Start by marking “Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness” as Want to Read:
Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness

Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness

In a series of bold, unsparing polemics, A C Grayling exposes the dangerous unreason he sees at the heart of religious faith and highlights the urgent need we have to reject it in all its forms, without compromise. In its place he argues for a set of values based on reason, reflection, and sympathy, taking his cue from the great ethical tradition of Western philosophy.
Published April 1st 2008 by Oberon Books (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Against All Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against All Gods

Wayne
Dec 05, 2008 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any doubter or atheist who needs help in clarifying their situation
Recommended to Wayne by: GOD, before she died.
Just dedicating this review to Lynn and Plch who vowed to read the Book that inspired it...it is a bit expensive perhaps? but Amazon might have a cheapie. To Katarzyna who vowed to RE-read it...you really should Kat, it is well worth it. To Cecily and Wendy whom I just noticed are on line at the moment. To K.D. Absolutely who is a Catholic and needs a bit of Real Philosophy. To Lilo who loves to think. And to ALL of YOU ...who LOVE to...... R E A D !!!!!

This appears to be the briefest polemic ag
Jennifer Vanderbes
Nov 13, 2007 Jennifer Vanderbes rated it it was ok
This book is filled with so many sweeping generalizations, it's hard to know where to begin attacking it. Grayling claims to be arguing against religion , but he is effectively arguing only against Islam and Christianity, and actually, only against the most extreme believers/proselytizers. He consistently alludes to violence done in the name of religion (crusades, suicide bombers), conveniently ignoring the non-violent tenets of, say, Buddhism. He refers to things such as "the predictable respon ...more
Gregory
Apr 27, 2009 Gregory rated it it was amazing
'Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.' --Thomas Jefferson

The current atheist vs. believer debate is marked by dogmatic pronouncements from both sides. That this is true of the justifications put forth by the faithful is obvious and expected, but the proselytizing of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, et al. on behalf of atheism is characterized more by statements of ideology than by an
Kristen
Feb 07, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific little collection. I confess I have a soft spot for AC Grayling, not a little bit because he tickled Shannon's feet and made her giggle. But I really enjoy his writing and what he has to say, and I respect him tremendously for his academic work.

This was not his typical gentler* tone because these were short essays and he was trying to make a point quickly, which he admits. But they were very readable and made excellent points (what else would I expect?).

I highly recommend th
Christopher
Oct 23, 2010 Christopher rated it it was amazing
An understated little book that nevertheless contains all of the fundamental arguments against the existence of an all-powerful creator.
Sho Dwivedi
Jun 27, 2014 Sho Dwivedi rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. On occasion Grayling makes arguments upon the basis of broad streaks, and inappropriate extrapolation (despite his disclaimer at the beginning that expounding all logical links within the essays would be difficult, and unlikely). Nonetheless, the book is excellent!
The final quote just hit me hard:
"And this is for the sake of this life, in this world, where we suffer and find joy, where we can help one another, and where we need one another’s help: the help of the living human ha
Al Bità
Dec 02, 2008 Al Bità rated it it was amazing
Clear, precise, and to the point. Grayling applies Ockham's razor to the 'arguments' regarding religion, and delivers a concise, easy to read and understand series of arguments unencumbered by side-issues — and all in just 64 pages total! Recommended.

We really must not be afraid to proceed along the path indicated by Grayling in these essays. We have nothing to lose except the chains religion has tied us up with.
Rachel
A small collection of short, polemical essays on various topics related to the intersection of religion, atheism, and the rise (and fall?) of secularism. Grayling says nothing new, but says it well, and concisely. Believers will be annoyed, and nonbelievers will have heard it before, but it's a message that deserves repetition.
Henrik
Apr 07, 2015 Henrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Religious believers who want to investigate their faith.
A masterfully concise and stupefyingly elegant refutation of common theistic arguments. A.C. Grayling is a simply superb writer and thinker and these short polemics are perhaps the best of their kind. Even giants like Bertrand Russell and Christopher Hitchens pale in comparison.
Manuel Crespo-Rodríguez
Jan 25, 2014 Manuel Crespo-Rodríguez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atheism
This is a book that I would recommend to any person interested in atheism. I wish I read it earlier. The way it's written (six essays) makes it easier for the beginner to understand. A.C. Grayling surprised me with his concise words.
Az
May 26, 2009 Az rated it liked it
Very concise, basic guide intended to 'piss on the theists parade' by relating all religious dogma and belief in realist, rational terms.

Grayling does not disappoint.
Carlos
Sep 20, 2015 Carlos rated it liked it
Este libro de A. C. Grayling (reputado profesor de filosofía, colaborador en diversas publicaciones y autor de varios libros sobre la religiosidad) lleva como subtítulo “Seis discusiones sobre la religión y un ensayo sobre la bondad”, que giran en torno de temas como el “derecho inherente” a que las religiones sean respetadas, si el ateísmo, por sí mismo, debería ser considerado una religión, o si vivimos un resurgimiento global de ésta, y que, finalmente, el pensamiento reflexivo es lo que evit ...more
Miguel Soto
Otro librito breve leído para clase de Epistemología. Aquí se esgrimen interesantes argumentos contra la práctica real de la religión. Ojo, no es un libro que desarme con fineza lógica y filosófica la existencia de divinidades ni nada por el estilo, sino una severa crítica a la intolerancia que puede surgir de las creencias religiosas, o a la búsqueda de privilegios por el mismo motivo. También aclara algunas cuestiones sobre posturas no religiosas, que tienden a confundirse, y termina proponien ...more
Diego
Apr 02, 2015 Diego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Grayling polemiza sobre el rol de la religión en un mundo moderno y propone al humanismo como respuesta a la superstición, aboga por una ética basada en la razón, la compasión y el entendimiento de la naturaleza del ser humano; para de esta manera buscar construir mejores sociedades, más justas y menos propensas a los vicios que el pensamiento mágico ha causado durante un largo periodo de tiempo.
Erickson
Dec 29, 2012 Erickson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, general
Very vocal, concise and straight to the point. Most of the points made by him are those that people on the epistemology, philosophy and rationalistic ideas' sides find hard to go against, though not exactly impossible. One thing about the book is that it is somewhat a little bit too harsh in terms of writing style and tone, which I guessed may be intended all along.
Dr. Skepticus
Jun 08, 2016 Dr. Skepticus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Breve pero al grano. En pocas páginas destroza la horrenda idea que los creyentes tienen que de por serlo merecen un trato especial y explica con claridad lo que es el humanismo, la alternativa racional a la credulidad.
George
Mar 27, 2016 George rated it it was ok
Another (meh) dogmatic essay on "no religion."
Voss
Dec 16, 2014 Voss rated it liked it
Interessante.
Più un pamphlet che un saggio articolato.
Rhys Jeffs
Jul 13, 2010 Rhys Jeffs rated it really liked it
A perfectly delicious elucidation of the arguments against religion. I love it.
Gretta Vosper
Jan 16, 2015 Gretta Vosper rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Grayling at his concise best.
Onyango Makagutu
Jun 30, 2013 Onyango Makagutu rated it really liked it
A great read
James
Oct 03, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A brief but powerful group of essays.
Lex
Aug 22, 2013 Lex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedroom
Ui
Dennis
May 16, 2013 Dennis rated it it was amazing
Of the ones I've read from Grayling, this one is his best.
Artie
Artie rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2016
Will Papworth
Will Papworth rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2015
somethingness
somethingness rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
KhoLa KhAn
KhoLa KhAn rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
  • The End of Christianity
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • The Atheist's Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life without Illusions
  • Into the Looking-Glass Wood: Essays on Books, Reading, and the World
  • Is Christianity Good for the World?
  • The Cambridge Companion to Atheism
  • Faith Versus Fact: Why Science and Religion are Incompatible
  • Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?
  • What I Believe
  • The Quotable Hitchens from Alcohol to Zionism: The Very Best of Christopher Hitchens
  • Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
  • 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists
  • Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All
  • Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism
  • Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
  • What Is Your Dangerous Idea? : Today's Leading Thinkers on the Unthinkable
  • Philosophers Without Gods: Meditations on Atheism and the Secular Life
  • The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God
Anthony Clifford "A. C." Grayling is a British philosopher. In 2011 he founded and became the first Master of New College of the Humanities, an independent undergraduate college in London. Until June 2011, he was Professor of Philosophy at Birkbeck, University of London, where he taught from 1991. He is also a supernumerary fellow of St Anne's College, Oxford.

He is a director and contributor at Pr
More about A.C. Grayling...