Start by marking “C. S. Lewis Bible: New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)” as Want to Read:
C. S. Lewis Bible: New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

C. S. Lewis Bible: New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Beloved author C. S. Lewis is one of the world's most influential Christian thinkers and a trusted companion for millions of readers. The C. S. Lewis Bible draws upon the distinctive wisdom of Lewis's celebrated spiritual classics--Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, The Problem of Pain, Miracles, and A Grief Observed--as well as his other distingu ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about C. S. Lewis Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C. S. Lewis Bible

Deann Alford
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was skeptical of yet another this or that Bible [waiting for somebody to come out with Scripture for cat-lovers or a Dorcas edition for folks into sewing] but this is what I read before bed. The excerpts from Lewis' books, letters, etc, prove insightful and valuable. I actually acquired this book when I learned of a promo via Douglas Grisham's Twitter feed. But it's been surprisingly good and I recommend it to others.
Andrew Murch
As a daily Bible reader and a C.S. Lewis admirer, this book combines a couple of my favorite things. The entire text of the NRSV is contained in this book, so it is a regular Bible. I might categorize it as a Bible+, in that it includes hundreds of Lewis references. There are sidebars, footnotes, and quotes contained in the pages alongside the biblical text, Lewis references that deal with the subject, character, or specific text at hand. I like the format. I have attempted to use this Bible as ...more
Julie Davis
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've never understood the enthusiasm for study Bibles on a single theme or with a single person's commentary. Obviously, they are popular because you can see them everywhere. When this Bible came to my attention, I blanched.

However, it seems as if 2014 is fast becoming my "year of C.S. Lewis" as I work my way through his books in audio format. So I took a closer look on Amazon where I found Brandon Vogt's review, which I encourage you to read. I trust Brandon's judgment a lot from having read h
C.S. Mize
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes C.S.Lewis
Recommended to C.S. by: I found it randomly.
Shelves: molded-my-life
I struggle with finding the Bible boring or being overwhelmed with what it is saying verses what is culturally influenced either in scripture or in my own heart. Overall, I find it easy to put the Bible down, and instead pray or find a book by someone (like C.S. Lewis) reflecting on the Bible in a way I just honestly understand better.

For me, Lewis is one of the best minds to walk down the path of joy, of pain, and/or of grief with. I often turn to his books in time of heavy life events or serio
Cigno
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the C.S. Lewis quotes and excerpts to add a great deal of depth to the Scriptures. For those who find the Bible difficult to read, this version will most likely help as C.S. Lewis' amazing mind brings a fresh perspective and relevance to everything. The editors did a great job in strategically placing relevant C.S. Lewis writings even to the most difficult of subjects.

I put together a reading plan so that I would finish this Bible in December (started in January), I finished 5 months ea
Danny
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a great book. I do wish it could have been done in a more study Bible form though so that I could use it in my daily reading plan with out feel that there is too much to read, and I feel that more of his teachings could have been used. Great for any C.S. Lewis fan and for anyone who wants to get a little preview of some of his books. It even includes some quotes from Chronicles of Narnia a great book series.
Paul Parkinson
The notes in the book come from various places (like his books or letters to others). I thought when I got it that it had his personal handwritten notes, but no. Still very interesting to read.

So,l finally read through the bible, reading at least one chapter every day. I think i'll go back and read the new testament, reading three versions and the notes. I don't think i'll be as disciplined though and won't read some every day.
Joshua
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually like a bible with another authors writing interspersed, i think the bible itself is compelling enough, the additional details are just a distraction. However Lewis is such an inspiration that his words and insights are much appreciated. I like CS Lewis enough that I actually got excited when i saw this bible and having read through many different versions and translations I found this one a pleasure.
Paul Grossman
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I do relish diving deeper into the Word with study Bibles, it is good to sometimes just encounter the text as it is. This Bible provided just that with samples from various writings and letters of C.S. Lewis really along to accentuate the readings. I heartily enjoyed it!
Scott Gill
It's the Bible, what can I say? It is the RSV which many have "knee jerked" against but I have found to be sound and fair in its translation. The notes of Lewis are well placed. I have made it my daily Bible reading selection.
Marilynn A Grieser
The Bible and CS Lewis? Could there be anything better? Over 600 quotes by CS Lewis are inserted into the text in meaningful ways. I so enjoyed these treats in my daily readings!
Katie Casey
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just got this for my Kindle Fire, and have been enjoying reading through all the C.S. Lewis excerpts.
Hannah Abram
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing commentary!
Adam
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles, read-in-2014
I really enjoyed all the C.S. Lewis inserts throughout the Bible, and the introduction was particularly good. Highly recommend for anyone planning to read through the Bible in a year!
Margaret Chind
Morag Smith
Nov 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Grace Notes: Daily Readings with a Fellow Pilgrim
  • Holy Bible: The Green Bible, New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
  • The Gospel Mark: The New Daily Study Bible
  • Acts (The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Called to Life
  • God Strong: The Military Wife's Spiritual Survival Guide
  • Mark: The Gospel of Passion (Biblical Imagination)
  • Smoke on the Mountain: An Interpretation of the Ten Commandments
  • Benedictus: A Book of Blessings
  • Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America: An Evangelical's Lament
  • Conflict & Community in Corinth: A Socio-rhetorical Commentary on 1-2 Corinthians
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • Paul for Everyone the Pastoral Letters 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Nonviolent Action: What Christian Ethics Demands But Most Christians Have Never Really Tried
  • Paul, Women, and Wives: Marriage and Women's Ministry in the Letters of Paul

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division