Start by marking “Dogsled Dreams” as Want to Read:
Dogsled Dreams

Dogsled Dreams

Twelve-year-old Rebecca dreams of becoming a famous dog-sled racer. She's an inventive but self-doubting musher who tackles blinding blizzards, wild animal attacks, puppy training, and flying poo missiles. All of her challenges seem easier than living up to the dogs' trust in her abilities.
Published January 15th 2011 by 4RV Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dogsled Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogsled Dreams

Katieb (MundieMoms)
"What a fun, fast paced, action packed story! Having grown up around dogs and dogsledding, Rebecca has a dream of leading her own team in a dog sledding competition. Through a lot of hard work, dedication, preparation and with her father's support, Rebecca competes in her first race.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

It wasn't hard for me to get sucked right into Rebecca's world. I really liked various elements that make up Dogsled Dreams. It's a mix of adventure, learning to trust yourself and being courageous. Twelve year old R
Cindy Hudson
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca loves nothing more than to be out on the trail with her huskies on a sled. She dreams of leading a team in a race one day, and when her change comes, she really wants to prove to her dad that even though she’s only twelve, she can do it.

Dogsled Dreams by Terry Lynn Johnson is a fascinating look at the life of a musher. Rebecca puts in a lot of time with her dogs, feeding them, cleaning up after them and making sure they’re safe for the night. She also has to learn about dangers on the tr
Susan Fields
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is unlike anything my kids and I have ever read before. I read it out loud to them, and I was a little nervous my fantasy-loving offspring would have a hard time getting into a book about dogsledding. Not to worry! This book grabbed us right away and kept us turning pages straight to the end.

The writing is so vivid and the descriptions so clear, I felt like I was right there with Rebecca, caring for her dogs, dreaming of becoming a famous musher, and running her first dogsledding race.
Jody
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The great thing about this book is that the author really is a musher. Her experience with dogs and the outdoors really shines through with her descriptions of the main character's relationship with each team member. It's a short, quick read which would match nicely with Gary Paulsen's WOODSONG. Any child who likes dogs would love it. I know just the girl I'm going to loan it to tomorrow!
Bethe
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Basic story about a girl and her sled dogs getting ready for her first competition. I liked the helpful diagram of the sled dog team and the vocabulary list. If you enjoyed this one - please read Johnson's latest book Ice Dogs - it is excellent!
Natalie Aguirre
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Rebecca was vulnerable, but incredibly brave to follow her dream of doing a dogsled race. The book took me to places I know I'll never experience in real life. The plot moved fast and the stakes kept on increasing. I really recommend this.
Lori Henrich
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Rebecca is twelve-years-old and dreams of becoming a famous musher one day.

I really liked this story - it was easy to read and I got attached to the main character very easily.

Tommy Greenwald
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
what doglover wouldn't love this? high adventure and great fun!!
Jaden
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Terry Lynn Johnson. Can't wait to read more of her work.
Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure)
I picked up this novel really because after reading a few THICK books, I needed something light, short, and quick to read. I was able to finish it in one afternoon so that was refreshing! Plus, after looking at my Goodreads challenge and seeing how behind I am, I needed something that would push my number up, and quick! Plus, it is a read that qualifies for the 2011 Debut Author Challenge as well.

Book Summary:

In Dogsled Dreams by Terry Lynn Johnson, Rebecca is a young girl living in Canada with
Susan Quinn
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This debut middle grade novel is about a girl who dreams of racing her dogs in the frozen north. It's fast-paced, stuffed full of doggy goodness and racing lingo, and charmed the anorak off me from the very first page. Johnson has created a story that will appeal equally to 7-year-old boys who love puppies and 12-year-old girls who dream of being on American Idol. That is quite a feat, and mark me impressed.

Rebecca lives with her dad and step-mom, raising their Alaskan Huskies. She dreams of bei
Randy Russell
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From BiblioReads: DOGSLED DREAMS: Twelve-year-old Rebecca dreams of becoming a famous sled dog racer. She’s an inventive but self-doubting musher who tackles blinding blizzards, wild animal attacks, puppy training, and flying poo missiles. All of her challenges though, seem easier than living up to the dogs’ trust in her abilities. Rebecca runs her huskies along the crisp trails near Thunder Bay, Ontario, where northern lights flare and dangerous beavers lurk. Through the bond she shares with th ...more
Medeia Sharif
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Twelve-year old Rebecca wants to be a dog sled racer. Young and inexperienced, she sees there are many challenges ahead of her. From animals attacking her dogs to blizzards, there's a lot to learn and obstacles to overcome. With determination and a love for her dogs, she sets out to become a musher who not only travels far and wide, but also gains the trust of her huskies. I'm neither an outdoorsy person nor a dog owner, but I became involved with Rebecca and her story. The character development ...more
Amy
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dogsled Dreams is a great adventure story about a girl who dreams of leading a dogsled team of her own. This story gives you more than a peek into the world of mushers and their dogs--it drops you right into the middle of it with plenty of adorable puppies, dogsled racing, flying poop, a blizzard, and a girl who grows with her dogs and learns to believe in herself. I'd highly recommend for elementary or middle school kids -- just wish this book had been around when my dog-loving daughter had bee ...more
Darby Karchut
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dogsled Dreams, the debut novel by Terry Lynn Johnson, is a delightful ride. Rebecca dreams of competing in her first big dogsled race. Along the way, she not only learns more about the sport of dogsledding, but also about herself.
A charming story for any middle grade girl or boy who likes adventure and dogs!
Cynthia Willis
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this wonderful debut. It is an engaging, exciting, and sometimes hilarious story full of amazing details and fascinating information about dog sled racing. The protagonist and her wonderful dogs came alive and brought me along with them on their adventures.
Tess Hilmo
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel a while ago and then saw my son reading it over the weekend and loving it. Those are the best books - the ones that can be passed from parent to child to friend and neighbor. Great characters and action in a unique setting. This is one fun read.
Jacqueline Garlick
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Readers searching for authentic adventure in authentic middle grade voice...here is your answer! Gripping! Enthralling! Amazing! An author to follow! :)
Sharon
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased
What a great chapter book! You can feel Becca's excitement and her fear throughout the book. If you have a kiddo that likes winter or dogs they will love this book!
Terry Johnson
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: http://terrylynnjohnson.blogspot.com/
author review!
Lee
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
This book draws you in and makes you want to turn the pages to find out what happens next. I can see this being part of the curriculum in many classrooms.
Caroline Rose
Dogs, beavers, prickly porcupines, races, spills, and the courage to chase a dream.
Julz
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2016
Aug 17, 2012
Ishra Rahman
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Terry Lynn Johnson writes outdoor adventures inspired by her own team of eighteen Alaskan huskies. Her passion for adventure has provided her with a rich background to write from.

When she's not writing, Terry enjoys hiking, snowshoeing, and kayaking. She works as a Conservation Officer (Game Warden) in Whitefish Falls, Ontario.

She is represented by Caryn Wiseman of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency