Start by marking “Sermons of Meister Eckhart” as Want to Read:
Sermons of Meister Eckhart

Sermons of Meister Eckhart

Johannes Eckhart - (ca. 1260-1327), German Dominican mystic
Meister Eckhart (in English, Master Eckhart; born Johannes Eckhart; also called Eckhart von Hocheim; also spelled Eckehart) was a theologian, a writer, and the greatest German mystic of the Middle Ages. His writings focused on the relationship of the individual soul to God.

Born in Hochheim, Eckhart joined the
Published (first published 1300)

To ask other readers questions about Sermons of Meister Eckhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sermons of Meister Eckhart

Start your review of Sermons of Meister Eckhart
Dennis
I picked up the kindle version of this book after seeing it on Bishop Robert Barron's reading list for spiritual theology. It's a very short read, consisting of seven sermons from Meister Eckhart, a 13th/14th century German priest of the Dominican order.

Each sermon is based on a particular Bible verse or chapter he singled out. The list of Chapters is as such and i've also included some of my favorite quotations:

I - The Attractive Power of God (John 6:44)
The Father draweth with the might of His
Jonathan Widell
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meister Eckhart turned out to be pretty much what I expected him to be but now I can understand him a bit better. Meister Eckhart's mysticism is not so much about experiencing something supernatural as it is about understanding that God is beyond time and space while we as humans are limited by time and space. Therefore our ascent to God is as much an intellectual as a spiritual exercise. The study of metaphysics and some (then) familiar Scriptures will guide us to God if undertaken in the right ...more
Donatella
Libro molto complesso, lo prendo e lo lascio da molti anni
Lani
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Way to live? Sanctification!

Daily I am being fed by Meister Eckhart’s wisdom and highly recommend this book. Great inspiration is found on every page but particularly in his detailed guidance on “how” to grow closer to Oneness with God.
Joseph Delcourt
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
amazingly up to date
brilliant & inspired
a life companion
Igor Stojanov
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Meister Echart tries to give more lucidity to the concepts of the Holy Trinity and God. He narrates his view of Christianity from a subjective lens. As such, he shortens the distance between the spirit of the Bible and our spirit. It is a good introduction on Christian Mysticism.

Some excerpts I enjoyed:
but by the resolute endeavour to abstract ourselves from time and space, we can, according to Eckhart, at rare moments, attain to the Absolute by virtue of what he calls "the spark" (Funkelein)
Phil Calandra
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The fundamental philosophy of Meister Eckhart is that the "Absolute" or "Abstract Unity" or "God" is devoid of all attributes and that we are formed by means of a "spark" of the "Divine". This spark enlivens and sustains us and is the basis of our consciousness. In contrast, our finite self which is an outgrowth of our eternal self, is represented by our mind and body. Unfortunately, we often identify with these finite expressions instead of the eternal aspect of our "Self". This is not an easy ...more
Kreed

VI. Sanctification: 4.9
VII. Outward and inward morality: 4.7
Frits Haverkamp
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I wouldn't say everything Eckhart writes is amazing...at least to me...but who am I to judge? However, there was some profoundly good pearls in these sermons that made them worth the read. They are short and easy get through and it is 'fun' to connect to the a past preacher.
Eddie

• The Joy of Being: Awakening to One's True Identity
  • More Pricks Than Kicks
  • Arizona Sketches
  • Dante and the Lobster
  • An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment? (Great Ideas)
  • The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
  • Freedom from the World: Bridging the Dimensions of Form and Formlessness
Eckhart von Hochheim, commonly known as Meister Eckhart, was a German theologian, philosopher and mystic, born near Gotha, in Thuringia.

Meister is German for "Master", referring to the academic title Magister in theologia he obtained in Paris. Coming into prominence during the decadent Avignon Papacy and a time of increased tensions between the Franciscans and Eckhart's Dominican Order of
“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” 624 likes
“If God told an angel to go to a tree and pluck caterpillars off it, the angel would be quite
ready to do so, and it would be his happiness, if it were the will of God.”
1 likes