Start by marking “Rick Steves' Istanbul” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Istanbul

Rick Steves' Istanbul

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Provides historical walking tours and trip itineraries where you can admire mosques, find deals at the Grand Bazaar, explore Sultanahmet Park, and discover Topkapi Palace. Clear instructions for smooth travel anywhere by car, train, or foot. Highlights Rick's newest "back door" discoveries throughout the city. Features web support at www.ricksteves.com, the most heavily vi ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published April 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Istanbul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Istanbul

Melissa
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[2009.05] Bought and brought with us on the Istanbul portion of our Spring-Summer 2009 Europe trip. We liked the book for its walking tours of various parts of the city and of some of the attractions. Our standard use of guidebooks that we bring with us involves cutting them up into chucks, so we have less to carry in the daypack, and sometimes we leave the bits we've finished with other travelers who might find them useful. And our standard bit regarding RS books: The book has good info (e.g. h ...more
Trena
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nerds on their first visit to Istanbul
I have never watched Rick Steves's show, but his "Through the Back Door" philosophy annoys me because (1) well, it sounds perverted, and (2) in the age of the internet, there really are no "secrets" or "undiscovered gems" in Europe (where Steves travels). There is certainly still a place for travel books, but more as information organizers than as secret revealers.

Anyway, I checked out pretty much the entire collection of Turkey and Istanbul travel books from the library and after looking throug
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent! If you are going on vacation to Istanbul I highly recommend it!

I am a big fan of Rick Steve's guidebooks. I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect from his first guidebook not written by him but by an Istanbul couple he does tours with. This book pretty much lived up to the standard I have come to expect from his guidebooks.

The little maps were enormously helpful. The maps in this book were the primary ones my husband and I used navigating around the city. We used th
Mark Masters
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Rick Steve’s book was everything it advertises, and I’m sure it will be handy when (and if) I make it to Istanbul. However, I can’t help but feel disappointed. Everything in the book could have been found on the internet. I was hoping for something with more descriptions of places off the beaten path.
Jenni
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great resource. On the trip down the Bosporous, we were able to follow the markers all along the way. The book was invaluable in helping us figure out how to take the trams, buses, and other transportation, where to change money, how to locate the ferry, ticket booths, and many attractions. It did not let us down.
Noel
Enjoyed reading this in anticipation of my next trip. Really needed to brush up on the Ottoman Empire and this had just enough history for me. Will reserve judgment on the rest of the book until after the trip.
Adria
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves guides are consistently good travel resources. This one is no exception. He keeps them up to date every year. Historical and descriptive information is very useful. Maps and walking tours easy to follow. Excellent.
Stephanie Benson
The BEST travel guides out there. In addition to the basic info about sites, Rick Steves et al give you interesting tid bits that make the trip memorable.

Only trouble is that the prices raised at the big attractions right after he published. So keep that in mind.
Seth
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, turkey
The walking tours were a nice feature, but Lonely Planet is still the way to go when in the market for travel books.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rickie Steve is always a good bet
Grace
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't use it like I had intended to - never had the opportunity to do the suggested walks. Mainly used for the shopping tips.
Elizabeth Bosse
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to using this book when we travel to Istanbul next month.
Susan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading for preparation to Istanbul trip.
Carol
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Steves Guidebooks are generally well written and allow you to find out what you want to know about a place so you can explore on your own. This one lived up to the usual reputation.
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
made our trip much easier
Melissa
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative as always, especially helpful in finding and understanding Turkish baths in Istanbul.
S.G.