Start by marking “I Seem To Be A Verb” as Want to Read:

I Seem To Be A Verb

Published 1970 by Bantam

Kaija
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
interesting, but the point gets lost in all the fancy formatting. drop acid for an instantaneous rosetta stone
JP
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Throw the contents of a famous engineer's brain at a small paperback, and let the contents fall how they will: upside down, bizarrely set, unified by a single line of coherent thought running through pages of quotes, photography, and commentary. Gradually the reader perceives what the past and future must look like to the author - a breathtaking acceleration and transformative flowering of human potential - but instead of explicitly telling us its perspective, the book requires us to slowly back ...more
Brandon
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
we do all too often think of ourselves as nouns, as something fixed and permanent, rather than a system that is constantly in motion, as in blood flowing, nerve impulses shooting around, mind constantly thinking, a form of motion.

This book is a wonderful way to introduce the reader to thinking about themselves as something in motion rather than something static.

Perhaps most important is that this is the first e-book, even though it is not available that way, only as printed books. The combinatio
Neven
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
A perfectly charming, cute, naive, cranky collage of jokes, clever insights, utopian plans, and futuristic predictions about technology and society. It's wacky enough that it doesn't need to take its message too seriously, but interesting enough to get you flipping pages. Unique.
Tine!
Jan 04, 2015 added it
'SNOT A BOOK; 'SA 'SPERIENCE
Dustin
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bucky was a machine.
Ted Alling
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the most unique and thought provoking books, I have ever read. The whole time reading, I thought about the Mark Twain quote “History doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes.”
Katherine
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The experience of reading the snippets and viewing the photos that comprise this careful design — reading front to back, then back to front upside down — is like hurtling through space and time. Then you get to read the ticker-tape marching across the middle of each page like a continuous ribbon of text, which acts as a sort of summary as you see glimpses of all the same ideas again, but faster. There are some great juxtapositions between the two halves, too, that become apparent when viewing th ...more
Kelly
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Impressive given it was written in the late 1960's. Demonstrates how visionary Buckminster Fuller was as well as how much we've been debating/worrying/solving the same problems, issues, concerns for 100s of years.
Sheik
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the eye opener...1968, a year of great upheaval, synergy, dymaxion, use less get more. I Seem to Be a Verb
Gretchen
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Classic book of my childhood! a most excellent book.

I seem to be a verb... indeed.
Tiff
May 08, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012, own
This wasn't what I expected and I really don't know how to give it a rating.
Mark Siegmund
best intro to Bucky's early views and work
Joey
May 22, 2012 added it
we need more livingry and less weaponry. can't wait for that design science revolution to roll world around
Tanya Procknow
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting look at what things were big in 1970.
crab
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read, and one of the most fun and interesting. Not many books can get me to read them front to back right side up, back to front upside down twice.
Nick Lee
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely a creative work. Very optimistic about technology's ability to take humanity to the next level.
J Name
  • The Size of Thoughts: Essays and Other Lumber
  • Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of Experience
  • Punctuated Equilibrium
  • The Theory of the Four Movements
  • The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century
  • Remaking Eden: How Genetic Engineering and Cloning Will Transform the American Family
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop–from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • Disassembly Required: A Field Guide to Actually Existing Capitalism
  • The Philosopher's Table: How to Start Your Philosophy Dinner Club - Monthly Conversation, Music, and Reci pes
  • Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
  • The New Inquisition: Irrational Rationalism and the Citadel of Science
  • The Ghost Apple
  • Isaiah Berlin: A Life
  • The Faith of the Faithless: Experiments in Political Theology
  • America the Philosophical
  • Humanimal: A Project for Future Children
  • A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History
Richard Buckminster "Bucky" Fuller was an American architect, systems theorist, author, designer, and inventor.

Fuller published more than 30 books, coining or popularizing terms such as "Spaceship Earth", ephemeralization, and synergetic. He also developed numerous inventions, mainly architectural designs, and popularized the widely known geodesic dome. Carbon molecules known as fullerenes were la
“I am convinced that creativity is a priori to the integrity of the universe and that life is regenerative and conformity meaningless.” 78 likes
“Pollution is nothing but resources we're not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.” 23 likes