Start by marking “Slugs (Slugs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slugs (Slugs, #1)

Slugs (Slugs #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,843 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
They slime, they ooze, they kill..... a novel of mid shattering horror, and a new breed of slime ridden, oozing slugs lurking in the waist-high grass, developing a taste for new things..... for blood, for flesh.. human flesh! (fic)
Published 1988 by Warner (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Slugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slugs

Edward Lorn
Oct 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can't eat steak all the time. Sometimes, you want a plate of ribs. Shit, sometimes you want a Slim Jim, or, Tom Cruise forbid, a can of SPAM. Well, this plate of meat has gone over some time ago and is crawling with maggots and rot. It's bad, and not even in a TROLL 2 so-bad-it's-fun-to-watch-while-you're-high-on-crank bad either. Slugs treats its readers like idiots. I know I feel like a moron for finishing it. But can you blame me for wanting a can of SPAM between sirloins?

Slugs is an abso
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
There are a couple of horror authors that I never got around to reading. One of these is Shaun Hutson, and the other is Richard Laymon. I’ve remedied the Hutson omission here with Slugs, and I will be trying a Laymon book later in the year. Slugs is described as “The classic horror story from the Godfather of Gore”…Wow! I was expecting big things. Sadly, the book never got close to being “classic” in my opinion. It is kind of fun, but ultimately forgettable.

Sometimes you have a pretty good idea
Andrew Lennon
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I fell out of routine a bit so it took me ages getting through it, but I'm glad that I stuck with it because it was well worth it.
The story itself was very good. The concept, oh god. The whole thought of the slugs.....
My skin was crawling the entire time I was reading!
Definitely worth checking out.
Highly recommend.
Rebecca McNutt
description
This book was more comedic than scary, but it was still a good story and the writing style reminded me of a black-and-white B-movie.
Jason
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid I stole this book from my uncle and read it in one sitting, scared the crap out of me. It didn't teach me lesson though cos I then stole his VHS of The Thing and that gave me nightmares for weeks. :)

Not sure how well this book would work today, ya gotta have a fear of slimy things to appreciate it, no fear and you'll probably find this a dull read. Shaun Huston's writing style makes it easy to read and the book is short so give this one a go.
Nick Sheridan
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
My longer review of this book is posted at CrapLookingBooks.com

This Garth Marenghi-esque novel as good as leapt (or slithered) into my hands, and not because it's particularly crap looking- it isn't. You've got the uncomfortably fetishised human mouth, a slug causing some rather gross wounding, and the title that lets you know upfront exactly what the book is all about.

Slugs definitely treats the reader to a constant procession of unrelated and unlikeable characters who either meet a sticky end
Ignacio Senao f
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lectura rápida, adictiva, directa y fácil de seguir. Si John Carpenter escribiera un libro, sería muy parecido a este.
Babosas asesinas, con dientes y una longitud impropia. ¡Tapemos todos los agujeros de casa para que no entren!
Frau Blücher
Back to the 80s mit menschenfressenden Killersalatschnecken, inhaltlich und stilistisch schlicht aber sehr sehr blutig und schön schräg unterhaltsam. Im Prinzip der Weiße Hai mit Glibbermonstern, dafür ohne jeden Anflug von Niveau. Ab und zu darf das schon mal sein.
Mike
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slugs!!!

A great creature feature. My first Shaun Hutson book to read, and I loved it! Just follow the slimy trails for a creepy crawly good time full of B Movie type terror
Tim
Oct 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, reviewed, 1980s
This is one of those books that, depending on how I rated, it could go anywhere on the five star spectrum. It's ridiculously bad, but at the same time, so over the top and silly that I enjoyed myself the entire time. I could give it a 5 based on pure entertainment, but based on some of the more dreadful aspects, I would find it quite difficult to live with myself afterwards.

This is a book about killer slugs. Not only are they killer slugs that are larger than average, but seemed to have acquire
Jen
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
1. Gross out horror - meh.
2. Why did they never try salt?
3. Antibiotics don't work for a virus.
Graham
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, monster
Marsten
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Este libro me ha gustado bastante aún reconociendo que es un libro sin muchas pretensiones más allá de hacerte pasar un buen rato. Y eso, os asseguro, que lo consigue.

El autor, Shaun Hutson, tiene un estilo directo, sin florituras, ágil, ameno. Prima la acción y los diálogos por encima de las descripciones y el desarrollo de los personajes. Totalmente en línea con el ritmo constante y la ligereza de la trama.
La historia es original aunque poco creíble por lo que respecta a la voracidad, rapidez
Dreadlocksmile
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First published way back in 1982, this was one of Hutson's very early offerings to the splatterpunk genre. It has become one of his most well-known novels and was even made into a film in 1987. The plot is simple and classic - giant slugs with a taste for human flesh go on a rampage. The usual sprinkling of cliched characters with a gore-packed storyline that races through from start to finish. The simplicity is the key to the novel, and Hutson has produced a great one here. It is enjoyable and ...more
Jennifer Thomson
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The master of horror, Hutson's books are all about entertainment. Who gives a stuff if there's zero characterisation and he doesn't take 2 pages to describe one tree?

After reading this you will never look at slugs the same way again.
Sasha Jackson
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this in a charity shop for 10p, read it, and most of the other shaun hutson novels corny horror, but a qiick undemanding read, was good for me during my horror phase, but badly written shit, hutson always amuses but. it always the ways he intends.
Keso Shengelia
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
They slime, they ooze, they kill...
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Good book. Again, with Hutson, plenty of gore to sink your teeth into.
Matt
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything about this book seems wrong, and that's why everyone reads it, right? 'A horror novel about slugs? How can that be?' And, of course, I had to read it because I had to see how it was done. It's fairly obvious that Shaun Hutson asked himself: "how do I make something as mundane as slugs scary?" And then the question remains for readers: Was Hutson successful?

And he was. Review over, essentially. If you want to read a creepy book about blood-thirsty slugs … well, here you go.

Hutson mad
Nigel
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Classic gory horror story involving extreme animals who develop a taste for attacking the resident human population. In this case Hutson has chosen the humble slug as the evil villain of the piece. Our hero in the battle against the slimy wee beastie is the local council health inspector who along with the local museum curator are the only two people who are beginning to understand that the spate of recent strange deaths should be laid squarely at the door of the humble slug.
Realising that the
Pietro
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ah, 80s schlock horror...
This is a book I've seen on library and bookshop shelves for decades but never picked up because the premise seemed so basically ridiculous.
Seeing it 2nd hand, I figured I'd give it a go.
An almost by-numbers 80s horror story with all the characters, cliches and dialogue you'd expect. Yes, there were one or two gruesome moments - one in particular that had me, a 40 year old man, crossing his legs and thinking, "Bbbbbbbejaysus, no!" - but on the whole, meh. Read worse, rea
Peter
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I really loved this nasty up to the point horror story on slugs. Reading the book is like watching a movie. You can see every details and can't put down the book until you have it finished. Fantastic find from the 80s, my first book from this author and a clear recommendation! I definitely haven't read the last book by Shaun Hutson!
Luke Allen
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Objectively terrible: the writing is as bad as anything I've ever read, so bad that you suspect that the author is taking the piss at times. However, I'm a sucker for monster-of-the-week horror, even if this is a poor example. Man eating slugs: it is what it is.
Dave Abbott
A forgettable horror. not very well written and each chapter is effectively the same.

e.g. character is introduced, has sex, gets killed by slugs

Given that that is what happens one would think it would at least be funny or something but it was just boring.
Kirstin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
So bad it's good.
Andrew Garvey
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Full review coming soon(ish) at www.spookyisles.com
Evan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and fun. Shun Hutson never disappoints. Recommended.
Christopher Law
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
cf. Relics. I'm not ashamed!
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/slugs-de-sh...

Mi defensa a ultranza de la literatura de género siempre da sus frutos.
A veces, es necesario olvidarse de lecturas sesudas y disfrutar, como un niño, de libros como este.
No me digáis que no es encantador conocer a un autor al que llaman “El Padrino del gore” o, mejor aún, “el Shakespeare del gore”. Pues en efecto, es el caso del británico Shaun Hutson, al que solo conocía por “El enigma de las palabras muertas” que, por otra parte, no me parec
Andrew
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
My first memory of Slugs was as a child at the local video store. I would always gaze in wonderment at the shelves of forbidden horror movies, equally scared and excited by looking at the covers, my imagination running wild wondering what lay within. Seeing the Slugs VHS cover was particularly harrowing. It wasn’t until years later that I actually tracked down the book that the VHS was based on. By all accounts, the movie was fairly poor and could not live up to the book it was based on. There i ...more
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • Sea Change
  • The Faceless
  • The Light at the End
  • From a Poison Pen
British horror novelist, including horror and urban thriller novels.

His novella Slugs was made into a movie, although Hutson didn't like the movie. He also appeared in two horror movies himself.

Hutson is a Liverpool F.C. fan.
More about Shaun Hutson

Slugs (2 books)
  • Breeding Ground (Slugs, #2)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The noise made Kim want to cover her ears, reminding her, as it did, of diarhoettic excretion.” 3 likes