Start by marking “Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1)” as Want to Read:
Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1)

Space Junque (Apocalypto #1)

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  700 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
(also known as Samael's Fire)

The DOGs want to destroy the world. The gods want to make a new one. The trick is to survive both.

At the end of the 21st century, civilization is at the brink of collapse. When hydroponics agronomist Char Meadowlark is warned of an impending attack by the eco-terrorist group Defenders of Gaia, she flees to the airport hoping to get off planet.
Published September 2nd 2010 by Beastie Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Space Junque, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Junque

Christina
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I usually do not read novellas because I run into the problem I did with Space Junque......the story was GREAT and I didn't want it to end!

This adventure/romance story and it's characters pull you in quickly and won't let go. I will be recommending this book and and all of L.K.Rigel works to my Book Worms group.

I can't wait to pick up Spiderwork!!!!
Sobia
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
this is gonna be pretty short, because I just don't really know what to say...

This was the weirdest story I've read in ages...it starts up as a pretty decent SFR with the majority(90%) of the story coming from the heroine's  perspective ,  with imperial forces, nuclear weapons, mysteries,  space ships ( yay!) an alright heroine, a better hero, and a pretty decent if a bit vague story....then some god like character gets introduced and everything goes to hell...a really weird hell. I'm not even s
Eliza Baum
This book was weird. There were tons of characters, lots of acronyms to learn, and a plot that went by at almost whiplash speed.

And yet, somehow, I still really, really enjoyed it.

I picked this up awhile ago. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but the cover art on its sequel, Spiderwork, drew me in. (Yeah, sad, I know. But it's the truth.) Today I was looking for a shorter read (this is a novella), so I decided to finally give it a try.

And yeah. Wow. It's actually difficult for me to express in words
Kate Ellison
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Original and gripping sci fi read... although it was pretty short, novella-length, and I found myself gasping in shock when it ended because it was SO GOOD and I didn't want it to stop. The latter half of the story did take a turn I was NOT expecting, although I won't spoil anyone with what that turn was.
Stella
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, 2010, sci-fi
Sci-fi is still a new genre to me so I try to easy myself gently into it. Space Junque is a short sci-fi romance novella, which despite its length constrictions managed to excel on several levels.

I found the science fiction aspect of the story engaging, the unique world created by L.K. Rigel is exciting and original, without being overwhelming even for sci-fi newbies like me. L.K. Rigel created a different society, another species and a specific hierarchy but despite all the new and extraordinar
Lyndi
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I gave this book 3 stars when I first read it a couple years ago. After rereading it just now, I have to say it only deserves 2 stars. And I'm not even sure about going that far.

Space Junque is the first part of the Apocalypto series. And I use the word "part" because it's not really a complete story. You're obviously supposed to read the next 2 books if you want to understand what the hell is going on. The only thing you can really take away from it is "not everyone dies"... And that's about it
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Char Meadowlark is being rushed up to the Imperial Space Station by her friend Mike to avoid a pending eco-terrorist attack. Unfortunately, her timing is a bit off, and the attack occurs while she is at the airport. Saved by Jake, the pilot of the Space Junque, he flies her to her destination. Amidst the terrorist attacks, ancient gods appear to take control. Will Char survive the attacks, an encounter with the newly emerged goddess and the two men suddenly competing for her attention?

This is a
Stacey
Loved this novelette. The writing is pretty tight, and it's an interesting story of near-future eco-disaster, eco-terrorism, and space adventure. Woven through the story is a small romance. There's a lot of good story here, and I wish it had been developed more slowly, fleshing out some of the background, such as the Defenders of Gaia, the Talibanos Unidos, and the various orbiting stations. It's almost as if this story is written as an interlude (one can hope?) Clearly, the other unexplained el ...more
Kim
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just read Space Junque for the second (third!) time. I loved it the second time around just as much as the first. There was a lot of politics, back story, and plot in a relatively short amount of space, but L.K. Rigel kept it interesting and flowing. There were a few paragraphs I had to read twice, wondering if I'd missed something, but with all the info contained in those pages I feel that is to be expected. I thought the characters had depth, and were utterly believable. Overall, a great story ...more
Lindsay
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fun adventure story, a little space opera, a little post-apocalyptic earth, a little romance, and lots of action. It's a novella so not a long read, but offers a good introduction to the author's work. I look forward to seeing more!
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Space Junque" by L K Rigel 1 1 Feb 08, 2014 11:06AM
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Lord Demon's Delight (Demons of Dunmore, #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • Rebellion: The Outer Territory (Day of Sacrifice, #2)
  • A Turn of Curses
  • The Plantation (The Plantation, #1)
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Sky Hunter (The Targon Tales #0.5)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • A Touch of Night
  • Blood in the Marsh
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • Out of Time  (Out of Time, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
LK Rigel is the author of the Apocalypto series:
Space Junque, Spiderwork, and Firebird; and the Wyrd and Fae series: Give Me, Bride of Fae, Fever Mist, and A Glimmering Girl.

Her My Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre Retold) a retelling of the Gothic novel set in a future utopia.

Her short story Slurp is included in Deadly Treats, an anthology edited by Anne Frasier from Nodin Press. Rigel's writing has also
More about L.K. Rigel...

Apocalypto (4 books)
  • Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2)
  • Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)
  • Apocalypto: Omnibus (Apocalypto, #1-3)