Start by marking “Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone” as Want to Read:
Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone

Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
There's a whole big world out there. Here's how every woman can get out and conquer it-solo.

This is an inspiring guide for women who want to "fly solo"-yet stay safe, sane, and solvent during their travels. With candid advice and insider's secrets about some of the most exciting places on earth, readers will find:

- A quiz to help determine what sorts of trips best suit
Published February 6th 2007 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about Fly Solo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fly Solo

Kara
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
A very good read for women who like to travel but may not always have a readily available companion. Good read for anyone wanting to know about safe and fun places to go. This book is nice because it rates places on different types of things a person traveling looks for. (I.E. museums as opposed to beaches or bars) I got to read about some must do activities in areas i have always wanted to go and read about a couple places i never really thought about visiting that have quickly moved up on my l ...more
Becca
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
While I am eager to see the world, I am less eager to view it as my own personal hunting ground (the prey being a plethora of foreign men, apparently). Personally, I am in no need to learn "Do you have any condoms?" in Dutch because, frankly, I'm just not that type of girl (Hebt u om het even welke condoms? fyi). Understandably, there is going to be this type of single female traveler (I met a few in Dublin), but for the quieter, more introspective traveler who is honestly just out to see the wo ...more
Arminzerella
Jan 03, 2009 marked it as not-going-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
I started looking at this the other night and it just wasn't appealing. It starts off with a quiz to find out what kind of traveller you are, but even before that it turned me off because it seemed to emphasize travel for the sake of meeting special someones, which isn't really my first priority. I mean, the title indicates that these are going to be places where a girl travels alone. Not that you don't meet people during your travels... It may have some good things to say, but I'm disinterested ...more
Annu
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you are at all adventurous or on a budget, stay away from this book. It's a nice collection of places for someone who is new to traveling, but traveling isn't just about having sex with random guys in other countries. The tone of this book is not for an experienced traveler.
Novieta Tourisia
Written by Teresa Rodriguez Williamson (founder of TangoDiva.com), Fly Solo 'serves set menu' from appetizers to desserts for female who wants to travel by herself but still is afraid to start it.

On the introductory pages, there’s a list of reasons why the writer picked those destinations that includes safety, transportation, social center, variety, friendliness, cost, climate, size, communication, medical and health. Continue with 12 questions that can help in determining the best destinations
Kate M
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers, all women
Shelves: travel
This book is pure fun! I didn't expect to enjoy a book about any kind of travel that wasn't budget and exotic, but I did like the aspect of solo women's travel.

There is a short chapter on each destination -- there are 50 in all, and most of them are cities. Each chapter features the top 10 unique things that you must do, and they rate each destination in terms of activity, weather, social atmosphere and culture.

You can tell that the author and her team are much stronger on the European destinati
Rose
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love to travel, or even just dream of doing so, & you're female, then this is a pretty fun read you might want to try. There's plenty of helpful tips & ideas about traveling all over the world. As it is intended for females traveling alone there's an assumption that you might be single & thus there's quite a few suggestions on where to go to meet cute local men which I found utterly ridiculous, but as some people might actually want that info I'm ok with it. Take whatever help ...more
Ebee
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is suitable for young woman traveler who wants to travel around the world: alone. as i wish to do the same, this handbook is really useful, at least it provides highlights of the trip to make things easier. i haven't really read all the section but "Asia". it makes me wanna hit Thailand and Vietnam as soon as possible. So if you are still want to fly solo, this "Fly Solo" will leads you to be at wherever you want to be - all alone!
3.5. Overall, it was organized well and had some good sights on the list, but it was a little too focused on shopping and partying in these various locales, which isn't my main goal when I travel. There are some locations in here that when I go (not IF I go) I will certainly check back with the book and see what she had to say, and others that I will skip.
Linda
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It gives a lot of great travel ideas and destinations, with weblinks but doesn't distinguish what is best for those who are on a budget. Things that are really expensive are mixed in with good deals, so you need to do your own research. Also the language used gets annoying after awhile...very Spice Girl-y, 'girlpower'! You GO girl...
Shelley
I really like the layout of this book. She gives great overviews of each area. She then gives the break down of the area's overall culture, activity, weather and social aspects. She also gives you 10 experiences that you must do while there and some great tips in what to expect... She did spend a little too much time on the party aspects but that's to be expected when it's about solo travel.
Katherine
Oct 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I would like to see a sequel that's something along the lines of the 50 most dangerous places on earth for a girl to travel alone. I'm not one to play it safe when it comes to travel. However, this book does have some excellent suggestions on things to do in locations all over the world. It's another one of those bad books to read if you're trying to avoid excuses to travel.
Yin
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to travel so I wanted to read this book for some recommendations of places for solo travelers. I found the book to be useful for solo traveler and as general travel guide for some destination spots. I borrow the book from the library but I would definitely buy as a travel reference guide.
flybrarian
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: solo women travelers.
Shelves: travel, women
What a fun book! I prefer traveling solo at times and this is the perfect companion for those adventures. The author chronicles the best places for women to travel alone keeping safety, fun and adventure in mind.
Cammi
Feb 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The title had me hooked, however once I opened the book and began reading I was entirely disappointed. If you've traveled anywhere and do a bit of research on your own, don't bother. The information isn't even detailed enough to be helpful.
jess
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
women, travel, traveling solo, boring, written for single rich white women not me
Lauren Hines
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of helpfull hints and tips for those wanting to take their own adventure. I use it more as a reference when planning a trip or for ideas on where to go next!
Colleen
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly the travel book I've been looking for! I highly recommend for any young woman who's traveling to these places, even if she's not going solo.
Amy
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book with general tourist knowledge; good variety of cities. I didn't finish it because it's written for a party girl looking for men and drinks. The tone put me off.
supercalifragiLINA
LOVED IT! makes me want to travel alone =)
Yuki kojima
May 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, fem
I thought it was going to be kind of personal but it's not much different from a regular guide book in a way... Maybe I expected too much.
MartiRose
  • A Woman's Passion for Travel: True Stories of World Wanderlust
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2009
  • Looking for Lovedu: A Woman's Journey Through Africa
  • Eight Feet in the Andes
  • Delaying the Real World: A Twentysomething's Guide to Seeking Adventure
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • Europe on 5 Wrong Turns a Day: One Man, Eight Countries, One Vintage Travel Guide
  • Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes