Start by marking “StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  485 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Students who use their natural talents achieve the most --- but they need to know what those talents are. StrengthsQuest includes the Clifton StrengthsFinder, an online assessment that reveals students’ top five themes of talent. And StrengthsQuest also helps students make the most of those talents.

Students and learners of all ages continually face the challenges of gainin
Published January 1st 2016 by Gallup Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about StrengthsQuest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about StrengthsQuest

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond
Mandi Friedman
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Oh. My. Goodness. First, I took the strengths test, and I loved figuring out what mine were! I am a college student, and since this book is geared towards college students, all the questions challenging me to get the most out of college inspired me. I can start picking what kind of career would suit my strengths. This book inspires me to be the best I can be, and achieve so much in the world. It explained and declared that everyone has talents and strengths, and that if we all ...more
Semi-Academic Eric
Donald O. Clifton was an educational psychologist and one of the early proponents of positive psychology. His work has been integrated into the Gallup organization's Clifton StrengthsFinder that has now been made relatively famous by these other books: StrengthsFinder 2.0, Strengths Based Leadership Great Leaders Teams and Why People Follow, and Strengths Based Selling.

This book seems to be an interesting starting place, and using the $10 assessment that can be found at www.strengthsquest.com ca
Marlena
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Take this assessment online. It will change your life!

My strengths: Learner, Discipline, Positivity, Intellection, and Developer.
Mccall
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This books means very little without the 'personal perspective' which comes from taking the online assessment. Do yourself a favour and take the "test" before reading the book.
Mamie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like the philosophy on building upon one's strengths in order to succeed and find happiness and purpose in life. It wasn't the most amazing book in the whole wide world (I would have liked to find out even more about my specific strengths and maybe have more space for writing responses/brainstorming.). Also, I think the layout could have been improved and been made more interesting with a better flow. Overall, though, the book a great resource to find out more about yourself and the bes ...more
Citlalli
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a student in high school who is looking for a purpose and preparing to graduate high school, I needed to find something that motivated me more. Donald Clifton does an amazing job in helping you discover and prepare you for the real world and find your strengths and how you can find them and put them into action. I truly enjoyed reading this book it changes your perspective on things and sees it from other perspectives. I would recommend this book to teachers, students in high school, college ...more
Denise
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Read for New Student Experience class)

My Top 5 strengths are: Input, Achievor, Relator, Discipline, and Intellection.

A truly informative book, as well as uplifting. Along with the online assesment, StrengthsQuest shows you how you are as a person and the strengths you most commonly (and unknowingly) use, and how you can use those strength to advance and better your life. It's an insightful eye-opener.
Svetlana Kurilova
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great addition to the strength finder results. This book emphasizes the importance of the recognition of personal strengths and how to nurture them building skills and knowledge based on the natural talents. The discussion of the main characteristics of 34 main strength themes throughout the book made me appreciate how different we all are and how useful it is for us as individuals as well as a whole society.
Rebecca Kelly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for school. It was eye-opening, and helped me look at some of the strengths I have, and how to use those in finding a job after graduation.
Jenny
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Strengths Quest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career and Beyond is a book (and online test) that seeks to help people determine and develop their strengths. Having researched a number of successful people, the authors boiled down various personality types/strengths into 34 themes. Once you take the online test, you are told your top five themes and then are given insight into the characteristics, how you can develop those themes, how those themes can help you throughout coll ...more
Kristen
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
I read this book and completed the assessment for my final project in a Career Counseling course I was taking. This book and the assessment that accompanies it are a wonderful tool for gaining personal insight into your strongest strengths and talents. This book encourages positive evaluation of self, much like positive psychology and once your strengths are identified, it offers suggestions on how to build and refine those talents. The author of this book believes that those who succeed in life ...more
Casey
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was unsure of this book when our professor assigned it for our honor's seminar. I ordered the book, took the test, and was surprised to see my top strengths.

This book helped me tremendously and more than I ever thought it would. Nobody thinks they need a book like this but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go far in life. I will always keep this book and read through it periodically. I learned a lot about myself and others in class based on our strengths, and of course, our teacher.
Finally got around to finishing this one. Overall a very good introduction to using Strengths in educational settings. I do think I learned more about the 34 themes and got ideas for how to facilitate groups and individual mentoring sessions, but I still don't feel like I am an "expert" - but one of the beauties of Strengths is that you don't have to be an expert on all 34, just need to develop an understanding of your own top 5 so that you can have authentic relationships and discussions with o ...more
Adam Demers
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I believe in the results of the StrengthsQuest book and I also believe that most would benefit from understand their personal top 5 signature theme. This book is geared to college aged students and they are the demographic that I believe would benefit most from this book. I recommend book only if you are able to take the StrengthsQuest test online, so be carefully if you are buying this book used because the code that comes with the book might already be used.
Johnny
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have spent most of my life trying to work on the things I perceived myself to be lacking in. There's a time and a place for this, but Strengthsquest taught me that it's also just as important, if not more, to focus on what I am naturally good at and use that as a foundation for my life work. This book was INCREDIBLY helpful in me finding my strengths and gave me a blueprint for building a life and career upon them.
Jacqueline
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
StrengthsQuest is more informative and more useful than its cousin 'StrengthsFinder 2.0'. It is geared toward students and includes helpful suggestions/recommendations for developing one's Strengths. Also, includes access to a website with additional resources. Assessment is sweet. Delve into the assessment results and accompanying materials.
Dawn Rendell
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who work with college students
Recommended to Dawn by: Jodie Castanza
An interesting take on skill development. The basic premis is that, if we focus on what we are good at, we can improve those skills by 80%. If we focus on what we are bad at, we can only improve those skills by 20%. To be honest, I'm reading it for work, but it's kind of interesting. My strengths are empathy, communication, ideation, input, and intellection. :)
Ambrose Miles
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So much is written to tell you what is wrong with you. Here is the book that tells you what is right and why. Not only that, but you learn what your strengths are. How very positive! I highly recommend this book and lifestyle!
David Kemp
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Designed for college students; I sure wish I had read it back in day. However, I'm not sure I would have taken it as seriously back then. However, I took it seriously now.

Being able to take the Clifton StrengthsFinder test is worth the price of the book.
Tiffany Ingle
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of all of the strengths books, I feel like this one has very meaty information about what to do with your new knowledge of strengths and some theory behind everything that offers guidance for building talents into strengths.
Stephanie
StrengthsQuest in an entryway to a variety of experiences that will help you discover your greatest talents and develop your strengths. I took the Clifton StrengthsFinder and my top 5 strengths are:

Analytical, Responsibility, Deliberative, Harmony, Consistency
Kevin Douglas
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing. It will completely redirect your life in ways that were otherwise unimaginable.
Angela
Oct 25, 2011 added it
Finally finished this book I started in 2011. A good POSITIVE start for the new year!
Chloe
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Not gona be helpful unless you spend extra money on the website to do the test.

But the test result only helps a bit.

Good way to know more about yourself but that's about it.
Grant Sawyer
Jul 10, 2015
Kristen Mackin
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2008
Apr 28, 2017
Dragan Mirkovic
Mar 05, 2016
What are your strengths???? 2 3 May 15, 2014 07:15PM

• People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • Strengths Finder 2.0
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Rogue Elephant and Man-Eaters Don't Laugh (Missionary Adventure Stories)
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • But is It Art?: An Introduction to Art Theory
  • Hurricanes: A Memoir
  • Personal Finance for Dummies
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • A New England Nun and Other Stories