Start by marking “Erebus” as Want to Read:
Erebus

Erebus

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  493 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Something is terribly wrong in Wakely. The townspeople's fingernails are abnormally long, and their faces are pale and gaunt. Some have noticed the growth of their canine teeth. At first they were terrified, but their terror turns to glee as they transform into beasts with a craving for human flesh.
Published May 1st 1992 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Erebus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Erebus

Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
I notice a few readers find this author a bit hit and miss which is a shame because this guy tells a great story. Yes it may not be as in depth as other books are but so what. You get a quick, balls to the wall book, this guy is not afraid to spill the gore and violence! Like I said in a status update, it's like reading your own horror movie. NOTE - there are scenes of gore and violence involving animals and even a baby so if easily offended don't read.
Ollie
Nov 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
In the small English village of Wakely, something terrible is happening to the livestock: they are growing disproportionaly large and attacking every creature in sight. Could it have something to do with the new feed provided by local creepy multinational Venderburg Chemicals? And shouldn't people stop eating meat since bizarre things are happening to the animals? Since this is a horror novel, you can guess the answer to those questions. Before you've reached page 10, you know all the vegetarian ...more
Jason
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. One of my favourite Shaun Hutson's. I really liked his early stuff and I wish he would revisit some of his earlier work with sequels.
Dreadlocksmile
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I actually thought that this book was a very good novel. Obviously we're still talking about a Hutson novel here, so don't expect an outstanding stardard of writing or an incredibly complex and intelligent plot, but do expect the usual blood, gore and horror along with the hot firery liquid burning down 'his' throat and knots of muscles tighting in characters jaws...as you would expect from evey Hutson novel. I think the reason I particularly like this one is because you can tell that he really ...more
Jack Pyke
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Oh wow, this one's going back a while. Erebus was the first horror novel I ever read. I loved it for its British setting and how it introduced the whole horror genre itself.

Erebus itself comes in before Mad Cow Disease was known, and yep, nowadays it would be considered a trope (contaminated food being eaten = people going psychotic), but back when I picked it up, it was just such a spine-tingling read. I never really lost that feeling over the years.

Shaun Hutson's writing has just grown so beau
Luke Walker
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining slice of 80s horror complete with OTT violence and graphic sex. Yes, it's not the best written book in the world but it is a page-turner. I particularly dig the cheesy cover.
Sourabh Das
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
so so horror thriller by hutson...
DJMikeG
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
A good, not great little horror novel. This was my first experience with Shaun Hutson, and I must say, I like his style. He writes in a very simple style and focuses mainly on action and gore. This is strictly pulp horror, with no literary aspirations. On that level, it was good. He doesn't have the insane plotting or deeply disturbing aspects that a Richard Laymon has. He doesn't have the crazy inventiveness of an Edward Lee, but still, he writes fun, easy to read gory horror. This book would m ...more
Jamie
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one was a fun reading experience. While not great literature it was blessedly mindless in that one didn't have to worry about the story progression. As a reader sometimes its enough to sit back and enjoy the ride and I did with this book.

From the back cover:
Wakely was a small, farming community, a mere flyspeck on the map. But there was something terribly wrong there, something wrong with the people. They were pale and gaunt, many had abnormally long fingernails and some had noticed an enla
Dale
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Experimental animal feed mutates animals in a small English town, turning them into killers. Likewise to the townspeople that eat the meat. A farmer and American reporter try to dig up the truth, while the evil chemical plant owner, who for some reason commands the British military, try to contain and cover up the incident.

The book is strongest at the beginning, with regular animal attacks leading up to human atrocities. It suffers when it tries to have a plot, provide scientific explanations, a
Stephen
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of old rubbish. Seriously.
I can be quite fond of what some might regard as very silly books (I love James Herbert by way of comparison). But this is something else entirely.
Without giving away part of the story (as I honestly wouldn't want to spoil any book for anyone who may enjoy it, even this one) this book is somehow made worse for me by the supposed 'science' quoted to reinforce a plot(!) point. From start to finish this book is riddled with plot holes, inconsistencies and clich
Elso
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something quiet tranquil while travelling through the country side. Thoughts of escaping the city life, enjoying the endless views of lush green pastures, dreams of one day owning a property of your own. It's not until you notice the hundreds of animals with their heads in the feed troughs you begin to think something is not quiet right. What are these animals eating? Gluten Free?
After reading Erebus you may never eat meat again.....
Simon Woodward
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the first Shaun Hutson I ever read and although a horror fan I'd not come across anything like this, but this was 25 years ago. Suffice it to say I sought out every Shaun Hutson I could get my hands on. I'll never forget this book. It was an easy read and a wonderful gore-fest probably worthy of its own horror sub-genre.
Stacey-Rose
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Mark
Feb 04, 2016 added it
Shaun Hutson at his best....pure horror..
Gingernuts73
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first Hutson book I ever read - its got everything in it. The ending is marvelous!
Mrs H C Grey
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Shaun Hutson books. Think I've read all of them now.
Erik
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
also one of the early horror classics by Hutson.
Stephen Theaker
  • Portent
  • Tengu
  • The New Neighbor
  • Spectre
British horror novelist, including horror and urban thriller novels.

His novella "Slugs" was made into a movie, although Hutson didn`t like the movie. He also appeared in two horror movies himself.

Hutson is a Liverpool F.C. fan.

More about Shaun Hutson...