Start by marking “Illustration School: Let's Draw Happy People” as Want to Read:
Illustration School: Let's Draw Happy People

Illustration School: Let's Draw Happy People

(Illustration School)

Created by one of Japan’s most popular artists, this book provides detailed and complete instruction for illustrating fun and appealing characters and elements that celebrate life. The author’s special and distinct style is simple, appealing, happy, and cute and offers artists, crafters, and art enthusiasts—with and without experience—the instruction and inspiration to dra ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Quarry Books (first published September 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Illustration School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illustration School

Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
We recently started a family art/craft night to mix things up a bit. This is an attempt to combat all their school work that is done on the computer. Their handwriting! Goodness. They so rarely print much less write in cursive. Art? A thing of the past until middle or high school. So, the first night we started with this wonderful series Illustration School by Sachiko Umoto and Creative Lettering: Techniques & Tips from Top Artists to get things started. The simple drawings were perfect and ...more
loafingcactus
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
These books are so fantastically charming and have easy-to-follow instructions! I also got the animals books and the plants & small creatures book. Absolutely recommend!
Mycala
This book was just plain fun. I don't need help with drawing skills but it's entertaining to get ideas from other people, and the idea of drawing a person and then adding accessories and other elements was inspiring.
Fox Woods
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Great little book – I just wish it wasn't full of gender stereotypes (male doctor, female nurse, etc).
Rike @ RikeRandom
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele
Rezensionsexemplar, zur Verfügung gestellt vom Verlag im Austausch für eine ehrliche Rezension ♥

"Illustrieren: Lustige Leute von heute" sieht aus wie ein Kinderbuch zum Malenlernen und liest sich auch erst einmal so, denn auf den ersten Seiten gibt es "Lieder" nach denen man einen Jungen, ein Mädchen, einen Prinzen, eine Prinzessin und einen König zeichnet. Als Erwachsener kommt man sich da schnell etwas dämlich vor
Rachel Woodward
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute and easy how-to-draw book! My favorite part was the illustrations of different cultures in the back. Now I know the differences among traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese dress. The fairy tale section was also fun because, being written by a Japanese woman and originally published in Japan, it includes several story characters from Japanese folk-tales, like the Inch-High Samurai and Princess Kaguya. Actually, I love the Japanese perspective overall. The book has grea ...more
Refine Lubis
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
oh! we love this book so much. we actually collect this book. this book comes in a series. there are 4 books all together. we purchased the books from booksactually as it is not easy to find them in the book store. we love how sachiko umoto guide us along how to sketch. her drawing are super cute and easy to follow. the other 3 books are : let's draw plants and small creatures, let's draw magical color and cute animals. if your kids enjoy drawing, these books are a good start.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So cute, in so many ways!!! Love this! My children love this! Great book to start ideas rolling. I am not a fan of colouring in books or tracing books as they inhibit creativity, but this book is different. It just gives hints and tips to set you on your own 'doodling' journey. Sachiko's artwork is beautiful, and she manages to give simple drawn people wonderful personalities.
Pannita
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
To me, this style of human drawing is in between stickman and full figure drawing. It’s actually harder than it looks! I often use this book to help with my thumbnail sketch, so i get the sense of how the actual work will turn out. Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Willow Hoaglund
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super fun "how to draw animal" book with a twist! My more musical friend pointed out that there are little songs to guide the building of these little guys! And the designs are so smart! Addictive!!! ;)
Lotuslulu
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-a-roo
While this book is hardly something one might read, it i full of happy moments and opportunities.Everything is so clearly laid out and easy to follow that this is making a great additional to my art library.
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Such cute illustrations. I'm constantly drawing from it, I can't put it down.
Sri Ratna Wulan
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The illustration is really cute. I love this and will practice as soon as possible.
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought, artsy
Adorable.
Trish
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really fun book, and a nice reference for me. I like drawing cartoony, cute people, so this author/artist's style really suits me.
Stef
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
My least favorite of the Illustration School books, but this still had some gems in it. Good to use as a character reference when drawing.
Tif
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Her books are elegant, simple and absolutely lovely! I recommended all 3 of them to the girls in my art class.
Yogawithmoby

• Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • Bookshelf
  • The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Watercolor Impressions
  • One Drawing a Day: A 6-Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Tree and 44 Other Nifty Things from Nature: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • What Remains
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
  • 20 Ways to Draw a Cat and 44 Other Awesome Animals: A Sketchbook for Artists, Designers, and Doodlers
  • The ABCs of Journaling
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Yoga Wisdom and Practice
1970年生まれ。多摩美術大学油画科卒業。
イラストレーターとして活動するほか、ユニット・ウサギ王のアニメーターとして映像作品も手がける。犬とハワイをこよなく愛する。

Source: About Umoto Sachiko.

Illustration School (4 books)
  • Illustration School:  Let's Draw Cute Animals