Start by marking “The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

A complete and definitive edition of the Tennessee Williams's verse, with a CD of the author reading some of his poems in his unmistakable Mississippi drawl.

Few writers achieve success in more than one genre, and yet if Tennessee Williams had never written a single play he would still be known as a distinguished poet. The excitement, compassion, lyricism, and humor that ep
Published April 17th 2007 by New Directions (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems

Trixy Lemell
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my goodness...Poetry I can love!

I read a lot of poetry and I feel all the time that it is hit or miss. Some of it is so hard to wrap your head around. Williams poetry is for the people. I love it. It is like that album where it isn't just one or two hits you can listen to, but every song has you saying, "This is going to be the next one they put on the radio. The next #1."

Emily, watch out...I might have a new love.
Rural Sellers
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
For some reason I was surprised that Tennessee Williams wrote poetry. The poetry is actually good (no surprise there!) but somehow doesn't grab me the was Donald Hall or Mary Oliver or Auden do.
Gia Charles
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of Williams' plays, I was curious to pick up this book of his poetry. Overall, I wasn't extremely impressed but a few stuck with me quite a bit such as The Wine Drinkers and What's Next on The Agenda, Mr. Williams? and The Little Town. Being fascinated with Williams' life it was interesting to see more writing on his drinking habits, the psych ward, family issues, problems with insomnia, and his relationships with men and women.
Craig
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Historically interesting to fans of Williams and GLBT historians, these oh-so-frank poems lend insight into the man and the social mores he dissected in his works. Editorially, the section of verse from film and plays seems redundant to anyone other than an OCD completist. The cover art by Brian Rea and the accompanying CD are nice additions to this volume.
Lauren Gail
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ADORE IT.
Rocco Thompson
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really not the greatest poems ever written, but so much fun if you're a fan of Tennessee! Plus, my edition came with a CD of the author HIMSELF reading a few of his poems which is so very cool!
Mary Paul
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Some of these were nice. I was in a rush to finish this, though, not the best way to digest poetry. Then again, it's sort of a mish-mosh of his material.
Hannah
Jul 03, 2013
Matt
Dec 14, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thomas Lanier Williams III, better known by the nickname Tennessee Williams, was a major American playwright of the twentieth century who received many of the top theatrical awards for his work. He moved to New Orleans in 1939 and changed his name to "Tennessee," the state of his father's birth. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for A Streetcar Named Desire in 1948 and for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ...more
“We have not long to love.
Light does not stay.
The tender things are those
we fold away.
Coarse fabrics are the ones
for common wear.
In silence I have watched you
comb your hair.
Intimate the silence,
dim and warm.
I could but did not, reach
to touch your arm.
I could, but do not, break
that which is still.
(Almost the faintest whisper
would be shrill.)
So moments pass as though
they wished to stay.
We have not long to love.
A night. A day....”