Start by marking “Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Custom-Color Your Favorite Fibers with Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Discover the colorful joys of hand dyeing your own yarn and fleece. It's easy, fun, and can be done right in your own kitchen! Self-taught dyer Gail Callahan shows you a variety of simple techniques to turn plain, outdated, or leftover yarn into vibrant "new" fibers using ovens, crockpots, frying pans, and other standard kitchen equipment. Detailed advice on color theory, ...more
Published February 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece

Kristin
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
An amazing book about dyeing yarn. I avoided it for a while, because it uses professional dyes and I generally do natural dyeing or Kool-Aid/food coloring dyes. But that was silly, because these techniques and ideas work just as well with food-safe dyes! I've already tried out one of the "recipes," and I'm so excited to try more.

The instructions are nice and detailed, the photos are lovely, and the whole book is incredibly inspiring. :)
Deborah Gafford
I have almost every book on spinning, weaving and dyeing that's out there and thought this sounded good to add to my library. Little did I know that it would become my all-time FAVORITE book on dyeing!! I started reading it one morning then had to stop to do other things, but it was so good I went back to it in the evening and didn't put it down until I finished it near midnight!

It is very well written, clear, easy to understand and "friendly". You almost feel as if you are there experiencing th
Ina
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handcrafts
Glad that I decided for an English book. I expected a little bit more, and I got it. All the basics are covered (things I didn't think about) like how to set up your dye 'studio', supplies needed, fixation methods, the role of different fibers and plies, preparing the yarn, color theory and dyeing methods I didn't know before.
The only thing I missed were some basic color 'recipes'. I would have liked to get some informations how to mix 'difficult' colors like apricot or shades of brown from the
kingshearte
This book got me very excited to try dyeing some yarns. For the time being, I'll have to stick to food-based dyes, I think, since I simply don't have room in my kitchen for extra supplies to use for anything potentially toxic. At any rate, this book discusses various techniques and uses very readily-available equipment, making the whole thing very accessible. Like I said, I'm excited to try some of it!
Nicolette
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest to goodness the best beginner's dyeing book I've read. Ms. Callahan makes the "mystery" of dyeing yarn easy to understand. She provides concepts but it's up to the dyer to investigate with different brands of food, and or acid dyes. She gives more than enough to get the dyer's appetite wet.

Well written, beautiful photos, concise instructions and a variety of techniques can all be found in this book. Definitely a must have for any yarn fibre artist interested in dyeing.
September Michaud
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
Awesome! Very visual guide to dying yarn and comes in a spiral-bound format that lays flat! Focuses on protein fibers, but the techniques are still useful for those who want to dye plant fibers. Checked this one out from the library, but I think I will need my own copy so I can reference it while dying and not worry about dropping dyes on it.
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in less than half a day. It wasn't as in-depth as I'd hoped. Great book for beginners, but if you've read a few internet articles and played around a bit already, this isn't the book to take you to the next level. I thought it was and so I'm disappointed. But that's a problem of expectations, not a problem with the book. It is well organized, clear, and inspiring.
Keith
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book on dyeing yarn, but I found the basic techniques to be more involved than what i do. I've found this true of other books as well and can't figure out why they make it more convoluted than it needs to be. Still, there were some techniques in here I hadn't known about, and I liked the patterns included for showing off your hand-dyed yarns!
Shirley Baker
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful reference book. I have been spinning yarn and hand dyeing for over forty years, yet I have found some great new processes and ideas in this book, especially the use of a slow cooker for dyeing which is now my favoured process.
Kristy Bryson
Excellent resource with lots of techniques for acid dyeing yarn. Includes helpful color theory info, but not as thorough as Wilcox or Susan Rex as focus is on dyeing process. Includes some patterns, but none that captured my fancy.
Kerry
This is the first book on dying yarn that I've come across that didn't make me feel like it was an impossible task. I'm still a little overwhelmed by the entire process, but I will eventually buy all the stuff I need and give it a try.
Daniel
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This is the most helpful book I have read and used for acid dyes. Many methods for dying are presented in a clear and concise manner.
Josiphine/Tessa
Very interesting. I'd like to try some of these techniques very much now.
Tracy Hall-Ingram
Explains in great detail how to dye using various techniques. Feel confident to try dying now.
Dora
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best book on dyeing yarn. It gives more information than most books on dyeing. Also teaches some color theory.
Lenora Carey
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for anyone wanting to enter the yarn and fleece dyeing world.
Cayenne
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. She makes dyeing seem so easy. She covers everything a beginner dyer like myself would want to know.
Denae
An excellent book for a beginning dyer and I have been assured it will remain a good resource. I especially like that it has the spiral binding. I have a dyeing date on Sunday and I can't wait!
Camille
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book for dyeing your own fibers. I love that so many different ways to dye are covered and basic color theory is addressed.
Sandy  Kemp
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning wool/yarn dyers
Shelves: making-yarn
Got me excited to dye. Wish she used Jacquard dyes instead of Sabra, as Jacquard are much more widely available. Someone needs to write a book on dying with Jacquard dyes!
Caroline Doree
Christine
Apr 22, 2015
  • Respect the Spindle
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Color in Spinning
  • Start Spinning
  • The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns
  • Wild Color, Revised and Updated Edition: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes
  • A Dyer's Garden
  • Spin Control
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • In Sheep's Clothing
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • Spinning in the Old Way: How (and Why) to Make Your Own Yarn with a High-Whorl Handspindle
  • Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »