Start by marking “Wild” as Want to Read:
Wild

Wild

(Selene and Eve #1)

The only thing that frightens shapeshifter Selene Rhodes more than the full moon is the idea of falling in love.

Selene Rhodes has lived her whole life with a terrible secret: not only can she take the form of any animal at will, but once a month the full moon transforms her into a fierce wolf-creature without a human conscience. Managing her condition means living by a str
Published June 14th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild

Luce
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 STARS for a re-read, this time for the audio book.

Excellent narrator (Alexandria Wilde) that added to the experience and a star. Each voice was distinctive, though I'm not sure if Selene's accent is necessarily Italian. It was mentioned in the book as "European" when Jac could not place her accent so I guess it fits.

I believe this is O'Brien's only paranormal book (unless you count "The Muse")? I wouldn't mind if wrote another or even revisit this couple. Unlike many p
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose O’Brien’s ‘Wild’ continuing with my new year resolution to read more lesbian books out of my comfort zone. Thanks, Tere for the recommendation! I’m so glad I decided to finally take the plunge and read it. It’s true that it deals with a vicious serial killer and there are violence and some disturbing content which normally are triggers for me, but the author handles them with finesse.

Selene Rhodes is a reclusive designer who hides a secret, not only she can shift to any other animal shap
Just a man's point of view
I really liked this book.
I'm usually not a fan of werewolves with heightened sexual frenzy, but, in this case, there was a great stress on feelings, and the result was rather delicate. Erotic parts were harmoniously melted with inner emotions of the characters and they are really nice. There's much consideration and attention between them, even an ideal sincerity. I appreciated it.
Also, reading is compelling and there is an intriguing thriller subplot, even if the end is a bit predictable.
But wh
lov2laf
I'd rate this book around 3.75 stars.

I found myself really pulled in and entertained...ie, couldn't stop reading so the writing style and premise were compelling. There is an insta-love, animal-like connection between the leads, Selene and Eve, which I forgive more in this paranormal genre than if it was a straight romance. The story arc, dialogue, characters, intimacy scenes, etc all work and, overall, this is a better than average read.

What dinged it is Selene, the shape-shifter's, character
Sprinkles
I believe this was one of my first strolls into erotic lesbian romance. Makes me kick myself, considering that it took so long to start. Her characters are so vivid I can practically picture them. Or, visuals I find the most attractive suit Eve and Selene. Either way, it's a pleasure, really.

The paranormal angle is a delightful twist. Enough of it to add zest and intrigue to the story, but not so much that my eyes glazed over walls of description text. At the very heart of this, it's a steamy, g
T
I read this a couple years ago but just listened to the Audible version of it. The sultry yummy voice of the narrator turned this 4 star book into a 5 star audio book experience.
Book Worm
I loved to listen to this audiobook. What more can a girl want? A thrilling crime case, a shape-shifter, telepathy, romance ... a great narrator. It's been a treat.
I love how O'Brien can create characters I REALLY like and identify with (well apart from Kev).
However, I've decided from now on to review the cover as well. Even though I do not judge a book by its cover (mostly), I'm really sad, when the cover does not show how truly great the book is.
So, what is it that I don't like about the cove
Megzz
What an entertaining story!

It sounds like the typical "supernatural girl falls for the human" and vice versa story, but it really is different from anything I've read before. Selene might be a shape shifter, but she's spent half her life hiding and suppressing her true self, which makes her every bit as vulnerable as any human being (if not more). Her story is incredibly touching: she's been alone and lonely for years, and doesn't expect her life to change, ever. Of course, once Eve, brave, swee
Marilyn
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a fun ride. I liked both characters. I wish there hadn't been a serial killer, but you can't have everything. ;)
Tara
Wild by Meghan O’Brien is a paranormal romance with a heavy emphasis on the romance. It’s got the sexiness we all expect from this author, but with a shifter and a wannabe serial killer thrown in the mix, it’s totally different from anything else she’s published.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/wild-...

Podcast episode here: https://thelesbiantalkshow.podbean.co...
Samantha Luce
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Exciting, sexy, fun, and one hell of an adventure. Please oh please let there be a sequel. If you get the audio version it will blow you away. The narrator brought the characters to life. Very sexy.
C. Mack
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sexy super natural thriller!

I really enjoyed this psycological thriller, supernatural mash-up. It is took me a while to read, but only because I tend to read at night and some of the content got the darker, more morbid part of my imagination too riled up to sleep comfortably...I know I'm a wimp, thats why my usual style are sexy romances, for sweet dreams of course!
So, this is different from any other M B books I've read, but still superbly written with plenty of steamy bits entwined in the s
Lissa

Selene Rhodes is a shapeshifter, and to keep her secret, she's closeted herself off from life. At the mercy of the full moon once a month, she works from home, is friendless, and definitely doesn't have a social or dating life. That is, until she finds a wounded woman in a nearby park, and there is an inexplicable attraction between the two of them.

Dr. Eve Thomas is used to studying corpses, but she almost becomes one herself on a simple early morning walk - until she's saved by a wolf
Lexxi Kitty
Jan 10, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Lexxi Kitty by: no one
Despite giving this book a five star rating the first time I read it, I can't finish the audio book 'rereading'. The reason can be seen through my updates:

10/30/2016
4.0% "I hope there are not a lot of men in this book. I forget now the ratio of men/women in this story. For this narrator can't do men. It hurts my ears each time she attempts to do a male voice. I'm going to end up with a headache if I having to hear her with this harsh scratchy male voice."
10/30/2016
5.0% "Oh damn. There is ano
Jae Jae
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I really liked Meghan O'Brien's Endgame and Battle Scars, but while Wild isn't badly written per se, I didn't like it as much. It didn't have enough world building to work as paranormal fiction. Selene is the only shape-shifter/werewolf around, and she doesn't even seem to wonder if there are others like her.

It's more of a romance than a paranormal novel, but even the romance didn't fully convince me. For someone who avoided emotional attachments for many years, she let herself enter into a rel
Sascha Broich
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather unique take on the shape shifter genre.
Mixed with an jealous ex girlfriend cop and a psychopathic serial killer.
In these modern days Selene's problem should be quite easy to solve. HD wildlife cameras are cheap and easy to buy. A restraining basement with a time lock shouldn't be hard to get too.
Otherwise it's a dear story.
Jodie Atkinson
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wild is a wonderful new paranormal romance by Meghan O'Brien. I enjoyed it so much, that when I sat down to write the review the day after I finished it, I opened the ebook up to check details and ended up reading the whole thing again.

From the first page we're immersed in the world of shape shifter, Selene Rhodes. We're introduced to Selene the night of a full moon and the lengths she must go to, to keep herself restrained on the one night of the month she has no control over her ability. Her
Lunatic
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is a great mixture of mystery, serial killer, investigation, romance, and love triangle- scratch that, I mean third wheel.
After several months of slow paced- slice of life romance books, I decided to pick a paranormal genre for a change of pace. As expected from this author, the romance happened so fast. There is a connection between the main couple that appeared out of nowhere with an abrupt ending where I feel like an epilogue is a must for this kind of story. After all, I really wa
jenTed
Disclaimer:
I prefer to read M/M books and this was my first taste of reading F/F. I was curious to see if I'd like it as much as I do the M/M ones.

With that said, over all the book was pretty good. I liked the story line. The murder/mystery and shifter parts of the book were great. If I was going to rate the book based only on that, I'd maybe give it 4 stars. However I want to include the fact that I was looking for some steamy ff sex scenes and felt that I was left lacking in that aspect. It se
Alli
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2011, lgbt, fantasy
Not bad, overall, I liked the story and the characters. The only problem I had was the author's over use of the word 'pussy,' especially in what would otherwise be fairly romantic scenes. I was really into the story the first 60 pages, and the first usage of it completely knocked me out of it. Continued to do so throughout the rest of the book as well. Not that I have anything against the word itself, it just was very jarring.
Nathan Cross
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read Meghan O'Brien's "Thirteen Hours", which was a fantastically composed and well thought-out work of fiction. It inspired me to search for more of her work, and thus I came across "Wild". Meghan O'Brien continues her unique style of writing which makes even the most unbelievable of events seem totally believable and nothing too made-up..
I finished reading it today, and I will definitely give it another read. Looking forward to more of her work.
Raven
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story was cute... a hell of a lot cuter than I was expecting actually. I like that it didn't get super focused on the dark murderous aspects but still covered the POV of the killer. I like the dominant aspects of Selene... so it was a little surprising that at the end she was more docile and subby...but yeah, I enjoyed this one.
Ezra
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only reason I felt like I had to take a star off, is that I think there should have been an epiloge or something at the end, the plot points were resolved but I still felt like it was too abrupt of an ending.

Hoping for a sequel though!
K. Aten
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Nice tale. Lots of suspense, plenty of heat, and a fun twist on the classic shapeshifter tale. I recommend this book.
Nell Stark
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Riveting, hot, and fun! Gripping story and great characters.
Liam (Hey Ashers!)
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is a review posted on Hey Ashers! You'll find the original review (featuring much more intelligible formatting and full-size excerpt pictures) here!

1 Star

Spoiler Rating: High

Number One Katie,

Yeah, I'd promised to read a self-published book in honor of NaNoWriMo. Didn't happen. Instead, I finally got around to reading Wild, that lesbian paranormal/thriller/romance I had high hopes for.

Let me start by saying I appreciate that this book is written for a criminally underrepresented and underserved au
Jessica Nguyen
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, the plot is simple and the all characters are one-dimentional. The only bright spot is steamy sex scenes but that couldn't save the whole book. The sex-driven relationship without character development isn't my cup of tea. The book also focused on internal thoughts of each character rather than character interactions and conversations. I just didn't find it interesting that way. I'm also surprised that the book is very popular and has been rated highly.
Gaybriel Green
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Loved Loved

I read the book in 2 days. I just couldn't put it down. I wish Meghan would do a sequel.
Cee Jelly
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: so-so, femalexfemale
Even though I enjoyed the book, I can hardly say it is anything more than a really really average read.

The romance seems stale and uninspired, even with graphic descriptions of the girls' lust, maybe love. This book reminds me a whole lot of why insta-romances are not my cup of tea. A weird "connection" is as much boring a cause of love as it is a lazy excuse to skip romantic developments. And since a good chunk of the book is focused on the girls' romance, this do more damage than ever. Everyti
Ry Herman
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
A lot about this book didn't make enough sense from the get-go. A werewolf decides that the best way to restrain herself from going on a murder rampage every full moon is to ... hire an expensive prostitute to handcuff her to a steel table at night, leave, and then come back in the morning to let her out. A brief mention is made of the fact that she can't afford more reasonable measures, although this doesn't explain how she's nonetheless able to afford a monthly expensive prostitute on top of S ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Second Nature (Shape-Shifter, #1)
  • Blood Hunt (Midnight Hunters #2)
  • Raven Mask (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #2)
  • everafter (everafter, #1)
  • Balance of Forces: Toujours Ici (Forces, #1)
  • Mending Defects
  • Better Off Red (Vampire Sorority Sisters, #1)
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Behind the Pine Curtain
  • Eye of the Storm (Dar and Kerry, #3)
Born in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, Meghan O’Brien relocated to Northern California in 2005. As a transplant, she enjoys the moderate weather and gorgeous scenery of the Bay Area. Meghan lives with her wife, their son, three cats, three dogs, two snakes and several tarantulas. Yes, it can be just as chaotic as it sounds.

Meghan’s day job is as a software developer, but her real passion is writin