Start by marking “Roverandom” as Want to Read:
Roverandom

Roverandom

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  9,751 Ratings  ·  602 Reviews
In 1925, while on vacation with his family on the Yorkshire coast, four-year-old Michael Tolkien lost his favorite toy, a little lead dog he was reluctant to put down even to dig in the sand. To console and distract him, his father, J. R. R. Tolkien, improvised a story - the story of Rover, a real dog magically transformed into a toy, who, after many fantastic adventures i ...more
Published April 15th 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Roverandom, please sign up.
emre yuvarlak No, Tolkien wrote this story for his son. There is no connection with LOTR or Hobbit. But you can read this book because i think you'll like it.

Bookdragon Sean
This is a fantastically childish book that is thoroughly charming; it really captures the essence of Tolkien’s softer themes and humour. Not everything has to be constantly dark and foreboding for his writing to be successful. This is simple, imaginative and a good little bit of fun.

The tale is quaint and fairly short in which a dog, initially named Rover, is turned into a toy as an act of revenge because he bit a mean old sand sorcerer. Some people really are that petty. This leads to a series
leynes
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roverandom is a novella by J.R.R. Tolkien, originally told in 1925, about the adventures of a young dog, Rover. In the story, an irritable wizard turns Rover into a toy, and Rover goes to the moon and under the sea in order to find the wizard again to turn him back into a normal-sized dog.
The blind was down; but outside the moon rose up out of the sea, and laid the silver path across the waters that is the way to places at the edge of the world and beyond, for those that can walk on it.
Tolkien
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little tale.
A little bit manic in parts but full of imagination and a bit of fun.
Definitely one from the days when a kids book was supposed to challenge rather than mimic a childs vocabulary.
Fahime
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
داستان در مورد یک سگ کوچولو به نام رُوِره که به خاطر یک مسئلهی بی اهمیت، به یک جادوگر پارس میکنه و شلوارشو گاز میگیره. جادوگر هم عصبانی میشه و اونو تبدیل به یک سگ اسباببازیِ ریزهمیزه میکنه. رُوِر هم که حالا خیلی کوچولو شده، به دنبال جادوگر تا ماه و بعد تا ته اقیانوس میره تا راضیش کنه طلسمش رو باطل کنه.
مخاطبان کتاب بچهها هستن، اما کلی از موجودات موردعلاقهی تالکین اینجا هم هستن: عنکبوت، اژدها، گابلینها و ... اینجا هم آتشفشان هست و زمین صافه.
قلم تالکین هم به قدری فوقالعادهست که من کلی از خوندنش ل
Buğra Aydoğan
Roverrandom, Yüzüklerin Efendisi ve Silmarillion gibi J.R.R. Tolkien'in devleri arasında kaybolan, kıyıda köşede kalmış eserlerden biri. Oğlu Michael’ın oyuncak köpeğini kaybetmesi üzerine yazmaya başladığı, Rover adında bir köpeğin, bir büyücünün pelerinini ısırıp, büyücü tarafından oyuncağa dönüştürülmesini anlatan eğlenceli bir hikaye. Orta Dünya’da geçmemesi de Roverrandom’u diğer Tolkien eserlerinden ayırıyor. Roverrandom'u benim için değerli kılan şey eğlenceli hikayesi değil Tolkien'in ha ...more
Jason
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
My father remarried a few months ago, and my stepmother still owns her own house. She's been cleaning it out for a while, and getting rid of odds and ends (mostly belonging to her ex-husband). She came across this and my father grabbed it to give to me since he knows I like Tolkien. I'm very glad he did. I had never heard of this book before, and was interested in checking it out.

Evidently Tolkien wrote it for, or maybe just told it to, his second son after said son had lost a toy dog on a beach
X
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien *can* write a story with a happy ending! It's a very charming tale, closer in style to "The Hobbit" than LOTR, but lighter and full of colloquialisms and word plays (many of which were lost on me!) that are rare in his other books. As he never prepared it to be published, there are a few loose ends and anomolies, but they are easily overlooked.
S.M. Carrière
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness this was an adorable read!

It is a book for very young children, so don't expect anything heavy and involved - I finished the book in two hours (an hour a sitting).

That said, one of the things I really, really, really love about Tolkien is that he doesn't pander to his audience. There are words and puns, usages and phrases that one would think that you would have to be older to understand and appreciate. Tolkien, however, does not ever so insult his audience. His complicated words
Bekah
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I NOT give this five stars? It was just too funny and adorable. Is it the best thing ever written? Certainly not. It's not even the best thing Tolkien ever wrote. But it is a really quirky story about magic and mischief and a lost dog. It doesn't hurt that the story was written as a way to cheer up Tolkien's son Michael when he lost a toy dog on a trip to the seaside. Just a short children's fantasy book, that would no doubt be a classic if it were not so overlooked and forgotten.
Tempo de Ler
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embora mais curto e simples que os trabalhos que já tive oportunidade de ler de J. R. R. Tolkien, Roverandom é de uma criatividade igualmente genial.

Do infeliz encontro de um cão chamado Rover com um feiticeiro não muito simpático resulta que, por não usar as simples palavras "por favor", Rover acaba transformado num pequeníssimo cão de brincar. Assim, acabamos por partir com Rover numa maravilhosa aventura desde a superfície da Lua até às profundezas do mar!

Embora o fantástico não seja o meu g
Amy | shoutame
My overall thoughts:

1. This book follows the tale of a dog named Rover who incurs the wrath of a wizard and gets shrunk down to a tiny size. We follow him on his mission to find the wizard so he can be returned to his original size. Whilst on this quest he ventures to the moon and down to the depths of the ocean, all the while making friends and discovering things he didn't know about himself.

2. I love J.R.R. Tolkien and think this is one of the quaintest little reads I have read in a long time!
Daria
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posiadane
Takie bajki mogę czytać swoim dzieciom.
Eda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok hoş bir masal kitabı bitirdim az önce. Tolkien en sevdiğim yazarlardan biridir ve onun kaleminden böyle tatlı bir hikaye okumak çok güzeldi.

Aslında bahsedilecek çok bir şey yok kitap hakkında ama kısaca konusuna değineyim. Rover adlı bir köpek var. Bir gün bir büyücünün paçasını ısırınca büyücü onu oyuncağa çeviriyor ve Rover kendini bir maceranın içerisinde buluyor. Tabiri caizse başına gelmeyen kalmıyor. Ve biz bu serüveni okuyoruz.

İleride çocuklarıma uyku masalı yapacağım bir kitap oldu
Brandon Miller
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Don't you ever let anyone tell you that all lost dog stories are he same.
Ever.

As a fledgling reader, I enjoyed Lassie Come Home (though it took me about a year and a half to finish.) Somehow, somewhere, the lost dog story just appealed to me. I read more Lassie books when I was young than I would care to admit, and a number of other animal stories.
None of them were like this.
None of them involved wizards or trips to the dark side of the moon or the PAM.
None of them were as good as this.

Roverando
Evi *
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C’è già tutto Tolkien in questa adorabile favola che in veste di padre scrisse per consolare un suo figlioletto che aveva smarrito un giocattolo.
Un Tolkien sereno, che affabula senza porsi il dilemma delle forze del bene e del male in lotta come farà in seguito nel suo meraviglioso capolavoro, seguiamo deliziati le avventure di un cane reale che per incantesimo viene miniaturizzato e dotato di piccole alucce, lo osserviamo con lo sguardo in su mentre vola sulla Luna nascosto tra le penne di un g
Myles
As wonderful and rich and moving as he may be sometimes, Tolkien can be terribly boring.

There is something of the lightness that makes The Hobbit so much fun, but since Tolkien never fully prepped this book for publication, the final effort was never made to make this appealing to children. I'm sure Roverandom was much better when it was a homey story exclusively for his children.

When reading this my first mistake was to read the introduction, which didn't leave off at telling the provenance o
Jenny
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a cute book but not my favorite of Tolkien's. I couldn't help but compare to it other books that a famous author father wrote for his children about mystical lands and containing elegant wordplay: Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie, which are much more entertaining and skillful. However, I'm a Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed this book. It's not up to the level of The Hobbit for me, which I've read about seven times--I would never reread Roverandom--b ...more
Chris
So what to say about this?

First, honestly, if you are going to have notes in the back of the book, could you please (with a cherry on top) let the reader know when there is a note? Just saying.

This is not as good as LOTR or the Hobbit,yet a reader can see the beginnings of both in this story. It is hard not to see figure of Gandalf and even Biblo in this short story about a dog. It isn't, I think, as child friendly to outloud reading as the Hobbit. It lacks that later book's charm.
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars, rounded down. Cute and readable, but a mere trifle in Tolkien's pantheon. I know it was intended as a child's fairy tale, but it nonetheless just feels lacking to me, given that it was written by an master of fantasy fiction.
Es increíble la imaginación que tenía Tolkien.
Escribir un cuento así partiendo de un hecho tan "normal" es de admirar.

Las descripciones que hace de los lugares que visita Rover te hacen viajar directamente a la Tierra Media, con sus magos, sus dragones...

Simplemente genial.
Kimberley doruyter
cute sweet story to read to your kids before bedtime.
Phire
Had to read this for a presentation, which I'm doing this week. As much as it shames me to admit, this was my very first J.R.R.Tolkien book. Obviously I know The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies, I'm in love with them, and I will hopefully read the books soon. I am thinking about writing an essay on The Hobbit.

Roverandom is a quick entertaining read, it is not, however, very memorable. I think the story behind this book is way more interesting, if I'm allowed so to say. This book is actually
Hannah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet little book that Tolkien wrote for his son about a puppy who bit the wrong wizard's trousers and became a toy by way of enchantment. He makes friends and travels to fascinating places before finding the wizard again and asking to be changed back to how he was before. This is a great book for children and adults alike!
Marina Balinska
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice combination of classic Tolkien creativity and a touch of humor. This was very enjoyable read.
Elsie Stoltzfus
This is such a fun story! I can't believe that I hadn't read it before now. It is truly a delight to read!
Jan
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nederlands onderaan.

I liked the story as it was intended, a tale for children. However, I'm terribly disappointed I read this in the Dutch translation. Not to say that the translation was bad per se, but I think it lost a lot of the magic of Tolkiens use of language. In the introduction there's a lot of mentions of all his language games and when I read those little English snippets, I felt a pang of regret of not getting the English edition. Alas, my library doesn't carry that.

I was also misled
Caitlin
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. R. R. Tolkien has often been put into the "lengthy authors" category due to The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit. Noted for his complex histories, languages, and peoples, what really isn't known about Tolkien is that he could write the occasional bit of comedic fairytale. Roverandom is a delightful story about a little dog named Rover who bites a wizard's trousers out of annoyance and is turned into a toy dog. He then has many wonderful adventures, some of which involve going to the M ...more
Daren
So I read this because it is Tolkien, and I haven't come into contact with anything other than the regulation Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (and the Silmarillion, but lets not go there), so I was interested to see how his kids books worked.
I thought it was pretty good. There are the Tolkienesque elements such as touching on his mythology (which are fairly boringly summarised in the introduction and the notes section at the end), and or course wizards and dragons. Written around 1925, (the Hobbit
Majo
"—¿Es cierto que los sueños se hacen realidad?
—Algunos, pero no todos. Y rara vez enseguida, o exactamente como eran cuando se soñaron."

Tolkien escribió este libro para una de sus hijos, cuando perdió un perrito de juguete en la playa. Así, nos relata las aventuras de un perro, Rover, quién se cruza en el camino de magos, dragones y ballenas en su viaje de regreso a casa.

Es muy bonito y tierno, con enseñanzas como el respeto y la amistad. Aunque me pareció un poco pesado en algunos momentos y se
Mayra Sigwalt
This was so funny and sweet. But I think the story is a little bit too long for children. Dunno

Historia muito engraçada e fofa!! Mas eu acho que ela se estende demais para uma historia infantil. Não sei.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Roverandom [Jul 25, 2018] 8 42 Jun 26, 2018 05:32AM
TwitBookClub: May 2016 - 'Roverandom' by JRR Tolkien 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 09:30AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Roverandom 4 81 Dec 28, 2015 08:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 2 13 Feb 13, 2015 10:20AM
Silver Stag Book ...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 1 5 Jan 27, 2014 07:38PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read for April-July 2013: Roverandom 6 38 Apr 26, 2013 01:37AM
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • The Place of the Lion
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Rover did not know in the least where the moon's path led to, and at present he was much too frightened and excited to ask, and anyway he was beginning to get used to extraordinary things happening to him.” 20 likes
“I did nothing but run away from the time I was a puppy, and I kept on running and roving until one fine morning - a very fine morning, with the sun in my eyes - I fell over the world's edge chasing a butterfly.” 12 likes