Start by marking “The Sandman: Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:

(The Sandman)

There is a dark king who rules our dreams from a place of shadows and fantastic things. He is Morpheus, the lord of story. Older than humankind itself, he inhabits -- along with Destiny, Death, Destruction, Desire, Despair, and Delirium, his Endless sisters and brothers -- the realm of human consciousness. His powers are myth and nightmare -- inspirations, pleasures, and ...more
Published January 8th 2002 by HarperTorch (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, please sign up.
Justin Neil Gaiman is one of the editors and writes the introductions to the stories, but has no pieces in the collection. There are no illustrations.

Start your review of The Sandman: Book of Dreams
Elizabeth Wallace
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I recently grabbed this book off my shelf, intending to just reread my favorite story "An Extra Smidge of Eternity" by Robert Rodi. And somehow ending up rereading the whole thing. I'm AMAZED at how much I'd forgotten from the last time I read it, because they're certainly not forgettable. I think I had as much fun reading this as I did the very first time I read it.

"Splatter" by Will Shetterly is pretty disturbing, but it's wonderful for all of us who wanted to hear just a teeny bit more about
PurplyCookie
For eight years, Gaiman mined this rich vein, only to stop at the height of the series' popularity, at a point in time when he felt the story he had in mind from the beginning had reached its natural conclusion. Gaiman's creations live on however, in DC's new series "The Dreaming", and in this anthology, written by several mainstream (i.e., non-comic book) writers.

Of Morpheus, from the Preface by Frank McConnell: "He is not a god; he is older than all the gods, and is their cause. He is the
Kris
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A mixed bag, to be honest. There were some real winners, like Robert Rodi's "An Extra Smidgen of Eternity" and Delia Sherman's "The Witch's Heart". It was nice to see Susannah Clarke's story as well; I started reading her work because Neil Gaiman had said in an interview that she was an author he enjoyed. I didn't care for Lawrence Schimel's "Endless Sestina", but I don't, as a rule, like a lot of poetry. According to wikipedia, several other authors (including Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen, ...more
John Kirk
Like most anthologies, this is a mixed bag, i.e. some stories are better than others. However, even the best don't measure up to the standards of the Sandman comics, so I don't recommend it; at the very least, it's a book to borrow rather than buy.

My favourite story is "Splatter" (by Will Shetterly), set during The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists. It works well on its own merits, but it doesn't quite fit with the source material. (view spoiler)
Julia
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a collection of 18 stories by various authors (not Gaiman himself) who have written their pieces based on Gaiman's great concept of the Endless and of Morpheus, the Sandman, the King of Dreams. I only found two of them to be compelling--hence the three stars. But the two stories themselves are 5 stars for each. These two were the only ones to really bring the Dreaming World into the tale.

Barbara Hambly uses Gaiman's Cain and Abel to compose a chilling story called "Each Damp Thing",
María Ciancio
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I just took a long time to read because each story was bewitching in it's own way, it just didn't feel right to read one immediately after another. There's some dark entrancing magic to every tale. Really a great selection.
Airiz
Ill be bluntthis is perhaps not the best anthology of short stories about Neil Gaimans The Sandman graphic novels. They are not on par with the quality of the original series, although thats not saying this collection is totally unreadable. It's just...dominated with duds. There are some shorts that are so engrossing like Each Damp Thing, Splatter, (my favorite!) and Stoppt Clock Yard. I also liked Tori Amos epilogue about Death, although technically its more like a personal reflection where she ...more
Christian McKay
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
You already know in your heart whether you want to read this collection or not. But if you're in a rush, and you aren't sure if other authors are capable of capturing that Gaiman magic, try these:

Each Damp Thing by Barbara Hambly
The Witch's Heart by Delia Sherman
and Stopp't-Clock Yard by Susanna Clarke (which is arguably one of the greatest Sandman stories ever written)
Heather
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best thing I can say about this collection of stories is that it makes the source material that much better in comparison.
Sarede Switzer
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually into fan fiction but seeing as these stories were endorsed and I think hand selected by Neil Gaiman I figured I'd give it a try. Enjoyed some of the stories more than others. My favorites were "Stronger Than Desire", "Splatter" (this was my fave), "Escape Artist" "An Extra Smidgen of Eternity", "The Writer's Child" (actually maybe this was my fave. Suuuuuper creepy.), "The Witches Heart",
Elisabeth
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fandom, fantasy
I shelved this as fandom because it's basically high-end Sandman fanfic. Fortunately, most of it is very very good. A few are wrenching; only one was too dull to finish. I enjoyed recognizing names that would become more well known later - Susanna Clarke, for example, makes an excellent contribution.

Overall an excellent re-visit to the world of Gaiman's Sandman.
Boethia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
As with (almost) every anthology, this collection is somehow unbalanced. I basically didn't care for any of the stories from the first half of the book and I've enjoyed a fair bit of the second half - so I guess there's a balance in a sense, although this is entirely subjective.

The stories are of course connected by theme (sometimes very loosely, but the majority of them feature Morpheus or his siblings) and they're all within the same genre, which was to be expected, but to be honest, I'd
Miles Ford
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Book of Dreams is a collection of the graphic novels by the name The Sandman. They are about a being named Dream. He is the master of dreams and can change anyones dream as he sees fit. He faces struggle when he is drawn from his kingdom and help captive for one hundred years by an organization wanting power. A side effect to Dream being held captive is that some people never wake up from their dreams.

I enjoyed the character Dream, or Morpheus,
Tara Hall
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I have been a fan of Neil Gaiman since the 90s, and so when I saw this anthology of short stories based on his characters, I picked it up used. It took me a long time to read, as most of the stories were not ones that kept me on the edge of my seat. It also had been some time since I had read Sandman, and though I once had been familiar with the seven siblings Dream, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction, Delirium, and Destiny, remembering them took about half the book.
Anthologies are hard to
Jsrott
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent selection of stories that continue the epic world of Gaiman's Sandman. It shows just how well executed the cycle is by how easy it is to envision these tales, even without the aid of graphics. Very satisfying, but makes me want to go back and read the originals all over again.
Izlinda
I don't know if the newer printed edition of this (paperback, and with a different cover) is in any way different from this edition (hardcover with a yellow and blue cover with a raven). But I don't think they are, and this was the only the library had available.

It is strange to read stories in prose based in this universe made by Neil Gaiman. I've read the Dreaming and Destiny graphic novels after finishing the series (and the two Death graphic novels and the one drawn by Yoshitaka Amano) so
Kitty
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Ho hum, ho hum, after the absolute power house that was The Sandman I find myself assured in my beliefs that no one but Neil himself should ever write for the series. Over all this was a very bland collection of stories hat at times had very little to do with any of The Endless that ranged from mediocre to down right painful for the most of the book. However there were a few good pieces in here that definitely made it worth while to drudge through the lesser parts.

Masquerade & High Water,
Sara
Jul 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of neil gaiman, fans of short stories, fans of the endless, fans of dreaming
this collection of short stories based about and around neil gaiman's characters from his 'sandman' graphic novel series is actually pretty good. some better than other but after coming kind of late into the game with the sandman stuff i devoured everything that had anything to do with the series. i couldn't let it go yet. i was please and slightly relieved that i wasn't the only one.
these stories only gave proff to how inspiring sandman was. everyone wanted a crack at gaiman's storytelling
Patrick
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I found this book to be really interesting and very diverse. Which I think lended its self to making it a good read. The variances of stories and how the authors presented them was different idea and understanding. Going to the table of contents I saw one story that I thought I was going to really like it turned out I actually hated it and not because of the writer or the style but more of the content. So I like that it kept me on the edge of my seat. I was understanding of different tales and ...more
George
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but not as good as the actual Sandman stories. A few of the stories here were great, but most felt to me like someone going out of their way to write a story about the Endless. Like the authors thought it would be cool and fun, but since they weren't their characters it was like wearing a pair of shoes that don't quite fit. Recommended for anyone that loved The Sandman, but if you haven't read those, this isn't a must-read (although you may actually like it better without knowing ...more
Fox
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish this one; am not counting this as being read this year for that reason.

I like the Sandman universe very well, I just wasn't feeling it too powerfully under other people's direction. Might be my problem, rather than a problem with the stories directly as I didn't read them all.

Oh well, at least there are some graphic novels I haven't read in the series.
Nicole
Jan 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
I really couldn't get into this book. I realize all the characters were symbolic of different things in life and I realize each story had a theme. Most of the stories, I would get half way through and just give up. I couldn't develop a connection with any of the stories which is a shame because by reading the description of the book, this should be right up my alley.
Jamie
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically fan fiction. I stopped reading as soon as I had another book in my hand. I love the Endless, but stories about the Endless are best in graphic novel form, and written by Neil Gaiman.
Erin
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Hmmm, I realize Gaiman probably loved all of these stories, but I only like about half of them. The other ones made it hard to finish the book, even if they were short stories. But that's what happens when you have different authors in one book, very rare that you will like all of it.
Vasil Kolev
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I've been reading this for a while, some of the stories in it are good, but a lot are just tangled and unreadable.
Joey
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i like so much the story of Lisa Goldstein "STRONGER THAN DESIRE".....
Springtxman
Jan 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Book of short stories, probably better as graphic novel than short story
Courtney
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sandman, neil-gaiman
Some of the stories were amazing, other fell a little flat. I enjoyed the stories that had the Endless in them more prominently more so. Glad to have an extra taste of the Sandman universe, though.
Velvetink
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, z-1990-s
Just found this on my shelves again. Must read it again. I had not heard of the Sandman before this. Once tasted fully addicted.
Kimberly Carpenter
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I was expecting so much more! Some of the stories were neat and wished they were longer, others couldn't end quick enough. Overall it was good, but did not meet my high expectations!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Sandman Companion
  • The Scar (New Crobuzon, #2)
  • Lucifer, Vol. 6: Mansions of the Silence
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Death: At Death's Door
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • The Wizard's Dilemma
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)
  • World's End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)