Start by marking “A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story” as Want to Read:
A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story

A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story

Bob Woodward made Jean Houston national news in the summer of 1996 when he revealed her working friendship with Hillary Clinton. Mrs. Clinton, Woodward reported, connected most enthusiastically with Dr. Houston and anthropologist Mary Catherine Bateson when they met with the Clintons at a Camp David retreat that also included presentations by Marianne Williamson, Anthony ...more
Published October 11th 1996 by HarperOne (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Mythic Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mythic Life

Start your review of A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story
Ladory
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I listened recently to Jean Houston's online presentation on finding one's purpose in life. She was actually presenting her online course at $400 per person. Since I'm not interested in taking any more self-improvement or self-exploratory courses, I decided to read her book instead. So I got the book from my local library.

I did not read this entire book. I only read about half. I had difficulty getting into it. When Ms. Houston was telling stories, she seemed like she was very impressed with
Elise Jensen
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I think most people who read a lot will say that there are certain books that changed their lives. I suppose, in all honesty, I have to say that when I read this book, I was at a sort of "crossroads" time anyway, so my life was changing with or without it.

Still, that said...

This book changed my life.
Marques
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful reading! A semi-autobiography chronicling life events as they pertain to relationships with archetypes and mythic entities found throughout history and geography. I found many moments where I felt the author was speaking directly to me.
Lena Cox
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A Mythic Life is the memoir of Jean Houston. Houston is a world leader in personal and social transformation. She anachronistically weaves the reader through her dreams, her conversations, her childhood, and her adulthood. With each thread of her weaving, she describes events in her life and how each event or fractal led to her path as a spiritual teacher. Her memoir draws parallels to how people have important past events that help them blossom and fulfill their present lives.

Houston’s
Andrea Avalon
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Her autobiography. Inspiring and expanding. Definitely one of the books that changed me. Recommended to me by Joshua Diess who I went to college with in LaGrande. Where is he now? I miss that crazy Phish lovin intellectual.
David Melbie
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comparative mythologists
Recommended to David by: Found it in the library in Las Vegas
I read this the first time back in 1997 when I was in living in Las Vegas by by myself that summer. I remember being very moved then, too! As she calls it herself, it is a metabiography. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Jeff
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very easy to read autobiographical book. I may have a bias towards the sychronistic leanings of the author, which may not appeal to everyone! In any case, it kept my attention until I ran out of pages.
Jeanie
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I saw Jean Houston at a conference and just loved her and love her more after reading the book. What a special person! The book was fun to read and explains a lot of her processes in working with groups. She has had some mystic experiences that are fun to read about.
Laura K
Sep 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Exhausting. I am going to try one of her other books that isn't quite as "heavy" because I am interested in the subject matter and what she has to say.
Greta Stough
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This woman is really cool--she seems to live at least three levels above I do. I must learn her secrets...
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jean's story is amazing.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
What an amazing woman!
Christopher
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jean continues to astound me.
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Intermittently interesting, but a bit of a slog. I'd much rather see the author speak than read her books and didn't finish this.
Rachel
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this book, though it is not my normal fare. I connect to some of Jean's ideas, and though I don't always agree with her techniques, I very much appreciate her over-all message.
Carolina
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Just didn't like the style of writing or the self involved story :-(
Maggie Duval

• A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
  • Nectar in a Sieve
  • Jesting Pilate
  • Fives and Twenty-Fives
Jean Houston, PhD, is a renowned teacher, philosopher, and scholar and was one of the creators of the human potential movement. With a remarkable list of colleagues and mentors that includes Aldous Huxley, Joseph Campbell, Helen Keller, and Buckmister Fuller, Houston shares her profound wisdom through engaging, firsthand accounts. With PhDs in both psychology and spirituality, Houston has worked ...more