Start by marking “The Televisionary Oracle” as Want to Read:
The Televisionary Oracle

The Televisionary Oracle

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Millions of people already live their lives in accordance with Rob Brezsny's "Real Astrology" prophecies. But the time has come for a deeper dose of Brezsny's brain. The Televisionary Oracle is an archetypal roller-coaster that would make Rumi dizzy and leave Carl Jung gasping for breath.
Published March 1st 2000 by Frog Books

Miranda
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first tried to read this years ago and just couldn't get into it.
Then I let go of trying to understand it.
I want to eat it.
Julia
Jan 16, 2008 is currently reading it
I've been in the middle of reading this for several years
Michele Cacano
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book a whole heck of a lot more than I actually did. Nearly 500 pages of simultaneously grandiose and self-deprecating goddess worship and Bohemian musings. I can't swear that I wouldn't have liked this back when I was twenty-one or so, but, then again, I was twenty-one in the 1990s, which is an era that permeates this novel.

The chapters alternate between the stories and POVs of "Rockstar", a Dionysus-embodying singer/songwriter and head of a ritualistic performance art ri
Kelly
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Once I got over the preachiness, I rather enjoyed it. I reference it probably 2 times a week.... that's mark of a good book. Generally. Or a charismatic book at the very least. And this is that. It's worth reading, but the semi-autobiographical storyline of "Rockstar" is pretty much bullcrap.
Mel
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mel by: andy
definitely one of the strangest and smartest books i've ever read. i'm reading it again now - maybe when i'm done i will actually be able to write a review that will do this insane story justice...
Greg Knight
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like weird books
Very odd. Tom Robbins on six hits of acid and without the vocab. Might like it if you like books that try to fuzz the boundary between reality and fiction. See also the Illuminatus Trilogy.
Virditas
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a hard book to review. It is a sprawling megalomaniac, altruistic, generous book stuffed with sly wish-fulfilment, breathtaking prayers, brutal self-honesty, and transcendent passages. Then there are the moments when "more is more," and Brezeny's aesthetic of overwhelming imagery become almost a parody of the rich vein of beauty he channels. So the book is worth the reading...but I took this one in small doses. The generous spirit of the book is not overtaken by the raw mass of imagery, ...more
Damien
Jan 16, 2008 rated it liked it
An otherwise well-written book, Rob Brezny sometimes lets his ego intrude upon the zany characters and plot of The Televisionary Oracle. This is a real shame, because there's some good stuff in here. The main problem is that the two main characters spend a spectacular amount of time talking about themselves, and doing so in a generally positive and slightly narcissistic manner. This leaves a bad taste because there seems to be a certain autobiographical tint to the proceedings, which left me thi ...more
Misti
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: soul searchers, goddesses, flower children
There is so much I could say about this book. I read it back when I was 15 and was blown away by Brezsny's extraordinary prose and poetry. The book is a colorful interweaving of stories of our two protagonists learning to love and live in two worlds; the ordinary and the heaven-on-earth created by our own minds.

The book explores the intersting facets of charisma and love, escape and creation, and possibilities of everyday which often pass us by. Having recently read Paolo Coelho's The Witch of
Red Kempf
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Most (Adult)
What to say, what to say. This book is strange. Very strange, and I think quite marvelous. It follows two characters, Rockstar is our lead male, he gets the first and every third chapter. Repunzle is the female, the second and every thrid chapter after. Then the Televisionary Oracle speaks to the reader personaly. And that is where the fun is. Everything gets its own place, but is tied together in interesting twists and turns. This book is NOT for the weak hearted, it is long and takes getting u ...more
Ma'Belle
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me by an artist friend who was intrigued by my gender identity, expression, and body. She described The Televisionary Oracle as her "bible" and said she has read it over and over and purchased it for many friends, and that I had to go online and buy it for a few bucks. I did so the next day and am happy to say she was not exaggerating. Although it pretty consistently reinforces oppositional sexism and references "radical feminism" as if it's a good thing, I find myself ab ...more
Madeofmeat (Andy)
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well-written--various POVs, intricate scenes. Sociopolitical gestalts are dated (heavy PC-aware irony). This was lent to me by a neighbor, who drunkenly said, "It changed my life." This is the same guy who responded to my describing a local cat's one-eyedness by saying that he ate the missing eye. A little odd, but in a good way. So's the book.

Ultimately got too weird and uninteresting. Returned to neighbor unfinished.

Update: Discussed it with him a bit more. There are little chapters here and t
Charred
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too much period talk for my taste but what a breath of fresh air this book is! It speaks to me, I love how unusual the style is, cannot count the many times it had me trying to catch my breath because of its ravishing complexity. The future is NOW! This is teleporation in a book, I found myself in a schizophrenic world I didn't have the tools to fabricate in my imagination.

Would probably read again
Sergio Aldana
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on a fast moving coaster ride of such heights. Vividly rich, descriptive writing on multiple levels, sexually, spiritually, intellectually, etc.
This is the Super Nova that will kill today's ongoing Apocalypse.
Berrynana
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Why do I feel like this book is never ending? Like another reviewer, maybe I would have liked it when I was a teenager. Maybe.. I have my doubts. As interesting as the story seemed, I just didn't enjoy reading it.
Grainne Rhuad
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Immediately Smart and Insane this book takes one on a wild inner journey which makes you ask the question...have I done any good in the world...and also makes you wonder, how does a man know so much about the inner psyche of a woman. A marvelous book. A must read.
Jenn
I probably should have read this one in my late teens, early 20's....when I was a Tom Robbins fanatic. The jury's still out, but I can't seem to force myself to open the book again. As another reviewer said: "Tom Robbins without the vocabulary."
Rie
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the lovers, the dreams, and me
A thrilling tour de force with rocks shows as performance art and runaway goddesses killing the apocalypse.
Beth
Aug 23, 2007 added it
I read this YEARS ago and felt like it changed my life.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rob Brezsney and Pronoia is one of my favorite books of all time.
Lets see if 2nd time is a charm too!
Dov
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rob Brezsny seems to write a poetic narrative of my life, or one I live in dreams.
Wolfmother81
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Currently reading very good so far!
Anne Marie
Love it, but ya can't read too many pages in one sitting - try it & you'll understand! But awesome nonetheless
Niki Haworth
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Dense and odd, but beautifully written.
Helenafish
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun to read, and a good reminder to look behind the masks you see every day.
Aidinha Gaxiola
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Psychedelic and mildly erotic. Plus some of the best writing I've ever read about menstruation.
Catherine
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
As a teenager, I was a big fan Rob Brezsny. Once I became more widely read, I realized that his ideas had more pastiche than originality in them.
Charlie
The creator of "Real Astrology". 1 part spoof, 1 part mysticism, 1 part feminism, dressed up as junk fiction.
Jamil
  • Power
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
  • Right Where You Are Sitting Now
  • The Technopriests Book One: Initiation
  • Heaven's Bride: The Unprintable Life of Ida C. Craddock, American Mystic, Scholar, Sexologist, Martyr, and Madwoman
  • Breathturn
  • Flight Out of Time: A Dada Diary
  • The Automatic Message: The Magnetic Fields / The Immaculate Conception
  • The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • Nordic Runes: Understanding, Casting, and Interpreting the Ancient Viking Oracle
  • Goddess: Myths of the Female Divine

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“Most of us can manage no more than a narrow little obsession with a particular human who we mistakenly imagine can satisfy our gargantuan yearning for the real, primordial thing.” 7 likes
“Now try these Drivetime talismans on for size: organized chaos … wild discipline … reverent blasphemy … self-effacing grandiosity … fanatic moderation … selfish gifts … twisted calm … garish elegance … insane poise … ironic sincerity … blasphemous prayers … orgiastic lucidity … aggressive sensitivity … convoluted simplicity … macho feminism. Homework Discuss what is wetter than water, stronger than love, and more exotic than trust.” 1 likes