Start by marking “Re-Gifters” as Want to Read:
Re-Gifters

Re-Gifters

Jen Dik Seong, aka Dixie, is dirt poor and living on the ragged edge of LA's Koreatown. Her only outlet is the ancient martial art of hapkido, and she's on the verge of winning a championship--until she falls for surfer boy Adam. Older teens.
Published June 6th 2007 by Minx Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Re-Gifters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-Gifters

Elizabeth A
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphix, kids-ya
Jen Dik Seong, known as Dixie to her friends, well really friend (singular), is a first generation Korean American girl, who has a black belt in Hapkido - an ancient marital art. She has her first major crush, and this has left her not only distracted, but she has lost her Ki. Will she find it again?

This graphic novel targeted at the teen reader is a lovely exploration of first loves, friendship, and the struggle to figure out who you are. The black, white and grey illustrations are fun, and I e
Vonze
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read nearly all the MINX comics, and I've gotta say that the Re-Gifters and The P.L.A.I.N. Janes are my favorites from this imprint of DC comics (it had a lot of potential...wish it was still around).

Basically, the Re-Gifters is the story of a young Korean girl, "Dixie", her hapkido tournament, and the love triangle she gets caught up with, involving the boy she likes, the girl he likes, and the guy she never considered before. I really liked Dixie's character, because I felt like she was t
Jennie
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Plot: Jen Dik Seong is studying the ancient martial art of hapkido. She's awesome at the sport. In fact, her parents and friends want her to participate in the 25th National Hapkido Championship because they think that she stands an excellent chance of winning. She saves up the money for the ticket to participate in the championship, but then she spends the money on buying a birthday gift for her crush Adam. He not only doesn't like her back (argh!), he re-gifts her present to a girl that he lik ...more

I thought that Re-gifters was just okay, but I guess that it depends what you were expecting, and since most people expect comic books/graphic novels to be light reads, this will likely please most teens who pick it up. Re-gifters is the equivalent of cheesy teen novel, except with a Korean-American protagonist instead of the typical bland dishwater blond girl who for some reason (other than hapkido) isn't quite girly enough to fit norms, and read as such, it's good entertainment.

After
Debbie
Dixie is a Korean American girl who has a black belt is hapkido, a martial art. She and her best, well, ONLY friend, Avril are looking forward to entering the hapkido tournament together.

Unfortunately, Dixie's crush on Adam, a clueless surfer dude in her hapkido class, causes her to lose focus. She comes up with a daring idea to impress him with an expensive gift, and then finds out that not only has she spent the money for her tournament entrance fee, but also that Adam likes someone else.

Dixi
Agathafrye
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: grrrls
This book rocked. I really enjoyed Dixie, the main character, who is a feisty Korean girl that excels in hapkido. Without spoiling the book, Dixie gets thrown off of her game by a boy, and we get to root for her while she gets her mojo back. I was highly satisfied by the emotionally manipulative ending, I must confess.
Patrice Sartor
SUMMARY: Jen Dik "Dixie" Seong is a black belt in hapkido, a sport that her father encourages her to participate in because it harkens back to the families' Korean heritage, even though they do not have much money. Yet Dixie finds it difficult to fully focus on hapkido when she's distracted by Adam, her dojo's most talented male student and the object of her affection. Her one friend, Avril, supports Dixie's Adam-obsession, up to a point. Things start to twist and turn when a gift keeps getting ...more
Cara Marie
Jul 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
I utterly adored My Faith in Frankie from the same team, so I was looking forward to this. Sadly, it's not as good.

The protagonist, Jen Dik Seong, or just Dixie, is a talented martial artist in hapkido - only she's somewhat distracted at the moment by a giant crush on Adam, who also studies hapkido. He throws her off her game completely. Trouble comes when Dixie spends the money her father can barely put together for an upcoming tournament on a very expensive present for Adam. Who doesn't appr
West Region,
Re-gifters by Mike Carey

My name is Dik Seong Jen. Even though Jen is my first name, everyone calls me Dixie. You see…Koreans put their first names at the end and…well anyway… Other things you have to know to understand me are that I “feel things deeply”, I have a temper, and I kind of act out and can’t help it. Oh, but and the emotions I can’t express, I channel into hapkido, Korean martial arts. I’m pretty good too!

I have two things on my mind these days…Adam and the tournament. Adam’s great at
Chibineko
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to admit that while I really liked this after I'd first finished it, the more I thought about this story the more I just sort of feel that this was more average and bland than I'd really like.

Like so many of the Minx line, this has some incredible artwork. This is one area that I've yet to be disappointed, and this book kept up with the art expectations of its fellow releases. The art is fun, quirky, and fits the story and characters. I can see people getting into this for the artwork al
Cathy
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, swapbot, ya
Busier graphic novel than what I typically pick up, and busier = stylistically more detailed, art rougher, and reminiscent of manga at times.

Story of Korean American gal and her crush on a boy who is in her hapkido class and how she deals with it. Strong female again, though not along the lines of Kibuish, but more tough physically with moments of emotional/mental weaknesses.

Great laugh out loud portions (the whole re-gifting thing, "Well Goddamn" and the woman with the tattoo). Underlying stor
Jessica
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was an excellent graphic novel! I have read it at least 4 times now and it never gets old. It deals with the trials and tribulations that Dixie, a Korean-American girl, faces as she struggles to survive high school, win a martial arts tournament, survive her family and deal with unrequited love and anger management issues. By the end, Dixie manages to sort out her priorities and even makes a play for guy, all while battling for a martial arts championship.

This story, and pretty much everyt
Zen Cho
Sep 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'd call this YA, and it was lots of fun. I got invested enough in the main character that I was snarling at the stupid boy she had a crush on, and thank goodness, the romance had an ending that was actually good for all characters concerned. Whew.

Some twists I found difficult to believe -- mostly the stupid boy's change of heart when he saw the main character fighting, but I can read that as the stupid boy trying to take advantage of the main character's crush on him to win the competition. Any
Kelcey
I picked up this as part of what is clearly becoming a "graphic novel binge as I attempt to claw my way out of my book slump" phase. I had heard things about it and I wanted to know more. I rather enjoyed this book. Dixie was a smart sassy protagonist and I enjoyed her story. I honestly thought seeing Adam and his date's happenings were kind of unnecessary and those bits slowed me down a little, but overall, loved the story and especially MC's bestie Avril, seriously she has some of the best lin ...more
Faith
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have read other books by this author that I liked, and I loved that this one featured a physically strong and talented female character. However, I really disliked the guy she ended up with in the end and the fact that he may be a drug dealer or something similar is never really resolved. It's a major flaw in an otherwise well written book. The art is also good, though the copy I had was on the smaller size for a graphic novel, which sometimes made it hard to read and appreciate the drawings.
Trin
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
The story of a relatably cranky teenage Korean-American girl who’s trying to win a martial arts tournament—and the boy of her dreams. This is not your typical Mike Carey (perhaps best-known for Lucifer and his run on Hellblazer) graphic novel. It is, however, much better than the supernatural/horror novels he’s been cranking out lately. It features loads of humor, a cute interracial romance, and girls kicking ass—literally. I only wish Carey could have brought this much energy and life to his ...more
Sara
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun story, fluid artwork, good message and (maybe unfortunately) didn't wear out its welcome. Also, I loved Dillinger from the fist second he stepped onto the page.
Izzy Book Queen
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5*
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
this was a sweet book about a korean kid in LA kicking butt at hapkido. she has to deal with a crush on a boy clouding her decision-making as she tries to live up to her parents' hopes and expectations for her. and the backdrop of the story is very diverse and reflective of the community she lives in and the legacy of being Korean through the Rodney King riots. very sweet. in the back of the book, the little previews for other graphic novels by the publisher makes me think they have quite a foll ...more
Tara Schuhmacher
RE-GIFTERS: this is a graphic novel about a girl Dixie who is a martial artist black belt, has an all-consuming crush on a boy, and ki to find.

I loved this story! It’s all about figuring out what/who is important in life, being true to who you are, and kicking butt.

Even if you don’t think you’re a fan of “comics” give this a try!!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Megan Mann
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this graphic novel. It takes the “girl is obsessed with boy until she realizes she’s better off without him” story in a very interesting way. If I could beat the first dude I was in love with in a national martial arts competition, that would have been amazing. Sadly, that didn’t happen, so now I shall live vicariously through this story.
Kate Stericker
I'm normally not super invested in stories with sports as a central element, but this book drew me in right from the start. I love the frequent set-ups and pay-offs that give the plot its structure, particularly those that relate to the titular gift.
Lynette
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
A trite, predictable story about a young Korean girl written by a middle-aged white man . Hmm. (view spoiler)
Devvy
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
cute, short, and a different type of read. I would recommend it!
Helen
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults, YA, and teens
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
This is a YA graphic novel about the protagonist (Dixie's) crush on a cute kid in HS (Adam) and how his duplicitous behavior finally reveals... well, I won't spoil the denouement, in case anyone reads my review/decides to read the book.

The book starts with Dixie's romantic fixation on Adam, a cute kid in HS - they both study Hapkido, a Korean form of Karate, and are both set to compete in a national championship. Useful information is conveyed on the background of Dixie's family in the US, and
Noel
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really hate the word 1Ccute. 1D Unless talking about a babies, puppies, or kittens, I just find the word annoying and unnecessary. There 19s always a better, more descriptive word that can be used. I would really find it annoying if I spent time writing a book only to have it called 1Ccute, 1D but unfortunately that is exactly what I am about to say about Re-Gifters by Mike Carey, Sonny Liew, and Marc Hempel. It 19s so darn cute!

Re-Gifters is the story of Korean-American Jen Dik Seong 13 or Di
re-gift –verb
1. to give an unwanted gift to someone else; to give as a gift something one previously received as a gift; also written regift

Dik Seong Jen (Dixie) has a spiky exterior–her spikiness is a defense mechanism guarding against her powerful emotions–as she puts it, “I don’t show it, but deep down I’m really a passionate person”.

For many years, she has loved hapkido because she is proud of her Korean heritage and because she needs the physical outlet for what she cannot express in words.
A
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Dik Seong Jen, otherwise known as Dixie, is a hotheaded teenage girl from Koreatown, in South Central Los Angeles. Although she is an excellent student of hapkido, a Korean martial art, her teacher worries that she has lost her sense of balance, or ki, without which she cannot reach her full potential. Dixie suspects that one reason for this loss is her all-consuming, but unrequited crush on a fellow student, Adam. To impress Adam on his birthday, Dixie presents him with what, for her, is a mea ...more
Eleanor With Cats
I know Mike Carey from his wonderful gritty urban (London) fantasy involving demons, so I was a little curious what his romantic comedy graphic novel about a young Korean women in LA would be like. Answer: I had to be in a totally different mood for it (I miss Felix Castor) but it's funny and good. It's great to see a girl interested in martial arts. (I know a lot of urban fantasy heroines kick ass, but they're often paragons. Dixie (Dik Seong Jen) is a regular high school girl who gets grumpy a ...more
Emily
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another 3.5, but one worth rounding up to 4.
  • Good as Lily
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Token
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Kimmie66
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Garage Band
  • Pitch Black
  • Bookhunter
  • Refresh, Refresh
  • Mercury
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli