Start by marking “Starling (Starling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starling (Starling, #1)

Starling

(Starling #1)

Mason Starling is a champion fencer on the Gosforth Academy team, but she's never had to fight for her life. Not until the night a ferocious, otherworldly storm rips through Manhattan, trapping Mason and her teammates inside the school. She finds herself besieged by nightmarish creatures even more terrifying than the thunder and lightning. The raging tempest also brings a ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by HarperTeen (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Starling, please sign up.
Jessica Audrey It's not about zombies at all. They are attacked by some zombie- like creatures at the beginning, but the novel focuses on mythologies, mostly Nordic.…moreIt's not about zombies at all. They are attacked by some zombie- like creatures at the beginning, but the novel focuses on mythologies, mostly Nordic. (less)
YA Novels of 2012
1,323 books — 10,701 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,527 books — 15,739 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
1.5 Stars
Mason Starling is a champion fencer. One night while in the middle of practice, a terrible storm rips through her swanky New York school. With the storm comes some apocalyptic killer zombie and a naked sword wielding blonde worrier, The Fennrys Wolf. Who also happens to have a bad case of amnesia. This book revolves around Norse mythology and prophecies for the end of the world and somehow Mason is caught in the middle of it all.

That sounds awesome right?

WELL DON’T BE FOOLED!!!

The openi
Marie
4.5 stars.
OMG- WAS SO NOT READY FOR THAT ENDING. MY MIND IS REELING. STILL TRYING TO CATCH UP WITH THE LATEST EVENTS.

DAMN. THIS TOOK 'OTHERWORDLY" TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

THERE WERE GODS AND GODDESSES, DEMONS, ZOMBIES, GHOSTS, WEREWOLVES, FARIES, VIKINGS AND GODS KNOWS WHAT ELSE.

I got to say the ending was the best- I just didn't see that coming!! I was on edge until the very last page, glued to the story and waiting to see what happened next.

This book was unpredictable and unforseeable you jus
Penny
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's just ok.
I will not continue reading this series. It is not interesting enough.
Katie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Similar Books: Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson, Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep, and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Confession: I'd never read a Lesley Livingston book before picking up Starling. I know. It's hard for me to believe, too. And I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'm about to go buy every single book in the Wondrous Strange series.

I've been looking forward to Starling ever since I saw the pitch for it on Goodreads almost a year ago. I'm a mythology whore, so anyth
Kathy
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Edit - listened to this again January 2015 - Just as good the 2nd time through. (read originally February 2013)

I really enjoyed Lesley Livingston's Wonderous Strange Series so I was excited to start her newest series Starling. I listened to the audio version of this book which was narrated by Lesley. I'm not usually a fan of author narrated books but Lesley is definitely an exception to that rule. She does a great job of bringing her books to life.

Starling is based on Norse mythology which I'm n
Whitley Birks
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Hey, guys! Do you want a book full of action! Adventure! Mystery! Mythology! Stuff happening! Excitement! Battles! Yes? Sound awesome? OMG and this book opens with a tense battle in a gymnasium with mysterious monsters and a naked guy that fell out of nowhere? SO COOL!

Oh, wait, it was all a trick.

Yes, that’s right, if you read this book and love the first three chapters, you might as well put it down after that and call it a short story. After that first blush of action, the book then proceeds t
Thyago | MrsMargotBlog
Starling almost convinced me. I was curious with the second volume, but don't know if it's enough to give a second chance.
Starling is a story of fantasy genre, which brings us many secrets and mysteries, a collision between two worlds, where a human world start to appear supernatural beings.
A completely elitist school, follows the first incident with supernatural beings, which makes some students realize that maybe that school hide something more as well as hides something the founding familie
Ronda
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves otherworldy happenings...
Shelves: 2012-favourites
I really didn't know what to expect with this book and I don't know what to say now that I've finished it, except - where the hell is book 2 already!!!

I have to say, Starling kept me as fixated as what Cassandra Clare did with The Mortal Instruments.... so much was going on and I was enthralled from start to finish - or should I say from start to BLOODY CLIFF HANGER!!! In no way am I comparing the books, I just mean that I loved this one in just the same way...

Oh My God What An Ending!!! I DID N
There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book, it was just slow, and I found it pretty put-down-able.

Mason was an okay character, but I didn’t love her. She had a bit of a rough time of it with her dad and being attacked repeatedly, but I just didn’t love her.

The storyline in this had plenty of action, but I found it really put-down-able. I would read a couple of pages, then I’d find something else to do. It just didn’t engage me the way I wanted it to.
There was some romance, but it was a
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who still aren't sick of the standard paranormal romance formula
I'm going to put this out there and make no bones about it: I didn't care for Starling. There were a few different reasons for that, some of which are just bad timing and others which involve Starling running along classic YA tropes I personally dislike. Now, some books I don't like leave a bad taste in my mouth, make me angry, but this one didn't. I know many readers will enjoy this, and I do not begrudge them that. It just was not for me.

Starling sounded so up my aisle like you wouldn't believ
☆☆Hannah☆☆
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't a terrible book but it wasn't great either. I felt that there should have been more action. Most mythology books usually do. I will admit I was intrigued by the ending. Someday maybe I will continue this trilogy.
Julie Czerneda
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lesley Livingston keeps getting better and better -- and she started at amazing, so that's saying something. Her latest, STARLING, collects a favourite character from her previous books (won't spoil it by saying who)and launches him into new and bigger problems. He's not alone. There's a new fabulous, gutsy, real heroine named Mason Starling introduced in this, the first of the Starling saga books.
I, for one, CAN'T WAIT for more!
Excellently written, paced, imagined. Truly an exceptional book by
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)

My review can also be found on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.ca/2012/0...

Oh how I missed being in Lesley Livingston's awesome fictional universe!! I absolutely loved her debut trilogy, Wondrous Strange, and specifically the Fennrys Wolf. So, you can imagine how excited I was when we learned who was going to be part of her new trilogy -- you guessed it -- our beloved FENNRYS!!

While it's not imperative to be familiar with the Wondrous Strange world before cracking open Starling, I wil
Reading Teen
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
At a Glance:

Starling was an exciting beginning to new story where so many supernatural and mythological creatures come together. Being based mostly on Norse mythology, but with pieces of faery lore, made this book something original and intense. I really enjoyed it!

The Audio:

I love it when the author reads her own books for the audio production, if she's good, that is. I thought Lesley did a great job with the reading. She sounded as good as any other reader I've heard, and I liked knowing that
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I was so looking forward to this book as although the Wondrous Strange trilogy is not my favorite YA series, it is one I really enjoyed. The Fennrys Wolf..or "Fenn" is my favorite character in that series although he is more or less part of a triangle - the left out part. Just a little background but The Fennrys Wolf was kidnapped by the fey King as a small child and trained and made into a Janus Guard and thus has long outlived his family and time in the real world. He was a Viking Prince desti ...more
Emily McDonough
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
The synopsis of this book had me so excited, a girl who is a gifted fencer, a wolf, monsters, mythology and the apocalypse. Nothing could go wrong, Right!?
Wrong.
The very beginning of the book(first couple of chapters) was exhilarating, a monstrous storm blows through New York City, blowing a tree through Gosforth Academy's Gym where the protagonist Mason and her classmates happen to be. Zombie like creatures called the draugr attack them. A mysterious naked young man who is later revealed to be
Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!}
I was really looking forward to reading this book! I've been going through a fencing phase and I really wanted to like this more!
The story is sweet and there are some cool fighting scenes, but I feel that they weren't highlighted like I expected them to be... Mason keeps losing her confidence in her skills and even after all the practice and effort she put into her traing a few verbal jabs from a former teammate are enough to throw her off her game. :P I expected Mason to be a more kickass char
!Aria!
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the book. It had MAGIC, LOVE, WONDER, BEAST, FARIES, and FATE in it. It was a good book and a book worth reading in anyone's free time. The book wasn't bad, but it wasn't my favorite book either. It was average enough to read and good enough to keep me interested. Read the series if you haven't yet, so you can see for yourself!!!!!
Rachael
Nov 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
Wait... Fennrys Wolf as in the same Fennrys Wolf from Wondrous Strange? Is she mixing the two series together or something??
Amanda Young
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad, but the accent in the audio copy is distracting. Bounces between new England accent and Canadian. Words like been, sorry, and again sound so off compared to the rest of the reading.
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Okay, first off. WHERE ON ASGARD IS THE SECOND BOOK??!!

Cover: Excuse me? Cover design artists? Can I has your attention?

*ahem*

Mason's hair is black (as Fenn points out on more than more occasion). Not brown
Her eyes are sapphire blue. Not brown.
Why is she in water?
What kind of a blurb is that?

I liked it; an interesting, fast read. I was never bored or wanted to chuck it aside. I liked the characters. Esp. Fenn, the poor dear.

This book is similar but different enough from Wondrous Stra
Rachel
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
STARLING is an exciting and action-packed adventure, with a fierce heroine, an even fiercer hero, shocking twists and turns and an ending that will make you desperate to get your hands on the next book in the series.

The story instantly pulls you in, introduces you to the world and nearly tears it apart, all within the first few pages. It’s fast-paced, it’s wildly entertaining, it’s got more than a little sizzle, and it will be impossible to put down until you’ve met every deadly threat and witne
Leah (Jane Speare)
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jeezums. Well there's a cliffy if I ever saw one....sigh.

review to come.

~~~

See the full review on my blog! http://much-ado-about-books.blogspot....

I'll start off by saying I'm already a fan of Lesley Livingston; I read her Wondrous Strange trilogy in the span of two days. (I love anything Shakespeare, if you haven't gotten that already.) When I heard about this book, I didn't know until quite a while later, that it was a spin-off series, sort of centering around the supporting character, Fennrys
usagi ☆ミ
4.5/5 stars.

Here's what makes me different from a lot of fans who liked this book - I really did NOT like the previous trilogy featuring Fennrys Wolf, "Wondrous Strange". I couldn't get into it, couldn't relate to it. But in "Starling", Livingston feels like a totally new writer. I didn't want to throw the book across the room, I didn't want to punch the heroine. Livingston has made leaps and bounds of progress in "Starling", and you can definitely bet that I'm reading book two.

Now, what I'm not
Miss Clark
Anna (Literary Exploration)
More of my reviews can be found on my blog: Literary Exploration

Lesley Livingston's Starling is an epic adventure filled with Norse mythology and fantastical elements. I've always been a fan of mythology, but Norse mythology is a rarity in YA fiction. Livingston did a wonderful job uniting the fantastical with reality. Sometimes mystical creatures are hidden right in plain sight! There was little that I didn't like about Starling. It's an epic adventure filled with strong characters and intrigui
Lili
Jul 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I greatly enjoyed WONDROUS STRANGE the year it came out. But that was also long enough ago that my reading taste has evolved drastically. I don't know if Livingston’s writing has always been this way and I liked it more when I was younger, or if this book just missed the mark that WONDROUS STRANGE was able to hit. Either way, I think I went in expecting too much and was, unfortunately, disappointed.

While the opening sequence of this book is awesome in the sense that it is packed full of action,
Nikki S
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book wasn't exactly up to my expectations. I was expecting a fast paced novel that would rock my socks off with all its mythology and action, but what I got was just a mythological novel that fell flat to me.
Mason Starling is a girl who is a master in fencing. She can take over any competition and win against anyone. One night while practicing, a storm come and almost wipes out her entire school, Gosforth Academy. With the storm comes a mysterious stranger whom makes all the difference i
Sara (sarabara081)
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books!

3.5 stars!

As a big fan of mythology in school, primarily Greek, I instantly jump at the chance to read a novel with mythology roots. What had me excited for Starling is the Norse mythology, which I must admit I do not have much knowledge of. I've had a hard time gathering my thoughts on this one, for some reason, but I will do my best to break it down.

Starling doesn't waste any time to dive into the action and continues to have some great seque
Once
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I just finished listening to the audio version of this book and I am blown away. This story is not at all what I expected. When the story first started out I was a little confused because I thought Mason was a boy. Once I got past that part and realized Mason is a girl, the story flowed a lot better lol.

The story starts out with action and ends with action and a tiny spoiler here, it ends on a cliffhanger that left me sitting at my desk at work and I had to stop what I was doing with a very

• Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Auracle
  • After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)
  • Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Dark Star (Dark Star, #1)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • So Close to You (So Close to You, #1)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Crux
  • Touched
  • The Dark Light
  • My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)
  • Inbetween (Kissed by Death, #1)
  • The Temptation (Kindred, #1)

Starling (3 books)
  • Descendant (Starling, #2)
  • Transcendent (Starling, #3)
“Death holds no fear for me. I shall conquer it as I conquer all things.” 20 likes
“That hallmark image of cupid as a fat cherub with arrows? I think the real cupid is some kind of psycho juvie with a taser.” 12 likes