Start by marking “The Strawberry Picker” as Want to Read:
The Strawberry Picker

The Strawberry Picker

(Jette Weingärtner #1)

Eighteen-year-old Jenna is sharing a flat in Bröhl, Germany, with her friends Caro and Merle when a girl is killed nearby. The murder seems to have parallels with two other frightening crimes.

Then one day Caro is found murdered - stabbed seven times and with her necklace missing, just like the other girls. At the funeral Jenna swears revenge in front of everybody, and in t
Published 2007 by Definitions (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Strawberry Picker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strawberry Picker

carola
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, thriller-crime
I started reading this a couple of times and I am really not a person who stops reading a book
so early but I just never really "connected" with the book. It's probably better than my rating, sorry!
Tanja
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book was really really amazing. Altought it's defenitely not my genre i prefere to read, I really liked it! I mean, 'I've never read a thriller before, cause they didn't seem to fit me. But this book proofed me completly wrong!
If you're searching for an amazing, thrilling and well-written book you're perfectly right to take this one :)
1thuyvanv
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tosca
This was the first novel I've ever read in entirety in German so I was pretty proud of myself for that. However, it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. The back cover basically gives away the first 220 pages (of a 350 page book), so it was hard to get through the first 50% of the book already knowing what was going to happen. Needless to say, it was a slow start.

Things I liked: great descriptions, different perspectives, good character development of Bert, Imke, and Merle.

Things I dislik
Natalie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Perry Abdullah
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Monika Feth has written an intense page-turner in The Strawberry Picker. There are times that I forgot this is a young adults fiction. Although there isn't much suspense to the killer's identity, but I think the author has done a good job in creating the thrill especially towards the second half of the book where I find myself holding my breath and worrying for Jenna's safety.
Dascha DaZeal
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Der Erdbeerpflücker" is the worst book I've ever read. Period.
How can a character be so superfical and a story such an unfocused mess?
If I could, I would give it 0 stars.
How can a book just be so much of a ship wreck???
leynes
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the few YA thrillers I ever read. I don't feel inclined to check out more. :D
Carolina Imhof
Too boring to be a thriller... Definitely not reading the rest of the books if the person solving the mysteries is Jette! Silly girl, but not funny at all. Bad combination.
R.Grewal
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Couldn't even get into it, boring and confusing.
Esin
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Bookiverse
Mihona
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belinda Schön
I am a huge lover of thriller-novels but this one just did not do it for me. We know who the murder is from the very beginning, and we follow his hunt for one of his last victims best friend. The mind of the killer was so messed up that it kept it interesting, yet, even at the end, there was no explanation for why he behaved this particular way and that was a huge dissapointment, because I wanted to know a little bit more about him. The main protagonist, Jette, went through a complete change of ...more
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 stars.

I enjoyed the book. It was not as suspenseful as most mystery novels for the fact that it followed multiple characters, the murderer included. Yet, it was still interesting and took on a slower pace than I expected, but it was a pace that I liked and found intriguing. The POVs jumped around a bit, it may bug other people, for me I thought it was nicely played out. It has a flow to it that mends all the POVs together.

The characters were interesting. Particularly the murderer. He
Emily
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This was my first time reading anything by a German author and I must say that the translation was flawless. I really believe that nothing was lost in the translation and it has made me want to read more by authors of different languages.

I found 'The Strawberry Picker' in the young adult section in the library but, to me, it didn't read like it was intended for a younger audience and could imagine adults of all ages enjoying it.

I enjoyed the way that the narrative was told because even though t
Joanne
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenna has finally managed to establish an independent life from her famous mother, sharing a flat with her friends Caro and Merle. The three girls are very different but their friendship is genuine. When Caro is murdered by a serial killer, Jenna and Merle decide to track him down and bring him to justice. Jenna's mother, a renowned author who writes crime novels, is horrified by this resolution and tries to stop their investigation, with little success, while the inspector assigned to the case ...more
brigcs
Jul 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not a soul
Shelves: rc-2013
I don't even know what to say. This novel was a waste of time. When I was halfway through it I already regretted that I ever opened it. Have no idea how could I manage to get to the end.
The heroine is irritating and stupid like hell. The whole plot is boring and calculable.
The good part: the grandma. At least she's cool.
Based on the summary, I expected a so much better book.

Ez a könyv időpazarlás volt, kár volt egyáltalán kinyitni. A történet unalmas és végtelenül kiszámítható, a főhősnő pedig b
Lewes Library
Sep 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: staff-blog
I ordered this book because I read a review that touted it as Dexter for teens, and I can't tell you how many teens come into the library asking for suspense and horror books. Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree. The book alternates between the viewpoints of the killer and his victims, but it doesn't leave you rooting for the killer. This guy doesn't kill bad guys, but unsuspecting women. The reader, or at least I, felt absolutely no empathy for this guy.

I decided that if the book turned out to
Leah
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults/Adults into Crime Novels
Recommended to Leah by: The blurb attracted me
Shelves: favourites
An absolutely brilliant and thrilling read! I loved every moment and found it to be very well-written.

I read it a while ago and I can't quite remember the characters' names, but I remember it following the point of view from a woman, who later becomes a victim, and then switches to the point of view of a man who later turns out to be a serial-killer. I loved looking inside the mind of the murderer and to see how he excuses his actions. I had never read a book that showed that side before!

I loved
Liz
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, ya
Nat/Nate/Nathaniel was fascinating. Very well characterised. I mean, I understood his charm, and from the start the reader knows he is the murderer! This book is far more of a psychological study of two romances gone horribly wrong than a murder mystery, and very creepy.

Where Monika Feth fell down, though, and why I've given the book three stars rather than four, was her characterisation of Caro, a personality central to the book. It felt like everything she was was informed--all these sides of
Deepak
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book cover suggests that the reader may expect a suspense-thriller. However the murderer's identity has been revealed right at the outset. The reader only gets to know the manner in which he is captured.

About the storyline - the usual - psycho-killer who takes in innocent young girls as his victims, killing them in the most unconventional manner (as expected). The climax is dealt with by the author in a very dull manner, and one has drag oneself to the end of the book.

The psycho-killer's int
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I did not expect this book to be as good as it was... It was translated from German, which I thought would take away from the story... It did not, names were a bit strange, but that was it... This story was told through a bunch of different characters, adding new characters thoughts later in the book... The more intense the story got, the quicker point of views were changed... My only complaint was the text of the paperback format was very small and close together, I probably would have finished ...more
Jocelyn
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mao
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-novel
Slow moving story. I can't believe that nothing spectacular came up at the storyline. Maybe the synopsis should have not revealed more. In addition, Feth didn't elaborate on details why there's a 7 stab and hair cut short. She also constantly changes the point of view that I need to breathe longer to set my mind for another angle. I think it's better to change point of views with only 2 views per chapter. Imke Thalheim's character was well too built than Jenna or Merle. I almost felt that she's ...more
Nina
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When i started reading this thriller, I didn't know it was written for teenagers. Though, in the end, I didn't mind at all, because the only thing that indicated that during the read was the fact that the main character is a 18 year old girl. I really liked the writing style and the story was quite suspenseful although it was clear from the start who the murderer is. I also felt very touched by the emotions of the different characters and look forward reading more of Monika Feth.
Patricia
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This a translation of a title from Germany about older teen girls living together in an apartment & one of them is found dead, in the same manner as two other girls- there seems to be a serial killer on the loose! Her two roommates vow to find the killer, in spite of the risk, since he seems to be targeting girls of their age. Don't want to say more & spoil the story, quite suspenseful psychological fiction & a police procedural whodunnit. Liked the German setting- something a bit di ...more
Sophie
Nov 27, 2008 rated it liked it
A solid and entertaining YA adult thriller. A good job done on the translation as well.

Some character traits seemed to exist only to support the storyline though. A socially inept bad guy, who still manages to have so many girls fall head over heels with him?
Lore
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: disturbed-me
Thisa book was pretty good, at least what I remember of it, I think I really only have a recollection of it becuase of the fect that it got me writing poetry.

But still, not too badder book. Just not epic on the memorabile list.

Christina Katsifolis
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first ever crime fiction I ever read and it was the one that kept me into crime fiction. It tells the story from different perspectives and make the writing really effective. It is really well written and had my captivated until the very end leaving me uneasy.

• Sei lieb und büße
  • Der Sturm (Das Tal Season 1, #3)
  • Laienspiel (Kommissar Kluftinger, #4)
  • Whisper
  • Spiegelkind (Spiegelkind, #1)
  • Jung, blond, tot (Julia Durant, #1)
  • Stadt aus Trug und Schatten (Schattenwelt, #1)
  • Seide und Schwert (Wolkenvolk-Trilogie, #1)
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Stirb leise, mein Engel
  • Abby Lynn: Verraten und verfolgt (Abby Lynn, #3)
  • Garou (Sheep Detective Story, #2)
  • Bis ans Ende der Welt (Kyria & Reb, #1)
  • PinkMuffin@BerryBlue. Betreff: IrrLäufer (PinkMuffin@BerryBlue, #1)
  • Der Schock
  • Antonio im Wunderland
  • Die Totengräberin
  • Bad Blood
Ich wurde 1951 in Hagen in Westfalen geboren, einer Stadt zwischen Ruhrgebiet und Sauerland. Mit neunzehn bin ich nach Bonn gezogen und habe dort Germanistik und Anglistik studiert.

Bücher waren schon immer meine Leidenschaft, aber ich stamme aus einer Arbeiterfamilie (mein Vater war der erste, der an einem Schreibtisch arbeitete), in der Lesen als Luxus für reiche Leute galt. Deshalb habe ich mir

Jette Weingärtner (7 books)
  • Der Mädchenmaler (Jette Weingärtner #2)
  • Der Scherbensammler (Jette Weingärtner #3)
  • Der Schattengänger (Jette Weingärtner #4)
  • Der Sommerfänger (Jette Weingärtner #5)
  • Der Bilderwächter (Jette Weingärtner #6)
  • Der Libellenflüste​rer (Jette Weingärtner #7)