven projects. Mike Cohn's breakthrough book gives us not only the philosophy, but also the guidelines and a proven set of tools that we need to succeed in planning, estimating, and scheduling pro ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about Agile Estimating and Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Estimating and Planning

Kevin
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
After having read many books on agile software development, this is the book that finally made the entire system hang together for me. Cohn walks through all of the various aspects of agile planning, providing reasoning about why various approaches are taken as well as how to go about executing them. While the flow of the book can be a bit jarring at times, jumping from one topic to a seemingly unrelated one between chapters, I still came away from the book with a much better understanding of th ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The bible of agile planning. True classic. Even if personally I don't agree with some statements, this book is a MUST read for anyone who's interesting in REAL-LIFE aspect of agile approach. This book is exactly about the actual bread and butter of agile projects in the COMMERCIAL environment - where risk and predictability have to have some harness.

For me personally it's kind of a shame that I've read it so late and who knows - maybe even I'd skip it completely, but I've decided to read it as a
Margarita Artemyan
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pm-po-agile
Recommended book for project manager/scrum masters or whoever interested in planning and estimating. The book gives guidelines and tools that can help to succeed in planning, estimating, and scheduling projects while having high level of uncertainties in the project. Mike gives detailed examples with practical approaches and techniques to increase agility and shows how to produce software of high business value.
Mike Crittenden
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book answered lots of things I've wondered about for years. The writing is a little dense at times but there's so much great info. DEFINITELY read the case study at the end. It made it all come together for me.
Jaideep Khanduja
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Book Review: Agile Estimating And Planning By Mike Cohn: A Must Read For All Agile Aspirants

This is an excellent book written by Mike Cohn who is the founder of Mountain Goat Software. The title of the book Agile Estimating And Planning says it all for estimating and planning of an Agile Project. It says if the planning and estimating is not done in an agile way, the agile project is not relevant to this estimating and planning. Without taking agile into a
Evan Leybourn
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
People are, in general, bad at estimating with any definition or accuracy.

That's pretty much the core of this book; and it puts across that message quite well. It then puts forth some good ideas on how to work around this. Using the Fibonacci sequence is a stroke of brilliance and is pretty much the de-facto standard in all agile projects.

The book hasn't, however, held up well over time. It can lack coherence, and once you understand the core message, there's not much additional value in reading
John Telford
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best technical books I have read and an excellent treatise on the subject. If you work with Agile or are interested in it, I highly recommend this educational resource.
Amit
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book helped me develop the mindset how to succeed in planning, estimating, and scheduling projects with a certain level of approximation.
It also helped me know about the guidelines and tools that we need to succeed with limited Planning & scope Estimation that is just enough to deliver business value to the customer every Sprint.

The book emphasizes on accepting change late in the Release in Agile Manifesto and this book dwells into how to build such a mindset within a Team which I foun
Evan Wondrasek
Excellent resource for agile project management. I'd call it a must-read for product owners and agile team managers, and I'd absolutely encourage scrum masters and development team members to read it - it could only make them better. This book has the obligatory coverage of scrum and agile basics, but differentiates itself with topics on broader and longer-term planning, like themes, milestones, and communicating schedules. I found all of this useful and plan to reread it in the future. I disagr ...more
David
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clear and concise but I have to admit I did not read the last part. I have an aversion to technical writers entering the world of creative writing and therefore skipped this last section. My apologies to Mike Cohn, who may be a fine fiction writer but I could not overcome my phobia.

I found the preceding work admirable and as I have just become involved in a product development project (as nominal product owner) I hope to put what I have learned into practice and I am sure I will be revisiting th
Nikolay
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for any member of agile team interested in reasoning behind most popular estimation, prioritization and planning techniques as well as recommendations of proven practices from one of the most recognized Agile evangelist - Mike Cohn. Book is very well written, structured and easy to read. It accompanied with metaphors and anecdotes for better understanding of described topics. Last chapter written in form of fiction which summarizes all key points mentioned in the book on the examp ...more
Juan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lot os insights about estimating and planning.

If you are starting on agile product development or moving from some role to agile product owner, or even scrum master, this book is for you.

If you are already an agile expert you won't find anything super relevant but it will help you a lot with different approaches about estimation and planning, iterations and releases also.

In my case I have learned several methods and approaches for estimation and planning. Also ideas about how to address technic
Adam Griffiths
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Right, this is a great agile planning book full of good ideas which talks through the basics, gives strategies on prioritisation, and ideas on syncing up multiple teams. There’s even a short story at the end to illustrate some of the basics.

So why have I only given it four stars? I have to admit, compared with other agile and/or DevOps books I’ve read this one was heavy going. It took a lot of effort to reach for it towards the ends and I found myself putting it down for months in end. Maybe per
TruongSinh Tran-Nguyen
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TruongSinh by: Scrum.org
Informative and useful, written from author's own experiences and opinions. The author presents all known tools/approaches, then explains which ones are appropriate in which scenario, why/how so, and his preferences if any. Having lots of author's own experiences and fictional stories makes this book easily comprehensible.
pwujczyk
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Book describes scrum project approach in great details. Sometimes even too much. Author even create some calculations to make his thoughts more reliable. But in general book greatly describes how team should operate in the scrum. If you really want to understand how it should be done this is the book for you. Still you need to think if learning scrum is proper way of doing IT projects...
Amr Negm
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Estimation is a tricky part of Agile process, and there is much misunderstanding about it. The book goes through estimation process in details.
A big lesson is focusing on implementing concepts is more important than sticking with specific practices.
It concludes with a realistic study case that summarizes most of concepts.
Apostolos Georgakis
Sep 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: management
The author walks a very thin line when comparing story points to ideal days that doesn't make much sense given the explanation he provides. Additionally there are cases where he contradicts when he says or changes his stance on something (for example going from relative to absolute value for a given metric).
Daniel Irvine
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m flicking through this book for the first time in the 10+ years since I first read it and I’m slightly disheartened that, while I enjoyed it at the time and learned a great deal, I’ve never worked on a team that has needed to estimate or plan at this level of detail. Only required reading for the most meticulous of teams.
Fred
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valuable Reading for Software Estimating

Describes the balance of satisfying stakeholders and sensible software development. Emphasis on team building through performance. Demonstration of having clients collaborate on prioritizing what is possible and what is needed.
Udaykiran Joshi
Mike is my Agile Guru! I have learnt a lot from his books and online articles and immensely benefitted from his work!

This book is another gem in his list and ಈ thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Mike for spreading the wisdom. !
Udaykiran Joshi
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for anyone who is practicing Agile!!

Must read for anyone who is practicing Agile!! The sizing and estimation concepts are explained so beautifully that you can right away start practicing most of what is being suggested!
Warun
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fundamental of Agile estimating. Good that it have some patterns defined about how many possible way to estimate and plan.

Bridge the traditional world about what metrics usually use to estimate and the Agile world.

Think about revisit this book for the case study part at the end of the book.
Sara Nour
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kory
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was a decent book, most information I already knew from my job though.
Aashu Aggarwal
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good one to embark on Agile journey
Radu Stanculescu
Excellent book, I'm sure I'll go back to it quite often.
Dmitry Leshchenko
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth to read!
Dayton Outar
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good content for beginners. Transitions thought from traditional project management to agile.
RichM
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good reference.
Kamlesh Kumar
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good and practical book. Must read for everyone following agile practices.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Agile Project Management Certification 1 1 Nov 16, 2017 10:11PM

• Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Agile Software Development
  • Agile Coaching
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mike Cohn is the owner of Mountain Goat Software and is recognized as one of the contributors to the invention of Scrum. He is one of the founders of the Scrum Alliance and is a Certified Scrum Trainer. He is a trainer on Scrum and agile software process techniques and helped popularize Planning poker which he provides as a free online planning tool.

From Wikipedia.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
“To be uncertain is to be uncomfortable, but to be certain is to be ridiculous.” —Chinese proverb” 3 likes
“No plan survives contact with the enemy." —Field Marshal Helmuth Graf von Moltke” 2 likes