Start by marking “Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)

Cover Me

(Cover Me #1)

When paramedic Nick Swain responds to a shooting in a seedy neighborhood, his entire world is thrown off its axis. His life is threatened…twice. Allegations of racism and medical neglect threaten his career and his ability to sleep at night. Not that he’ll be sleeping any time soon after the incident throws him into the path – and arms – of Detective Andrew Carmichael.

One
ebook, 1st edition, 414 pages
Published September 8th 2010 by Carnal Passions

To ask other readers questions about Cover Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover Me

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
This was a solid 4 star read.

Sadly, I haven't enjoyed a lot of LA Witt's newer stuff. I've had this one on my Kindle for awhile now, got it as a freebie. I was hesitant to read it based on the length but it actually read pretty quick.

Both MCs were likable. The plot was engaging, maybe not too suspenseful...but entertaining nonetheless.

Yeah, the paranoia level was pretty high at times. But it didn't bother me much.

Steam was good, LA Witt usually always delivers there.

Overall, a solid read. I
Gigi
Re-read November 2016 Great comfort re-read! And if you haven't read it, the trilogy is free on Amazon. Great series, recommended.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Wow, did I EVER forget how fucking GREAT this book was! I had originally rated it a measly 4 stars, but I went ahead and bumped it up to 5 stars and then bypassed my favorites shelf and put it on my fuck yeah, 5+ stars shelf. I originally read it and the sequel Search Me back in 2011, the story of a EMT and cop thrown together one fateful night on an em
Meags
3.5 Stars

Nick Swain is a bisexual paramedic who likes to unwind after a tough shift by having copious amounts of sex. It's his way of dealing with the horrible things he experiences while at work, and as unhealthy a coping strategy as it may be, it works for him; for his past partners, not so much.

Nick finds himself in the most stressful work situation yet when on a call he is held at gunpoint while treating a wounded (undercover) detective. He stays as calm as possible and keeps doing his job,
Meep
Mar 01, 2015 marked it as dnf
I got to 28% through persistance and skimming. The writing style doesn't work for me - first person with long conversations interpersed with italic thoughts that came to irritate me.

Nick has a long conversation with his boss then re-hashes it in an even longer conversation with his ex. Witt researched paramedics and delivered a lesson on budget cuts and medical issues. The undercover cop breaks cover and casually gives out full details on suspects to someone he'd just met.

It's repetitive, has a
Candice
There were parts of this story that I felt were good and enjoyable. The paranoia, while it made sense, started to overwhelm the story and became too repetitive for me. I did like both Nick and Andrew and since both had similar stressful jobs, they made sense being together. Towards the end of the book, it seemed like too much was thrown in and that the ending came quickly. I would have liked it if it had been spread out throughout the story and not just be so crazy and dramatic right at the end.
Kaje Harper
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m, mystery
Paramedic Nick Swain has a high-stress job, made worse by budget cuts that leave too few people trying to take care of too big an area. When things get tough, he tries to stuff it all away in his head and lock it there with the aid of hot, hard sex. His last boyfriend was fine with the sex, but not the locking away part, and couldn't deal with being used for relief without knowing what happened. Now Nick is on his own, and after a really bad day he hooks up with one of the people from the scene, ...more
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Nick and Andrew's relationship is hot! It drove me a bit crazy with Andrew constantly putting more ideas into Nicks head when obviously Nick has plenty going on up there on his own. Even though Andrew was doing it to be cautious. I love their raw need for one another, and understood those needs to get passed the emotions and stress of one another’s jobs. It showed just how much they were meant for one another. The plot was great and keeps you on the edge front to back. 4 star worthy!
Chris
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Very good m/m romantic suspense about a paramedic who is consumed by guilt over a judgment call that left someone dead and put his own life in danger. Maybe. If he's not just being paranoid.
Martin
Not my cup of tea. Sex as a way to deal with a trauma? Realism just flew out of the window...
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
3 Stars~

★The writing is done well~
★The plot intresting and pulled me right in.
★MCs were very likable.but, I did not love them :-(
★The research seems to be done well~as far as the paramedic field priority's (done in a military triage style) I did enjoy that~ I also loved the dx and action rendered to the tension-pnemothorax it was done exceptionally well, capturing ALL of my attention on that bit of action~ sweeeeet!

.Lili.
Feb 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
Jane (PS)
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, audiobook, kindle
This book has some very extended descriptive passages that lost my interest. If this story had stuck more to the storyline (with reduced length) I would add a star - that part was pretty well put together; although working out the main antagonist wasn't difficult.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I will be generous and give it three stars. It was too wordy everything was described down to the most boring detail and Nick’s inner dialogue was repetitive and just not interesting. If you cut out half the words it would have been a lot better, IMO
Liz (Bugetta)
Ugh. I'm calling this read even though I'm giving up. I made it 80% and I just don't care about the MCs at all and have zero sympathy and I'm not sure why and don't care enough to figure out why. I'm so glad I got this for free and wish I'd given up earlier. *sigh* Oh well, at least I listened to the audio and was able to do other stuff while listening.
Jewel
Another fine story by LA Witt. This one focuses on Nick, a paramedic and Andrew, a cop. If that sounds like a recipe for excitement - you'd be right. And in their case, the excitement is both in and out of bed.

After a call gone awry, Nick finds himself in the midst of a PR skewering and he's getting death threats. That makes it hard to actually do his job, which he is very good at. Andrew was witness to what went down and what starts as a one night stand to blow off some much needed steam (agai
Lee Brazil
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Did I mention the crazy formatting thing? I think I got this from amazon, and every few paragraphs there are random indents and centering...

But...the story is great. Nick's character's paranoia was well done, the relationship between Andrew and Nick was hot and the depth of emotional connection clear.

The plot was a tiny bit predictable, but with LA Witt's snarky cockeyed slant (I think she could probably make the menu at McDonald's wickedly funny) I really didn't care that I knew who the bad gu
Lori
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I really need to read me some more LA Witt and/or cop stories...

This book was a great read, tense, exciting with some very hot sexy scenes. The whole deal or a paramedic doing his job and being put in danger for it - I liked this immensely. The way a misinterpretation of what someone says can lead to hostility and violence. It opens so well and this pace and energy is carried throughout the book.

A great read.
Marte - Thunderella
Soo, what to say about this book? I liked it, so I gave is 3 stars. I liked that Nick and Andrew found eachother, and the romance developing between them. It was sweet. Unforunately the suspense in the book didn't quite move me. Sorry, but it's the truth. I don't know more what to say. You could read some other review to get another idea about the book I guess.
Heidi Cullinan
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Very much enjoyed this. Not just a cop story, not just a paramedic story: both!
Charly
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, but I didn’t enjoy it all that much

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- The action gets going immediately and gripped me right from the start.
- For once, I actually believed in the speed with which the characters jumped into bed together. Nick has enough of a fixation on having sex after his harrowing ordeal at the start of the story that it felt organic to me that the guys would wind up together so soon afterwards. (see cons be
Janeylou
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0000-sh-recs
Yvonne
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, loaned-book
A 2.5 to 3 star book only for being well written & having a well thought out plot. But I found parts of this boring with too much internal dialogue often repeating the same thing over and over. A first person POV did not help this story. I think we're supposed to feel empathetic not claustrophobic. As for Nick & Andrew, I'm not sure why they're in love other than their similar stressful jobs & they both use sex to unwind. This book could have done with a lot more action and a lot les ...more
Abdul
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 stars.
I liked the book but I just could not get sucked in this. I always like a genre with a cop and a doctor and I really loved this although there was a paramedic but he still close to Doctor. I just could not connect to characters either. Sex was good but it still lacked something I believe. I wanted to be a little long for sex but not a bad book to read. Definitely recommended.
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
3.5 stars rounded up to 4
Heidi
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, part-of-series
I enjoyed these two main characters. Another winner from LA Witt. 4.5 stars
Ottilee B.
A read from my first responder's period. (No, I'm still in that period.) Forgot the 'ol ice-cube-&-warm-mouth trick while blowin' a guy. (Here in CA we use ice for cooling coffee ya know.)

OK, the real review. Lotta sex (this is how they combat 'job stress', the cop and the emt). When I wanted the story to move along, these two were at it again! Was THIS the plot? I thought it was a bit overkill myself. The emt gets death threats from the bad side of town and THIS interested me greatly, more
Caipi
Sorry, but I didn't really care for the characters and was bored most of the time listening to this story.

2,5 stars
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Blood Heat (Dangerous Ground, #3)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more

Cover Me (3 books)
  • Trust Me (Cover Me, #2)
  • Search Me (Cover Me, #3)