Start by marking “The Blacks” as Want to Read:
The Blacks

The Blacks

An English translation of Genet's symbolic drama which was first performed in Paris in 1959.
Published January 18th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Blacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blacks

Start your review of The Blacks
Ahmad Sharabiani
Les Nègres, clownerie = The Blacks, Jean Genet
The Blacks: A Clown Show is a play by the French dramatist Jean Genet. Published in 1958.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1979 میلادی
عنوان: سیاه زنگی ها - نمایشنامه برای اجرا توسط سیاهان؛ نویسنده: ژان ژنه؛ مترجم: احمد کامیابی مسک؛ تهران، احمد کامیابی، 1358، در 206 ص؛ عنوان دیگر: سیاها - یک دلقک بازی از نویسندگان فرانسوی - سده 20 م
ا. شربیانی
Robert Lashley
Sep 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Separated from it's status as a historical document, The Blacks exists an ugly testimony of liberal racism. Premeiring in 1961, it ran for 1400 performances on broadway due to the fact that Genet one upped Richard Wright in shocking-the-white-audience category and an ensemble that would have made Friday After Next seem like King Lear ( James Earl Jones, Maya Angelou, Louis Gossett jr, Cicely Tyson, roscoe Lee Browne). Beneath the refried Pirandellian structures of pseudo conquest and the ...more
Tijana
Dec 10, 2017 added it
Žene iz sve snage fetišizira crnce na isti lirsko-brutalni način kao i svoj standardni polusvet u romanima, i jasno je što je ovo kad se pojavilo delovalo kao revolucionarno pozorište, ali u poređenju s njegovom prozom ipak je znatno slabije i prilično pregaženo vremenom.
George Spirakis
Είναι η δεύτερη φορά που "τα βάζω" με τον Genet και πραγματικά δεν ταιριάζουμε.
Σίγουρα πολύ βαθιά νοήματα και υπαινιγμοί, αλλά δεν ξέρω τι τελικά απ' όλα αυτά μένει ακέραιο επί σκηνής.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
This play & The Screens are probably my 2 favorite Genet plays. At the beginning of the play, Genet wrote:

"This play, written, I repeat, by a white man, is intended for a white audience, but if, which is unlikely, it is ever performed before a black audience, then a white person, male or female, should be invited every evening. The organizer of the show should welcome him formally, dress him in ceremonial costume and lead him to his seat, preferably in the front row of the orchestra. The
R.K. Byers
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
hit some high notes and the suggestion that White women need to be killed before Black men can love Black women was interesting, but more really weird than really good.
Sofia
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked some bits (the themes and some specific quotations are an excellent point de départ for a debate) but in general the play is very hard to read because it’s all too chaotic and over the top and the notes on the mise en scène don’t help. It is super clear how this was made to be seen rather then read.
Metin Yılmaz
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
Okunması çok zor bir kitaptı. Ayrıntı yayınları bu konuda belki birşeyler yapabilirlerdi. Kitabın okunamaması için ise ya çeviriyi suçlayacağız ya da yazarı. Belki ileride tekrar denerim ama şu an bana zor bir okuma yaşattığından zorlayarak bitirdiğim kitaplar arasında yer alıyor...
ElHaM
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
پیشخدمت: [انگار با خودش حرف میزند] این دنیا به یک گردگیری حسابی لازم دارد، باید یک قابدستمال تر و تمیز رویش کشید. ...more
Leonardo
Aug 16, 2018 marked it as to-keep-reference
Citado en El Siglo Pág.3
Laura Pena
Confused about the stage setup didn’t gather the court comes down to main stage
Katharina Lutz
yeah umm this was not it
Hiba Trefi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The possibility for seeing from a different perspective is forever present, it is us who fails to look outside the window.. Black and white are names that we create and attach to certain colors but when it comes to identity we are to be assimilated with so many different colors.. and thus nothing is essential.. black can be white and white can be black so these are nothing at the end, merely roles that we play.
Daria
I was very lucky to see a Robert Wilson staging of Les Negres in Paris. It at last convinced me, I believe, that a piece of art that is incomprehensible is by no means less brilliant because of it.

UPDATE: I wonder if Les Negres owns anything to Aime Cesaire's Et les chiens se taisaient? I read Cesaire's play for a paper on him and understood very little of the work, but now would be curious to go back and examine it with a more competent eye. It is as surrealistic as Genet's play and treats
Alessia Savi
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Personalmente ho preferito "Il balcone" di Genet a "I negri". Quest'opera - meno visionaria, in un certo senso, rispetto alla precedente - è risultata molto più complessa e caotica. Alcuni dei personaggi - soprattutto il gruppo dei Negri - risultano forti e senza filtri, e diverse situazioni sono rese alla perfezione. Tuttavia credo che la piece si adagi un po' su sé stessa, in un gioco delle parti che - sulla carta - diventa un caotico miscuglio di maschere e contromaschere. Decisamente ...more
Ali
Jun 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-plays
Gene insists that “The Blacks” is written by a White man for Black men. According to him, there must be at least one white person among the audiences! It’s a “play in play”, act by one group of blacks with white masques...
ژنه که سعی داشته نشان دهد این نمایش نامه را "سفید"ی برای "سیاهان" نوشته، خواسته تا نمایش نامه توسط سیاهان، برای سیاهان، و با ماسک های سفید اجرا شود.

در مورد "تیاتر ابزورد" اینجا را بخوانید
Karlo Mikhail
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing! The clown show as ritual performance of black resentments against the white oppressor. This turns out to be an elaborate artifice that conceals another act offstage. A powerful yet playful vision of revolutionary terror.
Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was not for me..I don't know why but it just didn't click. Maybe this is something that has to be seen visually rather than read. That having been said I'd definitely try something else by this playwright.
Greg
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible play by Jean Genet. The rich texture of language and an ending that was well received.
Mohammad Ali
برای کسی مثل من که فاقد درک ابهامات ادبی و هنری است، این اثر همراه با ترجمه اش یکسره ابهام بود. ممکن بود این صفحه یا آن صفحه را بفهمم اما کلا باید بگویم که از این اثر سردرنیاوردم. ..
Emma
Jul 27, 2014 added it
I think the notes are really important to read this book, so many metaphorical names and everything. But interesting when it's explained to you.
Purple Iris
Oct 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It might be me, but I just did not feel this at all. Maybe I need to see it?
Amy
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's for a white audience. If this is to play for an all black audience, make sure you throw a white in there or it won't work. I think that's a good beginning. . .
Anna P
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
A French person? Write a play about racial injustice? Not as inconceivable as you thought, apparently.
Cara
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet-shit
Not to be snobby, but I have some beef with the translation, but I couldn't find the French version.
Elizabeth
Reading this made me think how much more I would have enjoyed seeing it performed.
Rokadana
rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2017

• El Gran Vidrio
  • Shiki Nagaoka: Una nariz de ficción
  • Don Juan: His Own Version
  • La double inconstance
  • The Book of Questions: Volume II [IV. Yael, V. Elya, VI. Aely, VII. El, Or the Last Book]
  • Velhasıl
  • The Two Fundamental Problems of Ethics
Jean Genet (1910-1986), poet, novelist, playwright, and political essayist, was one of the most significant French writers of the twentieth century. His work, much of it considered scandalous when it first appeared, is now placed among the classics of modern literature and has been translated and performed throughout the world.