Start by marking “Lady of the Lotus” as Want to Read:
Lady of the Lotus

Lady of the Lotus

Lady of the Lotus takes the reader to another time, another place: India, centuries before Christ. It is the story of a woman who discovers that the man she loves is destined for a path which will ultimately lead him away from her, toward a great destiny...the story of a woman who courageously seeks - and finds - a path of her own. It is a novel of love, a passionate saga ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 404 pages
Published April 1st 1976 (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of the Lotus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of the Lotus

Start your review of Lady of the Lotus
Niki Fey
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Why seek one man or another?” he said “Walk alone and seek truth”

I loved, loved, LOVED this tale and have carried this particular version of the legendary story of Siddharta (and his bride, Yasodhara) with me for more than a decade. A less fantastical, down-to-earth look at the birth of Buddhism - which helped me forever grasp the root beliefs of the religion itself.
Jamini
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very beautifully written, wonderful story of the wife of the Buddha, historical figure who has not been well studied or written about. Here William Barrett brings her beautiful life to light.
Ambrosia
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe there's a reason I'm not a Buddhist.

I admire a lot of what this book is attempting. And I realize that writing a story about the wife of one of history's most revered religious figures - especially one you, too, revere - is going to be a difficult task, no matter how thoroughly you research her background or the period. (And, indeed, the research is impeccable - I learned a lot of fascinating stuff about the time and place and originating culture of the Buddha's birth.)

But having now read
Marilyn Saul
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a little skeptical at first, as there is so little historic information on Yashodhara that I wasn't certain the author could pull off creating a credible picture of her life in the first century B.C. But I soon settled into her character. What REALLY made this book for me, however, was the transition from Siddhartha to the Buddha. There were many thought-provoking passages for study, and I found myself actually incorporating a small part of the Buddha's wisdom into my life. This is a very, ...more
Maureen
Aug 09, 2012

• A Secret History of Witches
  • The Trees
  • The Fields
  • Reforesting Faith: What Trees Teach Us About the Nature of God and His Love for Us
  • The Book of Speculation
  • Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (Arthurian Saga, #1-3)
  • The Town
  • The Veil of Ashes (Princess Vigilante, #2)
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • Cinderella: Junior Novel
  • Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia
  • Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #1)
  • 6 books in 1 - Agriculture, Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Sustainable Agriculture, Tropical Agriculture, Farm Animals, Vegetables, Fruit Trees, Chickens, ... Tomatoes, Cucumbers (How To Do Agriculture)
  • Gardening: The Complete Guide To Mini Farming (gardening climatic,gardening herbs, ornamental plant, Square Foot Gardening, Small Space Gardening, Mini Farming For Beginners)
  • Reishi Adept (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #7)
  • Cursed Bones  (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #5)
Willam Edmund Barrett was born in New York City in 1900. He was Roman Catholic which is reflected strongly in his works. On February 15, 1925 he was married to Christine M. Rollman.

He attended Manhatten college. In 1941 he became an aeronautics consultant for Denver Public Library.

He was a member of PEN and the Authors League of America, and also the National Press Club of Washington, D.C. He was