Start by marking “A Bride for a Bit” as Want to Read:

From carriage to marriage / Janelle Burnham Schneider
From pride to bride / JoAnn A. Grote
From alarming to charming / Pamela Kaye Tracy

Published June 1st 2003 by Barbour Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Bride for a Bit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride for a Bit

Julianna
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Inspirational Romance on the American Frontier
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Overall
From Halter to Altar by Cathy Marie Hake - From Halter to Altar was a charming, sweet romance that was a great start to this quartet of interconnected inspirational novellas. It gives us an introduction to the four Craig sisters, each of whom will get her HEA in one of the stories. IMO, Cathy Marie Hake did a great job of setting up the overall story arc and acquainting the reader with each of the sisters and the circumstances that brought them west t
Sara ♥
I really enjoyed these 4 little stories. They worked really well together to make 1 cohesive overall story. They were all very cute.

I liked the first story the best, I think: "From Halter to Alter" by Cathy Marie Hake. Matty and James were great characters. I liked that they were both attracted to each other from the moment they saw one another and how Matty was driving James crazy being SUPER NICE to all the men in town... Haha!

The second story, "From Carriage to Marriage" by Janelle Burnham S
Judy
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
6/27/2010- Read the 1st story by Cathy Marie Hake - From Halter to Altar.

A nice short easy to read story.

This book is 4 stories of 4 women who were sent from Rhode Island to Wyoming by their wiley brother in law who answered a add where James Collingswood asked for bridles and was sent brides.

This story is of James and Matilda.
6/28/2010
From Carriage to Marriage is the 2nd story by Janelle Burnham Schneider
Corrie was a widow and came to Lickwind, Wyoming pregnant. She is Matilda's twin sister. L
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
This is a 4-1 christian historical romance. If you do not enjoy reading about faith, God's love, and people finding their way, this is not a book for you. It contains four short novellas (about 100 pages each). The characters remain the same through each novella.

The scenario for this book is that four sister were shipped to Wyoming by their evil brother-in-law as a trick. He was supposed to send bridles for horses instead he sent brides. No on in Lickwind Wymoing was married, mostly men who wor
Jody
A man places an order for bridles for his horse ranch and ends up receiving 4 mail-order brides instead. Through all the crazy events, eventually all things fall into place. LOTS of new additions in the end.
Anna
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is one I keep as a quick read. Written by 4 authors, is starts with 4 New England sisters stepping off a train in a small Wyoming town. Each novella is centered around a different sister. Cathy Marie Hake is amazing.
Anna
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading these stories, I did not think I would like it when I first started reading(But I did). I also enjoyed them separating each of the girls stories, I don't think it would have turned out as well if it had been just one story.
Lindsay
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really sweet collection of romances. Nice, easy reads.
Aerykah
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A pretty good quick, light read.
Rae
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine
So if I could I would give it a 4.5 star. All of the stories where super adorable and went so well together. Some of the authors I haven’t read before and plan to look up. But some of the characters weren’t super developed. It maybe because it was a collection of novellas. But really I loved the stories. I read the entire book in one night, even if I shouldn’t have. It was just a very enjoyable read!
Gmc
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bride for a Bit From Halter to Altar / From Carriage to Marriage / From Pride to Bride / From
Alarming to Charming

Four linked stories of for sisters. Misreading an order for bridles, a New England farmer sends his four sisters-in-law as mail-order brides to Lickwind, Wyoming. When the four women step off the train, astonishment turns to mayhem as the men of the town suddenly spruce up and make time for courting.

"From Halter to Alter" by Cathy Marie Hake.
Since James Collingswood--still without t
Clare
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
After reading some heavy prose I was definitely in the mood for something light and this book delivered just that. These stories, each written by a different author, are about four sisters who went to Wyoming territory in the 1800s to be mail order brides. This decision was not theirs but their brother-in-law's so they were not ready to just jump into marriage. With a bit of humor their stories unfold in a tender way. Matty, Corrie, Bess and Bertie look after one another and, one by one, find lo ...more
Jodi
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read anything with cowboys in them. I can read anything from closed door , sweet, and blazing hot. This book was a Inspirational romance and I loved the first two stories the most. I will be looking up these authors soon.
Kylie
So I stole this book from my grandma over ten years ago and found it right before I came to visit her so decided to reread it before giving it back. I upped the star because it was cutesier than I remembered.
Tausha
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, cute read. A couple of the stories felt rushed but I loved the sisters. They were so fun and so different. It was fun to read each of their stories and how they found their happily ever after. :)
Denise Lyon
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
It had for writers that wrote this book and they each wrote about one of the brides. So, I just liked the first story that was written by Cathy Marie Hake and Pamela Kaye Tracy. The stories were more interesting.
Michelle Lunsford
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read of four novellas, each with a commonality of the bride being a sister from the same family. The characters were engaging, the narratives interesting, but some of the authors handled the romance a bit more to my liking that others. Of the four, the first tale was my favorite.
Rexiena
Fun book about 4 sisters and their adventures after their brother in law responds to an advertisement for bridles.
Cori
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i loved it!
Kiera Beddes
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Four sisters come to a little town in the West due to a mixup in bridles versus brides. Each sister gets her own HEA and the town cleans up and behaves a little better as a result.
Tami
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
took from the library, and glad i did. would not read again or get my own copy.
Abbie
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite book ever!!!!
Casie
Aug 15, 2017
Keli Little
Aug 18, 2016
Mom
rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2013

• California Chances (California Chances, #1-3)
  • Virginia
  • Heirloom Brides: Button String Bride / Wedding Quilt Bride / Bayside Bride / Persistent Bride
  • Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love
  • A Stitch in Time: No Man's Land Blossoms with Love in Four Novellas
  • Kansas Brides (Kansas Brides, #1-4)
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family / Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • Colorado
  • Finally a Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #3)
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Wyoming: Four Novels of Love in Frontier Forts (Wyoming #1-4)
  • Dakota: Four Inspirational Love Stories in America's Final Frontier
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)
  • New Mexico Sunrise: Faith and Love Hold Generations Together in Four Complete Novels
  • Cowboy Christmas (Wild West Weddings, #1)
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Spring for Susannah
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
JOANN GROTE lives in Minnesota, where she grew up. She uses the state for most of her story settings, and like her characters, JoAnn seeks to serve Christ in her work. She believes that readers of novels can receive a message of salvation and encouragement from well-crafted fiction. She has over 35 books to her credit, including novels, "The American Adventure" series for children, and the "Hearts ...more