Start by marking “The Lumber Room” as Want to Read:
The Lumber Room

The Lumber Room

Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lumber Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lumber Room

Start your review of The Lumber Room
Cecily
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My father introduced me to Saki by reading aloud, with relish and great expression. The familiar opening lines of this story instantly took me back to my pre-teen days:
The children were to be driven, as a special treat, to the sands at Jagborough. Nicholas was not to be of the party; he was in disgrace. Only that morning he had refused to eat his wholesome bread-and-milk on the seemingly frivolous ground that there was a frog in it.

There follows the short tale of a bright child, indignant at
Connie G
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In "The Lumber Room" a clever, bright young boy outsmarts his controlling aunt who is trying to punish him. Although Nicholas is not angelic, he possesses a wonderful imagination that needs to be nourished. Nicholas outwits his aunt--using her own rules--as a way to explore the treasures she keeps hidden in the lumber room, and as an excuse not to rescue her when she slips into the empty rain water tank. The story is humorous, and is sympathetic to the viewpoint of the mischievous child.

Saki is
Laysee
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lumber Room is regarded as one of the best known stories of Saki (a.k.a. Hector Hugh Munro), a British author who writes with generous flashes of Wildean wit and wicked humor. This is my second Saki story and I loved it.

In The Lumber Room, as in Shredni Vashtar, Saki pits a powerless but clever child against a controlling and mean-spirited adult. Any of us who remembers being at the receiving end of penalties meted out by authority figures for a multitude of sins, real or imagined, will
Sidharth Vardhan
Finally a children's story in which it paid to be mischievious.
Ashley
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-read
Utterly delightful. Nicholas is such a charming and witty child. I have always loved children who can outsmart annoying adults :P Ps, I'm not an adult; I'm Ashley ;)
Glen
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story ... One child's ability to manipulate a situation to his favour ... So many times over the years I've contemplated the wolves on the fire screen ... Say no more ...
Claudia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a great short story. It reminded me of my own childhood and the kind of naughty behaviour we had in the past. Lovely. 4 stars.
Jithin James
Fantastically humourous portrayal of the naughtiness mingled innocence of a child and how he outsmarts his aunt!!
K. Anna Kraft
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have arranged my thoughts on this story into a haiku:

"Slick exit artists
Never fail to get away,
Or leave on a gibe."
Sayan Das
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
An uninteresting story with a silly twist
Amilam
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
If the character of Nicholas could be drawn out into a full novel and retain his wit and charm he would surpass even Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
Iliyana
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece in a single page.
Piyumini Buddhika
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this book!!! This book clearly deals with child exploitation, and criticizes the Edwardian period elders....
Lina
The aunt really underestimates that child... I haven't notice that she is not their aunt by birth or marriage until now. She is more like their guardian. I like this vividly imagined tale very much!
Heidi
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you are cataloging books you should ignore the THE at the beginning. I thought most people were aware of that--apparently not.
Samantha Hanson
Sep 10, 2016
Valentina Rozas
Jan 02, 2016
Gloria Tulwan
rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2018

• A Father Brown Mystery: The Strange Crime of John Boulnois
  • A Retrieved Reformation
  • A Telephone Call
  • Luck
Hector Hugh Munro, better known by the pen name Saki, was born in Akyab, Burma (now known as Sittwe, Myanmar), was a British writer, whose witty and sometimes macabre stories satirized Edwardian society and culture. He is considered a master of the short story and is often compared to O. Henry and Dorothy Parker. His tales feature delicately drawn characters and finely judged narratives. "The Open ...more