Start by marking “Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo” as Want to Read:
Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo

Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Published May 5th 1999 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 1999)

Jeffrey
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents to read to kids
great book to read to the kids. There is a cute story, but by the time we stopped reading it I was so tired of it, I think I hid it under the bed. There are cute hidden pictures to challenge your kids to find. So if you want a good book to read to your kids -- this is it but BEWARE. YOU MIGHT READ IT 100 TIMES TOO.
Darcy Leech
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Written in rhyming iambic pentameter, I have sang this song in a sing-song voice, as a rap, like an opera and read with many different tempos. The rhythm and rhyme of this book is just about perfect. As a parent, I love to read to my child, but I especially like books that give my tongue a challenge or the chance to dance. This book is a fun romp through a child's imagination that anyone who like oral interpretation can appreciate. If you want your child to love words, read a book that lets you ...more
midnightfaerie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A decent book on trains that kept my preschoolers interested, but bored my 5 yr old. Not an original concept either, since many train books talk about the trains duties in real life, but with the pictures showing toy trains and their environment. The fact that the end showed a boy asleep with his train at the end of the story was fun for my kids, as they could totally relate. The illustrations were nice too. As an adult I love reading books that rhyme, so this gets an extra star for that as well ...more
Celeste
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are not my favorite style, but this was a great read for Toddler Tales. The rhyming was fun, and everyone liked making the "whoo-whoos" together. The correct "whoo-whoos" are very important.
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If your child likes trains then this is the book for you. My son will sleep with this book
Becky
My 2 year old daughter freaked out every time she heard a train go through town. The "choo-choo" and "whooooo-whoooo's" scared her until I read this book. Now, she runs to me mimicking the trains cho-cho's and who-who's. I will forever be thankful I nabbed this book at the library - not only was it a worthy read, but it helped my daughter understand there was nothing to fear about trains. Now, she LOVES them.
Anita
My son would mark this 5 stars, but he'd do that for any book with a train on the cover :-). It's a nicely paced book, but it is the sort of book that you will tire of reading more than 5 times a day (which we do...).
Aimee
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pre-schoolers love making that "whoo whooo!" sound.
Jason
I think we are growing out of books like this, thank merciful Zeus.
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I love the simple rhymes and the illustrations in contrasting primary colors. Sweet.
Alison Reads
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-4, transportation
If your 2-4 year old likes trains than this is a solid winner. It has a playful, easy-to-read style and parents can have a lot of fun with the train noises. The illustrations are bright with primary colors and feature classic toys. Kevin Lewis and Dennis Kirk have written other books together ("My Truck is Stuck!" comes to mind) too. If your child enjoys this one I'd recommend "Big Choo" by Stephen Shaskan or "Steam Train, Dream Train" by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld.
J.
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't often give simple picture books 5 stars but I've been reading this story aloud to my children for about 8 years now and I still enjoy the rhythm and rhymes. The simple pictures have enough detail to keep kids looking without being busy and cluttered. It's a very soothing book to read at bedtime. And for a paperback book we got as a hand me down in the first place, it hasn't fallen apart yet, so bravo to this sturdy edition published by Harcourt.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 2 - 4

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Salih Yasin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Son loves it. Got the kindle version because we couldn't find the book for bedtime. Great book for bed or any other time. Muy soon has wanted it read almost every day since her was two.
Hannah Knight
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a very short book that tells us the sounds that a train makes as it travels into the city. Sounds are great for children. Children are often fascinated with trains or other toys. This is a great book that shows us trains and other toys as well as people working together.
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
W loved this book, he asks for it almost nightly and is utterly obsessed with trains right now.
Monica
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
Read correctly Caroline likes this book!
Susan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by my son's speech therapist (he is two). Great book for encouraging kids to talk and point out things they recognize.
Michelle
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice simple book of a child have his train go on tracks all over his room. My 14 month old has me read this book to her several times a day (or as many as I'm willing).
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-ideas
Solid, simple imaginary train play for toddlers. Ages 2-4
Gwen Marie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babies
Fun bright illustrations (toy train and toy people). Text is large block face. Simple but engaging story.
Paul
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Disney’s rhyming couplets welcome the animated child into a stuffed world of toys and trains.
Pippa
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for reading aloud at bedtime to little train lovers.
Hannah
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: construction
Cute! Great for toddlers
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Not my favorite train book by far. I thought the rhymes were somewhat awkward, and frankly, there are more interesting train books for toddlers. Nonetheless, my 3yo enjoys it, so I'll end up reading it a few more times before I trade it in for something else.
Cheyenne Cortesi
Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo is a story about the traveling of a train. How the train is loaded, where it travels and how the train gets emptied. Along the way the reader learns terms such as “caboose”, for example when it states that the caboose is red and there is only one red cart on the train. This story was very simple and therefore would be a good start for students wanting to learn simple facts about trains. This book does include common train terminology such as “freight”, “caboose”, “engine ...more
Chris
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My daughter, who adores trains and is three years old, has cherished this book for about two years now. It is one of her favorites, if not THE favorite. The rhythmic and repetative text is wonderful, and the art is vibrant and full of little details. We still notice new stuff now and then and have read it so many times the binding is loose. The storyline is about a boy who makes a complex railway out of toys and blocks, including stuffed animals working in the railyard and a fish tank as a lake. ...more
Diressa Belcher
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: voice, setting
All aboard! The train is ready to take off at sunset. The books tells the cute story of the train's adventure throughout the day! At the end of the train's journey, the engineer falls fast asleep after being tucked in.

This book is a great example for teaching voice. Students can visualize and make the sounds of the train's engine, wheels and passengers.

This book is also great for describing setting. Students can go one step further with setting, they can describe the time of day a event takes pl
bernadette
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
A great read aloud book for the toddler set with a lot of repetition of "chugga chugga choo choo" and "whooo whooo" as a train travels through a landscape created by a child to set up loading docks, mountains, tunnels, cities, etc. as it travels around the child's room. A cute book and it's currently one of my 2 year old daughter's favorite bedtime stories at the moment. She likes pointing out the different items in the pictures, such as princesses, dogs, cowboys, etc., as well as the train nois ...more
Samantha Penrose
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: train lovers 18 months+
Shelves: kids-books
This is a great book! We have been checking it out, renewing it, and checking it out again for over two years and two states now!
The story has great rhythm and rhyme and the illustrations take you on a train ride around a little boys room. Travel through the country, the mountains, the valleys, over a river, past the city to the train yard and more! The little boys use of blocks and others toys around his room to create a backdrop for his train set will inspire little engineers everywhere.
Highly
  • Hello, Day!
  • A Train Goes Clickety-Clack
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • The Goodnight Train
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Barnyard Banter