Start by marking “Miss Spider's Tea Party” as Want to Read:
Miss Spider's Tea Party

Miss Spider's Tea Party

(Miss Spider)

The modern classic about a sweet spider and her friends is now available for the first time in a Scholastic Bookshelf paperback version

"Miss Spider can't understand why insects flee in panic at her approach. Being a florivore herself, she only wants to invite them over for cakes and tea. The ironic air wafting through Kirk's rhymed tale will not be lost on young readers, a
Published February 1st 2007 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 1994)

Kathryn
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: bug fans, those seeking counting boks
I liked this better than the original "Miss Spider" story but I doubt I will continue the series. Despite the tea party theme (I do so love tea parties!), I just was not captivated. I am sure David Kirk's vibrant, fun illustrations will appeal to many, they just are not my cup of tea (no pun intended). Still, this is a nice counting book (up to twelve) and presents a good message about not being afraid of someone simply based on appearances or preconceived notions.
Kristi
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: harper-read
I liked the bright illustrations, but the girl had a hard time sitting still for the entire thing. I thought she would like counting the bugs. Maybe we'll try this one again when she's older.
Caren Nelson
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We LOVE this childrens book! The story is a charming parable for our time--don't judge a book by it's cover. Miss Spider just wants to have tea with friends, but everyone assumes she wants to EAT them with her tea! The pages are gorgeous (including the way the paper feels, I know, I'm weird) and the illustrations are vibrant and just a little quirky. I love the poetry of the story as well. One kids book I could read a million times and I still love it just as much!
Mary
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
It seems no one wants to be invited to Miss Spider's Tea Party, after all, what self-respecting insect could hope to escape alive? Yet, Miss Spider persists in her invitation throughout this fun Memorable Animal tale. The colorful, full page, illustrations are coupled with rhyming text. The variety of characters, a different number of each on every succeeding page, surely speak in different voices making this picture book ideal for storytime. Children will enjoy finding and counting out the diff ...more
RC
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Miss Spider's Tea Party is a clever tale of spider who only wants to invite some fellow bugs over for tea. However, the bugs are cautious - thinking they will be caught in Miss Spider's web and eaten. Colorful illustrations reveal that Miss Spider might not be what they believe. Children will enjoying counting the bugs throughout the story.
Eagle Heights2
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
You will like Miss Spider's Tea Party because of the illustrations at the end. My favorite detail is the how they are friends and they will always be together. If you like bugs you will like this book. Ella
Julie Grasso
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thought this was delightful and the 3.5 year old also loved it. The illustrations alone are wonderful and the rhyme is great. Recommend
Miri
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Miss Spider wants to have a tea party but all the bugs are afraid of her.
Kristin Fisher
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Such a fun book about forming friendships and being nice to one another. Every line ends with a word that rhymes with the previous sentence and is very well written. Children can also learn or work on how to count from one to twelve in the story. Each illustration is very bright, colorful, and fun. This book will draw children young and old in and will keep their interest throughout the story as they will be interested to see how it ends.
Erin Taylor
This was one of my favorite childhood books! I am personally not a big fan of spiders but this book has a great story line which will encourage children to not judge a book by its cover. I would read this book to children ages from 4-6 year old's because this book shows different emotions from each character.
Jenese Wilson
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 30-own-choice
I loved reading this series when I was little! I even would watch the tv show. This book is great because it's about a story on how everyone is not always who they may appear to be. The bugs had judged Miss Spider and would avoid her because they thought she was scary, but they soon came to learn that she was sweet and meant no harm.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Jessica
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because it's Miss Spider's 25th b-day and attention must be paid. I paid a pretty penny and hoped to have something special for her birthday.

Nope. Just the little logo on the cover. No note from the author no nothing. I have a disappoint.

Stick with your old copy.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun rhyming, counting numbers picture book with bright illustrations.

Miss Spider just wants to have tea with bugs, who are scared of her (of course!) There's a happy ending.

It is a tad on the long side, so it's good for preschoolers who can sit through longer stories.
Lauren  Riviere
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-class
Great artwork but I didn't enjoy the story. A spider who just wants friends and everyone ignores her and hurts her feelings until one person learns that shes nice. Good if children in my class are being mean to one particular child.
R.M. Donaldson
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always loved this book as a kid. The poor Miss Spider just wants to have friends to share tea with and in the end as she helps her friends, they realize she isn't so bad and they have a great time. A book about not judging and loving all no matter their looks or 'kind'.
Mely
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute and colorful. A fun book of numbers. The rhyming text is easy to read and has a nice rhythm. Great read aloud book.
Ame
I admit there's something wrong with me, because I was hoping for a twist where Miss Spider eats all the bugs who have grown to trust her.
Farhana
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Here is another interesting read that I found. David Kirk writes about a spider who wants to have tea with someone and is looking to make some friends. The book introduces a spider who is comfortably brewing up some tea and looking outside of her web to see if she could enjoy this with new friends. The reason why I enjoyed this book is because it had a lovely rhyme to it which made the pace of the book quite fast and I was able to see the story develop. The story continues by portraying the spid ...more
Alicia Rotter
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Miss Spider just wants to have some tea with her and, given the reputation of spiders, none of the other insects want to join her. One rainy day, a moth with wet wings comes by Miss Spider's home and is graciously brought back to health. He spreads the good news to his bug friends and they all join Miss Spider for tea to happily find out she eats flowers only and not little insects like them. This book is a fun reminder to get to know those around you. Also, to stay positive when those around yo ...more
Margaret Chind
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade
"Miss Spider's Tea Party" was the first book selection in Week 1 for Memoria Press First Grade's Enrichment Literature list. First my budding reader (AppleBlossom is five years and 11 days old) flipped through and looked at the pictures and asked why Miss Spider looked sad. We discussed how reading the words would let us know why. So we read, and we counted, we rhymed, and we discussed. I do enjoy the vibrant illustrations, and I loved reading about how David Kirk went from toy store entrepreneu ...more
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, spider
We got this book as a birthday present when my son Sasha turned five. It has been a favorite of ours ever since and we have read it many times though the years. Twice it has been saved at the last minute from the "to get rid of" pile from my husband!

The book was written and drawn by the same person: David Kirk.

I love the illustrations which are oil on paper and have a zany twist as if they were spray painted on with a three dimensional roundness quality because some things are in better focus t
Walida
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The pictures are vibrant and beautiful. The text in this book lends itself to a dramatic reading experience. The vocabulary is easy enough to understand for Preschoolers. There is a counting element incorporated into the text. It teaches children about sharing, kindness, and friendship, and promotes social and emotional development. I recommend this book for all class rooms.

LE/extensions: Reading Time

Read the story aloud remembering to use your best “spidery” voice! . Read it through without sto
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the story, a spider discovers the challenge of making a friend. This lonely spider decides if she had friends, she would serve them cake and tea. As Miss Spider searches to find guests for her special tea party, she finds that her good intentions are not understood by her peers. Beetles, fireflies and bumblebees were all invited to the party, although they didn't feel they'd care to be a spider's meal. After many rejections, one tiny rain drenched moth will give Miss Spider a chance.

The colo
Olivia
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

Miss Spider's Tea Party is a book about different insects coming to a tea party hosted by a very friendly lady spider.
The book has bright and colourful illustrations of different types of insects. The book uses counting and maths, the insects start with one and increase each time (1 spider, 2 beetles, 3 fireflies)
The book could be used for science as it identifies different insects.
The story teaches moral values that we should not judge others by appearance and reputation and that we should ma
Nyna
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Miss Spider’s Tea Party. I know it is a counting book, but I always thought the numbers just made it flow better. The flow breaks for the little moth, but it is an important development in the story, and I don’t think the story is just for counting. The numbers seem to mean too little for that to be true. I also like the color choices in the pictures. Everything to do with Miss Spider is bright and cheery, while everything to do with the bugs that won’t have tea with her is a darker color ...more
Jayme Taylor
In this story Miss Spider hosts a tea party in hopes of making friends. No other bugs want to attend miss spiders tea party, because they are afraid of being eaten. However when the other bugs learn of Miss spiders kind actions, they decide to attend her tea party after all.

This E-book is a great read for children. It teaches a good lesson about friendship, and kindness. There is an interactive app additional to the book, which serves as a resource for children. The illustrations which are disp
Maria Armenta
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Miss Spider and Holley explore other car lots (including Meg's Wings n' Things) and encounter a few near misses, but all ends well thanks to the help of benevolent Moth Sue.
The book's clever and original verse is laced with subtle ironies that won't be lost on you or your little ones; in the first spread, for example, a note arrives "snail mail," because the postal carrier is a snail.
It presents softly the mystery of attraction, devotion and pairing between individuals who from outward appeara
Tracey Melcher
Poor Miss Spider only wants to have a lovely tea party with the other insects, but, although she eats only flowers, she cannot convince any of them to join her. However, after showing kindness to a troubled moth (and not her desire to eat him) Miss Spider finally enjoys the tea party she has always wanted with her many new friends. Miss Spider’s Tea Party, told in the form of a narrative poem, is a great introduction to rhyming verse as well as number concepts from one to twelve. Kirk uses rich ...more
Ashley Stone
This book is about Miss Spider attempting to make friends with other insects in her area. But since she’s a spider, everyone is afraid of her. Miss Spider offers them all cake and tea but they all run or fly away in fear. Eventually, a moth who can’t fly because of his wet wings has no choice but to stay and after realizing Miss Spider is harmless, he goes back to tell all of his friends. That’s when they all realize that they were wrong about Miss Spider. This is another book by David Kirk and ...more
  • Curious Critters
  • Piggies
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
  • Old Black Fly
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Measuring Penny
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Millions to Measure
  • Pigsty
  • Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born
David Kirk is the creator of children's books that follow the character Miss Spider. Before writing books, he made colorful toys that were sold in hand-painted boxes. He was urged to write children's books when his toys caught the interest of a book packager. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he would use as characters in his stories: his daughter, Violet, had a liking for bugs.

Miss Spider (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Little Miss Spider
  • Miss Spider's Wedding
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • Miss Spider's ABC
  • Little Miss Spider at Sunny Patch School (Little Miss Spider)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party: The Counting Book
  • Miss Spider Treasury
  • Little Miss Spider: A Christmas Wish
  • Miss Spider: Miss Spider's Family Album
  • Bug-A-Boo Day Play (Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends)