Start by marking “Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky” as Want to Read:
Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky

Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky

Sun and his wife, the moon, lived on Earth and built a large house so that the water people could visit. But so many poured in that they were forced to move to the sky.
Published April 30th 1990 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky

Melki
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
There's not a lot to this story, which is based on a folktale told by the Efik-Ibibio peoples of Southeastern Nigeria, but I did really like the author's illustrations.

description
Luann
Very simply told, with great illustrations. I particularly liked all of the fish and water animals. The note at the end says, "The story of how the sun and the moon came to live in the sky is told here as it might have been with African tribesmen dressed to represent the elements and the creatures of the sea." Since the illustrations depict people dressed as the sun, the moon, the water, fish, and various water animals, it makes me think it would be a fun story for students to dress up and act o ...more
Kristine Hansen
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The masks give a feeling of dance and movement to the classic story of how Sun and Moon were forced up into the sky. I can almost see the story being acted out, and watched with delight as the inevitable conclusion came to be. I wish the colors would have been a bit more vivid as the actual masks would be, but overall it's a good book and one I enjoyed reading.
Philip
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Philip by: Luann
Shelves: children
At any given moment I probably have 3 or 4 children's books on my "to-read" shelf. Given that the shelf currently has 541 books on it, I'd say the children's books are a little under-represented.

I also generally don't review them unless they've been reviewed by another goodreads friend of mine and they're the reason I got the book - as in Luann's review of this one, or I've been forced to read it a dozen times to one or both of my kids...

This was a decent book. I guess I don't have to review it
William
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky

Genre: Non-European Folktale

Theme: Generosity

Opening Line/sentence: “Many years ago, the sun and water were great friends, and they both lived on the earth together, the sun very often used to visit the water, but the water never returned the visits”.

Brief Book Summary: The sun and water are friends, but sun is upset because water never visits. So the sun asks why, and water says its because anywhere
Amber Bronder
Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky, written by Elphinstone Dayrell and illustrated by Blair Lent, is an African folktale depicting how our celestial elements came to be in the sky. The sun always visits the water in his house, and offers for the water to visit his home instead. The water warns the sun that his house must be very large to fit all of his being and creatures. The sun tells his wife, the moon, and after building a larger house the water finally comes to visit, pouring his ocea ...more
Melissa
This is a Nigerian traditional story about the Sun and the Water. The Sun would regularly visit the Water at his house, but the Sun's house was not big enough for the Water to visit. The Sun decided to build him and his wife, the Moon, a bigger home to host his friend. When Water came to visit with his friends and family, the Sun and Moon have to move to the sky to make room for Water. The illustrations are meant to represent all of Africa and received a Caldecott Honor. The illustrations are be ...more
Audrey Rodriguez
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elphinstone Dayrell’s folktale “Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky” provides an imaginative explanation for a natural phenomenon in a way that appeals to young children. Dayrell’s personification of the sun, water, and the moon make this book an engaging read for elementary aged children. I think Dayrell’s folktale makes for a fun and interesting introduction to a lesson on the forces of nature, such as the properties of water, the moon cycle, and more.

Additionally, the illustrations depi
Jesus Carino
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why the Sun and the Moon live in the sky (1968). A folktale about how the Sun and Moon came to be part of the sky. In this story the Sun and Sea are good friends, the Sun asked the Sea to visit his home. The Sea said that Sun’s house was not big enough. With the help of Sun’s wife, the Moon, they made a bigger home for the Sea to come visit. Unfortunately, the Sea and company were not able to fit in the home of Sun and Sea. Thus, the Sun and Moon end up living in the sky. This folktale is one th ...more
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: This myth tells the story of why the sun and moon stay in the sky.
Evaluation: Using personification when telling the story of the sun, moon, and the ocean, the story is very simply written and has quality illustrations. The author's note in the back of the text said that he compiled all African culture when creating this story. Overall it is an interesting book to read to the class.
Teaching Idea: There are two teaching ideas that come to mind when I think of this book. 1: Using this boo
Amalia
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
Awards: Caldecott Honor

Appropriate grade level(s):preschool-1st grade

Summary: This is the story of the sun and the water who were friends. The sun convinces the water to come over to his new big house, but the water keeps brining all his people, who eventually overflow the house. The moon and the sun had no choice but to go into the sky where they have stayed ever since.

Review: I think this was a very interesting book telling the legend of how the moon and the sun got into the sky. The book i
Hannah Rogers
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This folktale explains how the sun and moon came to live in the sky. One day the sun asked ocean why he never came over to visit him in his house. The ocean told the sun that his house was not big enough for him and all his people. So the sun and his wife, the moon built a bigger house. The ocean and his people then came over. There were so many ocean people that the sun and the moon had to sit in the sky to give the ocean people room. They never came back and that is why the sun and the moon l

Ashley B.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me because it outlines a new and creative way to answer the question, why does the sun and moon live in the sky? There are many suggestions and everyone has an opinion as to why, but this book shares a harmless idea of how the sun just wanted to invite his friend water over to his house. There was so much water, the sun and moon had to keep going up and up that they ended up in the sky and that's where they stayed. This was a neat idea to answer that question. That question c ...more
John
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because the Sun wants the Water to come to his house, but he doesn't have a big enough house, so they start building a big enough house and the water starts flowing in and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of creatures like water bulls flow in the house. And then the roof comes off and then the Sun and the Moon need to sit on the roof and then they float in the sky.

The End.
Danielle Minster
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why the Sun and Moon Live in the Sky is a piece of traditional literature as it is a folktale. This book has very beautiful, detailed and unique illustrations. I would use this book in all grades as it would beneficial to a traditional literature unit. I also like this for all grades as it can be interpreted literally for the lower grades as well as being interpreted figuratively in upper grades.
Gabrielle
This story explains why the sun and the moon live in the sky. I love the illustrations throughout this book! The illustrator really incorporated the tribal culture with the colors and the shapes in the characters. I love how they have a tribal look to them. This would be a cute story to share with young children. I think they would really like the illustrations and the story.
Maria Rowe
• 1969 Caldecott Honor Book •

I loved the ending - great book! I really enjoyed reading this - just a really simple, straightforward story. The illustrations are great and I especially enjoyed the masks of the water people. I love the colors too! Five stars all the way!

Materials used: unlisted
Typeface used: unlisted
Breyanna Hill
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story of how the sun and the moon came to live in the sky is told as it might have been with African tribesmen dressed to represent the elements and the creatures of the sea. The illustrations have been influenced by all Africa and they do not represent any one tribe or African country.
Kate Sanders
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has great illustrations. As an adult I was expecting a physical sun and an ocean or something. This book is creative in it's use of characters and plot of how the sun and moon got to be where they are.
Corey Hyde
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick and fun read to share with your children. It explains the nature of the sun and moon in a way that the children can enjoy.
Danna
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated pourquoi tale of how the sun and the moon live in the sky. My students were very interested in the African tale and quick to add their interpretations of the story.
Kathleen
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had to read this for an anthropology class- very interesting!
Claudia Rodriguez
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haley Barbour
Title: Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky: An African Folktale
Genre: Folklore/Ledgends
Theme(s):
Opening line/sentence: Many years ago the sun and water were great friends, and both lived on the earth together.
Brief Book Summary: This folktale tells the story of how the sun and the moon got to the sky. The Sun was unable to build a big enough house. Him and his wife, the moon were forced to move into the sky when the water came to visit.
P
Ashley
Jul 05, 2016 added it
Title: Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
Genre: Folklore – Non-European
Theme(s): friendship, sharing, the sun and water
Opening line/sentence:
Brief Book Summary:
The sun and water are really good friends so the sun wants water to visit him and his wife at his house. Water comes to visit but the house is not big enough so the sun and the moon are forced
Rosemary Sullivan
Kathryn Lovell
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecotts
This book is simple, but engaging. The illustrations draw the reader into the story, (it reminds me of the art of Tomie dePaola) and young readers are able to follow the story. Great for a unit on fables, folklore and mythology.
Lucy Hall
Title: Why The Sun and Moon Live in the Sky
Illustrator: (Lent, Blair)
Genre: Myth
Theme(s): Friendship, relationships
Opening line/sentence: (Many years ago the sun and water were great friends, and both lived on the earth together.)
Brief Book Summary: (A story explaining why the sun and the moon are up in the sky and why they sun comes out during the day and the moon comes out at night)
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: (From the Publisher
"An African folktale is inte
Mitchell
Caldecott Honor picture book. A retelling of an African folktale. Not especially interesting art or text. And not all that much to the story either. The idea was fine, the execution not so much.
Sierra
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was quite different but the short length to it and fun illustrations allow children to have an imagination. I wouldn’t say I was super impressed by the book however it is a Caldecott Winner and I can see why with the depth and idea of African tribesmen. This is an African folktale about how the sun and moon came to live up in the sky. Dayrell captured the friendship and generosity of the Sun, the Moon, and the Water perfectly. This friendship and connection between these three items is ...more
MCC Children's Li...: Caldecott - Challice #2 1 1 Feb 09, 2012 06:29PM