Start by marking “The Green Mile, Part 1: The Two Dead Girls” as Want to Read:
The Green Mile, Part 1: The Two Dead Girls

The Green Mile, Part 1: The Two Dead Girls

(The Green Mile #1)

They were sisters, and the picture-perfect image of innocence. No one could understand their brutal deaths, not even the man who killed them. But John Coffey is about to gain a new insight, about his life in prison, and about the one man who will walk him down that green mile...towards destiny.
Published October 1st 1996 by Bt Bound (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Mile, Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Mile, Part 1

Ammar
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The start of a modern classic. Simple , smart, and breathtaking.
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2016-shelf
Movies! I remember watching this one when it came out! It's so odd to be reading the tale a few decades later without even having a desire to watch the movie. :)

It turns out that Hanks with a prostate problem was NOT the most memorable part of the movie. It's the mouse, of course. The main character is always the mouse, and I'm not even referring to Steamboat Willie.

The short story is mild and reflective, even with the scent of rape, murder and peppermint, which is odd, all considered. And yet,
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
A good set-up for what's later to come. I like the main character and some of the other guards, they seem like realistic characters, although hearing about the urinary tract infection so often made me wince. I'm not a fan of the death penalty and this book helps reinforce some of the reasons why. 'The Green Mile' is aptly named. The scene where they find Coffey holding the girls is sobering - the entire scene from discovering they're missing to finding the result was amazingly written. Since thi ...more
Arah-Lynda
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top, i-said
It was 1996 when I came across this, a happy accident, at my local 7-11, near the bat tree.

It is 1932 when we first meet Paul Edgecombe, head screw, and our narrator and walk The Green Mile at Cold Mountain, where men are sent to pay their final due to Old Sparky, the electric chair.

It is the year that John Coffey came to Cold Mountain, convicted of brutally raping and killing two, near nine year old twin girls, an enormous man, a mountain in his own right, with wet, dark eyes and a humble, g
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
My First Stephen King Novel and I'm glad that I started off with this series.
Despite its short length it was very intriguing. And though it ended kind of plainly rather than in a cliffhanger, the theme of the series would definitely pique your interest to read the sequels of the same. :)

The setting of the story vaguely reminds me of Shawshank Redemption though.
Elke
Om alsnog mijn Reading Challenge te halen heb ik besloten De Groene Mijl te lezen. Ik heb de box-set waar 6 losse delen in zitten van elk ongeveer 100 tot 150 bladzijden. Misschien een beetje valsspelen, maar goed. Ik heb vanavond dus het eerste deel gelezen en vind het erg goed. Uiteraard ga ik het vergelijken met de film, maar moet toegeven dat ik het tot nu toe een goeie verfilming vind.
Adolf Schindler of Books ♥
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a fantastic piece of the master Stephen King because the characters are well developed and the plot is amazing.
Philip
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Man, I wish I was in to Stephen King when this came out in serialized fashion. I watched the movie back then, but hadn't read the book.

In the past 5 to 10 years, I've started reading King.

He's good. He's so good.

I guess the good part is, you know how people binge watch TV shows now? I can binge-read these. Yeah. I'll be doing that.

One thing to add: in book one, there is a great introduction about books and reading in general.
Sarah Monreau
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
Der erste Teil von sechs von The Green Mile. Ich LIEBE den Film abgöttisch, habe ihn schon einige Male seit meiner Kindheit gesehen und kann/muss immer noch an den selben Stellen weinen. Niemals hat mich ein Film so tief ergriffen wie dieser und niemals habe ich eine Hauptfigur so tief in mein Herz geschlossen, wie John Coffey. Ich liebe John Coffey... Stephen King hat mit dieser Geschichte nicht nur ein Meisterwerk erschaffen, sondern gleich zwei, denn John Coffey ist mit Sicherheit eines! Was ...more
Steph
A newsletter I love brought this re-release to my attention, and it warms my heart.
Back in 1996, Stephen King released The Green Mile in 6 installments. I was too young to read it in '96, but now I can experience the ebook releases as readers originally did, without the ability of skipping ahead. The parts are being released in two week increments so at least you know exactly when the next part will be released. Take note, George RR Martin!!! just kidding.
I watched the movie several years ago,
Becky
Late to the scene on reading this series. So glad I am finally reading it....In this first section we are introduced to some of the main characters, can't wait to continue with this!
Meigan
*Cliterary Genius 2017 Reading Challenge, January: Read a Stephen King book.
Debbie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one tells a story quite like Mr. King. Sad, heartbreaking and riveting!
Mina
Oct 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2018
I started seeing a lot of King’s books on my feed, and, naturally, I got pulled into the reading mania. Despite the fact that I know that I don’t enjoy his books, I looked up his work and picked a few books that seemed interesting. I decided to read only the first part of the Green mile solely because I knew I wouldn’t finish the whole book if started.

There’s just something with King’s books that isn’t for me. It took me 3 days to finish 60 pages, and I finished it only because it was 60 pages
Freya Beavis
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read a Stephen King book in ages and it’s all flooding back to me how easy his work is to get through! It’s engulfing!
Marc-Antoine
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a wonderful story.
Megan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review I wrote at 2:45 AM, exhausted: Very good start to the beginning of "The Green Mile" series. Enjoyed several different parts of the story and the set up for more. Can't wait for two!

More thorough review at 7:13 PM, sort of tired: I have really enjoyed the first part of this serial novel. I am also genuinely surprised by how much I've enjoyed the beginning of this book although I am a fan of the movie. I guess the reason I am so surprised is because I've always written Stephen King
Jamie
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I love this story, but I have never sat down to actually read it through before now. I am actually pretty surprised at how faithful the movie adaptation is to the story so far. I recall quite a bit of narration in the movie, but I know they do not go to the depths the books do. There is a bit more nebulous an idea of a solid timeline in the books than in the movie, which I think is probably more true to the idea of the story, since Paul is telling us the story from the standpoint of an older man ...more
AJ Gray Douglas
The first episode of the green mile was very interesting. We could grasp how the scenery looked like. And the main character, Paul, was extremely loving due to his raw personality. The aspect that bothered me most was the fact that he would constantly talk about his urinal infection (which didn't bring much to the story in my opinion). Otherwise, we could really understand death sentences and how they affected the guards. For those reasons, I ended up giving this book a 3,75.
Paula
última lectura del año.
Sara
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
it's awful true story .
scary .
Mom2triplets04
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is book 1 of a series and only 100 pages long. I already saw the movie so I knew what was going to happen. It's heartbreaking what happened to the little girls.
Patrick
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna ( Momsbookcollection )
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This was my first Stephen King book to read! mainly got it cause it was short and if i liked it i would get the rest of the series!!!!

But i'm not ruling out that i hated it or didn't like it, my two star is that i thought it was an alright read but it wasn't for me. Which in my case i might have missed something while reading it maybe but when i read the title The Two Dead Girls and read that no one understood the deaths of the girls not even the man who killed them i was hoping to really enjoy
Deb
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this series with a GR book group. We are reading one book a month as it was originally published. I have seen the movie so many times but never read the series. Absolutely perfect Stephen King. Descriptions so vivid and beautifully written. Can't believe I never read this!
Jenn
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The first book of 6 of The Green Mile!! This book only gripped me in the middle. Found beginning and end kind of blah!! Hope it picks up in the next book.
Max
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror, fantasy
This was a certainly interesting book. Its plot line didn't make much since. I mean it progressed over the book but I think the reason it was written was as a filler story. The way it gives you the information though in a very interesting way. If you make a filler story I think this story is how you make one. So it was a very weird story but a very interesting read.
Karen
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This first installment is intriguing with its colorful characters and foreboding storyline. King has a knack for plunging his readers into a captivating plot. I imagine I would have been anxious for the next installment if I had read this when it was first published.

*Stephen King chose to publish The Green Mile in a Dickensian format in which the six separate paperbacks that comprise the novel were published on a monthly basis beginning in March, 1996.
chloe
I picked the 6 part chapbooks up on a whim in a used book store and read this first instalment on the bus home. Mannn is King a good writer. Everything was gripping; the story, the characterisation, the narrator, the setting, even the eerie cover art. The mood is so grim/ dingy in a way that made me lament the misery people experience on death row (especially during the Great Depression) and reaffirmed my opposition to capital punishment (even though some kind of punition is obviously due when d ...more
Justin Lahey
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here's the thing. Back in 1996, March to be exact, in the heart of my Stephen King obsession (I rekindled my obsession with Under The Dome and have been reobsessed ever since!), Stephen King did an absolutely amazing thing: he decided to write a story divided into 6 parts that would be published every month. So my sister and I shared a superb adventure. Here's how we did it back then: we would rush up town and buy the book on its release day, and power through it like rabid fans - and then re-re ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 13 The Green Mile Part One: Two Dead Girls 1 2 May 16, 2016 09:18AM
  • Day of Reckoning: The Stereoscope (Blackstone Chronicles, #5)
  • Blaze

• The Green Mile, Part 3: Coffey's Hands
  • The Green Mile, Part 4: The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix
  • The Green Mile, Part 5: Night Journey
  • The Green Mile, Part 6: Coffey on the Mile
“I couldn't help it, boss, he said. I tried to take it back but it was too late.” 2 likes
“Ali ljudi vole licemjere, znate - jer u njima vide svoje gore list, a uvijek je tako lijepo kad nekog uhvate spuštenih hlača i dignuta pimpača, a to nisi ti.” 0 likes