Start by marking “Nate the Great Goes Undercover” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great Goes Undercover

Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  821 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Nate the Great has his first night case! "Detective work is not fun and games," Nate explains. "Detective work is dirty garbage cans instead of clean beds. Detective work is banana peels, dishrags, milk cartons, floor sweepings, cigar ashes, fleas, and me..."

Published February 15th 1978 by Yearling (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great Goes Undercover, please sign up.

Fernanda Carvajal Go outside and live adventures. Solve crimes and enjoy your neighbourhood.

Ray
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ar-books
BL 2.4
0.5 pts
Alexander Lee
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like mysteries. I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Nate the Great found out who was the garbage snatcher.
Paola
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Nate the Great goes Undercover” is the second book of Nate the Great series. This book is about Nate solving a new mystery, who or what is causing a garbage mess outside Oliver’s house. He starts asking suspects. First he talks to Rosamond, for Nate she’s strange. Then he finds Esmeralda asking her some questions, Nate thinks she’s wise and got valuable information to solve the case. He started thinking about what animals could have done this. So Nate hid inside the trash can to find out what i ...more
Mark Baker
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The pint sized detective is back for his second case, this time trying to figure out for his neighbor Oliver who is breaking into Oliver’s trashcans every night. Nate’s excited for his first night time case, but can he catch the culprit?

This is the second picture book to feature Nate the Great, and it is a lot of fun. We are introduced to Oliver and Nate’s dog Sludge, who would become main characters in the series, here. The mystery is good with Nate hitting a couple of dead ends before he reach
Miltona 3rd
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is about a kid named Nate. He is a detective. And he does lots of different missions. One book is called Nate the great goes undercover it is about Nate trying to find a base from a baseball field that is an octopus when Nate asks the person who owns the octopus(base)When Nate asks he responded I Left it right on my dresser. So Nate looks under his dresser but it wasn't there so he went to the baseball field and looked where the base (octopus) was and he didn’t find it. So he went back to t ...more
Amelia
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nate opens the book by introducing his new dog, Sludge, who he found eating stale pancakes. Nate knew right away he liked Sludge because he also loved pancakes, but not usually stale ones. While they are walking along here comes Oliver, who is very annoying. Oliver informs Nate that someone is rummaging through the garbage and this is a case for a true detective. Nate does research on different animals of the night and ends up watching the trash can to see which one comes. He comes to find out t ...more
Alfreda Morrissey
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
It is a cute little book. My daughter (6 at the time) who was completely opposed to chapter books agreed reluctantly to listen. She did end up liking it. It was slightly funny with very simple language. The main running gag was the fact that Nate feeds his dog's pancakes.

I would not read these as an adult for my own amusement, but my daughter kind of liked it. I will probably not purchase the rest in the series unless she wants to read them herself.

For reading aloud, there are many more interes
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Sidney
This book is about Nate the Great solving a case for his friend Oliver. Someone keeps knocking over his trashcan. Once Nate realizes that a person cant be knocking over the trashcan because no one likes trash he goes to the library to finds animals. On the way to discovering what was knocking over the trashcan Nate slept outside in the trashcan because being a detective is hard stinky work, ran into a telephone pole, got sprayed by a skunk, and lost a lot of sleep on his very first night case. N ...more
Nicola Mansfield

The second book in this series introduces Nate's dog, Sludge, who will be his companion in the rest of the books. A friend asks Nate to solve the mystery of who or what is tipping over his garbage can every night. Nate uses deductive reasoning skills to figure out who is *not* stealing the garbage. Then he uses the library to narrow down his list of who could be the culprit. I love the humour in these books. It is so dry and hilarious. The art, of course, is wonderful with the two-colour theme b
Dolly
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fairly typical entry in the Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. This one has him getting into stinky garbage to find out who's tipping over Oliver's garbage can. Interesting, a quick read, and simple sentences for beginning readers. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Heidi-Marie
A good read for beginners. Perhaps first grade. Large type, lots of white space, enough pictures throughout to help along with reading. Occasional big words to help the reader feel good, but also enough repeated words to make getting through it easier. And I like that the oh so great Nate still has troubles of his own and admits them. I'm sure the rest of the series is probably good for beginners, too.
Alberta Medina
Interest Level: Grades 3-5
Lexile Reading Level: 300L
Nate and his dog are doing their best to find the creature that has been raiding a neighbor's trashcan. A fun read to share with younger readers interested in chapter books or reluctant readers who are interested in mystery. Great for problem solving and critical thinking. One of the many books in the Nate the Great Series with familiar characters for younger readers.
Clinton Brown
In this book Nate was sleeping so then the phone rong. Then Nate woke up to answer. It was one of his friends he told Nate that he had a problem.then went to his house to see what the problem was he said some has been tipping his trash can over it .Then Nate had a plan he said that he will be in the trash can tonight . Then he herad something it was his dog sludge
Abbey
Back to Nate's adventures, but this time, the added element of a nighttime investigation and a new sidekick: a dog named Sludge, fellow pancake addict.
Nate is looking for the culprit that keeps tipping over Oliver's trashcans at night. Nate spends some quality time in the library, in a field, and in a garbage can.
Riotous as ever when read in my best Guy-Noir-hardboiled detective voice.
Christy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it

It's a tough case. Somebody is raiding Oliver's garbage can each night, but who? The list of suspects is long--Rosam..
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, easy-reader
Once again Nate the Great is called upon to solve a mystery, this time of who keeps tipping over the neighborhood garbage cans. He has to get right down to the smelly task to find out.

I'm still amazed by the author's strong voice in such a short book. This one got a little silly so I'm calling it more a 4.5 stars then 4. But it was still a fun read and highly recommended.
Ayana Mishelle
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
book 80 oages , one of our second grade students had it in his book book. took me a few lunch times to read the book and I read a lot. The book is a series and has short easky sentences and can be used for prediction. The fact that a little boy in our class loved the book may be the what you should go on , he liked the book and I am sure other first or second graders will like it too.
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This could very well be our favorite in the entire series. Nate faces his first night case. He looks left, he looks right, he looks behind. Left, Right, Behind, BAM! He smacks into a pole. It was right in front of him. The one place he forgot to look. My son never fails to laugh at the last line..."I, Nate the Great, am pooped."
Heather
William enjoyed this one even more than the 1st of the series. He got such a kick out of Nate hiding in the garbage can and getting sprayed by a skunk. It was a joy to see him try to solve the mystery himself.

Gift from Aunt Gloria - December 2016
Mr. Graham
I have debated whether or not these books are worth the time to include here. This book is hilarious. This author really created a great thing with this series of books. Her sense of humor really connected with my five-year-old (and me).
Geraldine Rahming
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.. This book is for kids!!!! I only read this book because my daughter had a class report to do...but it was fun reading it with her.. Nate The Great is a nice detective who love to solve mystery....
Kendra
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun old series that my going into first grader can read to me...a step up in complexity from our beloved "Henry and Mudge", and just as silly. I read these myself in grade school and am happy to revisit them!
Loyal
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I felt it to be one of Nate's better books. Nate has to go undercover to discover who has been rooting through Oliver's trash every night. It also introduces Nate's dog, Sludge. Again, a really great Nate the Great book.
Terri Pray
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-jack
The second in the Nate the Great stories that Jack has read with help. Some words he stumbled over, but it's a fun story with some repetitive words/sentences that make it easier for young readers to complete the story.
Susan
Michael says, "2 stars. I thought it was ok. It was long and I'm tired."

Katelyn says, "5 stars! For one, he is my age. 2nd, I liked how he got sprayed by the skunk. 3rd, I figured out the mystery!"
Megan Gitter
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
kind of funny and cute, not much to a background or setting though (where are his parents?)
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Nate the Great Goes Undercover
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for young boys
Karen
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jacob chose this book to read to me for his 15min a day reading time. He was so into it that he asked to finish the book. Of course we did! So sweet to see my son into reading..krb 1/4/16
J.J.
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Narrator is good but not as good as others. Still really cute though.
  • Mr Putter and Tabby Write the Book
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue