Start by marking “Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts” as Want to Read:
Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts

Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts (Chew #11-15)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  10,947 Ratings  ·  472 Reviews
Things are looking up for Tony Chu, the cibopathic federal agent with the ability to get psychic impressions from the things he eats. He's got a girlfriend. He's got a partner he trusts. He even seems to be getting along with his jerk boss. But his ruthless ex-partner is still out there, operating outside of the law, intending to make good on his threats against Tony and e ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by Image Comics (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chew, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chew, Vol. 3

karen
FORGET THE REVIEW - COME MARVEL AT THE THREAD!

chew cop-out review #2, but for volume #3. crazy, i know.

i burned through all ten published volumes of this series in a matter of months, and while i managed a fairly coherent review of the first volume, i am overwhelmed by the thought of going back and reviewing volumes 2-10, trying to recapture that innocent mindset that didn't know what happened in subsequent volumes and trying to stay within the lines of the volume i'd be reviewing.

my hat is off
Matthew
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hilarious and slightly nauseating volume featuring everyone's favorite cibopath, Tony Chi. Seems like he continues to have Murphy's Law on his side and each page can only be described as another misadventure. Everything should be fine as long as Tony's girlfriend doesn't find those frozen body parts in his freezer - oh, she did? Oops!

I am loving the creativity of the story and the trippiness of the artwork. This was my favorite volume so far even though it seems to raise more questions t
Will M.
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The third volume didn't disappoint. The plot continues to improve along the way, and more exciting things are to come. I was expecting to be a bit sick of Tony Chu by now, but honestly I'm more interested to know what's going to happen. The plot offers so much possibilities that it makes the reader want to read the next volume right away.

Tony Chu and Amelia Mintz would probably be the major reason why I enjoyed this volume. Their relationship was fun to read about. It wasn't cheesy and all, but
Dan Schwent
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-comics
Cibopathic detective Tony Chu busts up an illegal eating club, finally gets his hands on Poyo, goes up against a chicken billionaire, comes within a brush of Mason Savoy, and goes up against his biggest enemies of all, his family...

The Chu saga continues to unfold. Tony and Amelia are an item. Colby tangles with Mason Savoy. A frog-chicken hybrid operation is shut down. Mason Savoy continues to be at large in more ways than one.

Even though this is the third volume, I feel like the surface has ba
Joy
"HAPPY THANKSG- Oh... It's Anthony."

Cue random twin sister named Antonelle (AKA Toni) who no one knew about until now.

Another great volume of Chew! I actually liked this volume even more than the last two! More action, more drama, more everything. It was fantastic!

Three volumes in and I now recommend this graphic novel to everybody. A definite must read! 4.75
Jedi JC Daquis
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
POYO!

The series has gone way over the top. It has the same raucously funny, violently charming comic series that you love since the first issue, there are no bland panels and filler story feelings. Chew has consistently been freakishly good.

There are two nice points that make Chew Volume 3: Just Desserts stand out from its past two volumes. First is that unexpectedly, there is a genuinely serious portion in this collection. It was less than a page short, but very powerful.

Then the other one need
Melki
I was all ready to slap on four stars, then right at the end of the book, we meet Chu's very weird family as they gather for a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal. Ding, ding, ding! Let's start the family feud!
StoryTellerShannon
In this volume Chu tracks down an exclusive club called Just Desserts and takes Amelia Mintz along, too. The Poyo investigation continues as does a new chicken substitute which is tied into so much more than it appears. We also get to learn a bit more about Chu's family background as well as his crazy ex girlfriend. Mason Savoy is back and it turns out he knew the bird-flu outbreak was going to happen before it did. From this point on this review will be somewhat similar to my review of the prev ...more
Fables&Wren
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

These are a little repetitive. And I’m kind of getting bored with it.

We got a little background for Chu though.

And [surprise surprise] something else taste like chicken and blah blah blah.

Taking a break from this series.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram
Mike
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still enjoying this series immensely. The storyline still takes unexpected twists and turns, the characters still have unplumbed depths to reveal, and the art continues to make me smile at how fun and energetic it is.

This book better have a long future ahead of it, because I think I'm in love.

I love the interplay between Savoy and his partner (the Samuel L. Jackson lookalike). I love the Poyo scenes. I like the blooming relationship between Tony and Amelia, though I'd like it better if Amelia wa
Sanaa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
[4.5 Stars] I really enjoyed this volume, but I felt like this one was really setting up for later issues. I'm generally fine with such, but I thought I would go ahead and mention that. I still thought it was hilarious, disturbing, adorable, amazing, and oh my goodness we get more Savoy, Colby, and Amelia! Yay!
Mel
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this one a little less. A lot of the time jumps are confusing and the recap is irritating me but that ending!! I kind of expected it as soon as we met Olive but can't wait to hear this story.
Burhan
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tek kelime ile muhteşem.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
That cliffhanger though! Where has this series been all my life?
Roy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has still held my attention which I didnt think it would. The story is evolving nicely, the characters explored more with their backgrounds and an evil villain is really established. Great art again, definitely love this series. Blends comedy, crime, urban fantasy and horror all in 1. Its quite a mix.
Ronyell
Chew

Introduction:

After reading the first two volumes of John Layman’s “Chew” series, my interest in this series just keeps rising every time I picked up a new volume! Now, I had finally read the third volume of the “Chew” series called “Chew: Just Desserts Volume Three” and this volume was just as good as the previous two volumes! Being an Eisner Award and Harvey Award winning series, “Chew” so far has definitely deserved the praise it has received over the years!

What is this story about?

In thi
Sam Quixote
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this volume, Tony Chu and Amelia Mintz start to date seriously and explore the dining delights of their city much to the detriment of illegal meat traffickers, while we catch up with Mason Savoy's goings-on since his disappearance in the first book. Throw in a psychotic chicken, a siege, a unique Thanksgiving dinner, and a mysterious energy beam, and you have another strong book in this superb, underrated series.

Rob Guillory's art continues to be superb, even getting better by the issue. The
Filipa
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
always so much fun ! had a great time going through tony chu vol 3
Lauren (books & tea & all things me)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This series just gets better and better and considering the cliffhanger at the end of this one, I'm glad I already have Vol. 4 checked out from my library. In this volume, Tony continues to date Amelia and in the beginning, Tony is trying to take down an elite society group who yearly dines on exotic animals. Poyo the demon rooster makes another appearance as Tony goes undercover with CI D-Bear and the relationship between Tony's partner, Agent Colby and Tony's boss is still as odd as ever. The ...more
Clarissa
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Poyo investigation continues! What is really behind this bird flu epidemic? Mason Savoy returns and it turns out he knew it was going to happen before it did. Government conspiracy anyone? Several of our characters have claimed as much but we still don’t know a ton.
Still pretty enjoyable. Amelia and Tony’s relationship is blossoming. Yay! Now if she could do something other than write about food that would be great. I’d like some agency please. We get to learn a little about Tony’s past (cr
Brittany
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short review so I don't give anything away. But this is a must read.

First of all, Tony has bagged the girl of his dreams. Amelia is a pretty cool character, but I could do without all of the "What do you mean our date is interrupted because you have to go and capture ANOTHER criminal? Tony, what the fuck?!?!?!". Other than that, I appreciate her as a woman. She loves her job, she loves her man, and she puts up with his crazy ass family. This is a woman anyone would be happy to have.

Speaking of c
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this gory, quirky, mysterious little series, and I especially love that this collection returns to the relatively straightforward police procedural stuff that worked so well in the first volume. I liked volume two, but it was an unwelcome change of setting for me, and a veering off into monster movie and sci-fi themes, when this book works best at its most grounded. This volume, in which Tony begins a romantic relationship (complete with hilarious/disturbing flashbacks to a prior relation ...more
Kaitlin
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-sff-faves
I read this as part of the Dewey's 24 hr readathon and I am very glad that I was able to move straight from volume 2 onto volume 3 as I enjoyed this one immensely and more so than vol.2. I do not yet, however, own any more of the series and so I will probably have to wait a while to get the next ones *sad*!

This volume focuses largely on Tony Chu, our resident cibopath, as he once more gets sucked into some of the mysteries we've seen hinted at in volume.2. Whilst I enjoyed Vol.2 a lot I did feel
Hannah (TheRainyReader)
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
I am really loving this series! Such a unique story line and I'm actually quite fond of the art style as well. Only complaint with that is that I feel like Amelia has the body built like a man. I suppose this is an interesting twist since most women in comic books are overly feminine to get the point across if you catch my drift. This plot line wasn't my favorite since it took him away from the normal scene of these comic books but still a good issue and I plan to continue with the series.
Mia
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I think I said this in my review of volume 2, but the relationship between Colby and Chu is still my favourite part about this series. The supporting characters are often what makes or breaks a story, and Colby is the perfect partner for Tony Chu.
Anja
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another one that didn't make me wanna puke my guts out ^^
So many secrets, so many surprises. Tony's family is gold :')

Also: Cliffhanger! Evil cliffhanger!!!
I think a trip to my favorite comic bookstore is absolutely essential...
OonaReads
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally we got some Toni, she's the best
Katie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.5* I'm really not sure to make of that ending but I love the rest of it. The colour pallet of the art in this one was great!
C. Varn
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, funny

Layman does madcap character development and absurd conspiracies very well, and these issues of Chew make that abundantly clear. Sometimes, however, one gets the sense that the character developments aren't entirely planned and thus the shifts in tone or theme can seem a bit random. Highly enjoyable though and very funny.
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 2: All Will Be Free
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule
  • DMZ, Vol. 9: M.I.A.
  • House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 10: Term Limits (Ex Machina, #10)
  • Invincible, Vol. 12: Still Standing
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads (The Sixth Gun, #2)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
John Steele Layman is an American comic book writer and letterer. Layman is most known for writing Chew, published by Image Comics.
More about John Layman

Chew (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes
  • Chew, Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders
  • Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin'
  • Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton: Wife, Widow, and Warrior in Alexander Hamilton’s Quest for a More Perfect Union
  • The Shadow Queen
    $6.24 $1.99
  • The Mysteries of Pittsburgh
  • At Risk
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“One of these days I'm gonna beat him in the face with the butt of my service revolver until an eyeball pops out. These are the thoughts that keep me happy.” 3 likes