Start by marking “Full Moon” as Want to Read:
Full Moon

Full Moon

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Full Moon is a photographic journey to the Moon and back, drawn from NASA's 32,000 pictures from the Apollo missions. For the first time NASA has allowed 900 of its 'master' negatives and transparencies to be taken offsite for electronic scanning so as to produce the sharpest images of space that we have ever seen. From this selection of 'master' photographs Michael Light ...more
Published 2002 by Jonathan Cape (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon

Michael
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully produced book of images taken primarily from the Apollo moon missions (there's a couple from the earlier Gemini missions, too), which after 40-odd years are still breathtaking.

The photographs are presented on black pages with only the image numbering as text. Captions are given for each photograph at the end of the book and, while this means much flicking back and forth on a first read, allows the images to stand for themselves when you go back over them, which I certainly
Peter
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves the achievments of the human race
This is one of the most beautiful books I have read. The quality of the images and printing show that this is beyond any doubt a labour of love.

If you have a passion for art, read it. If you have a passion for space travel, science and photography then read it. I can not stress enough the beauty of this book, one the most remarkable events in history to savour.

ENJOY.
Teresa
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: who's ready to be truly in awe?
Absolutely amazing! The only place I've seen more breathtaking images of space, the moon, and earth is at the Rose Center for Earth and Space, inside Hayden Planetarium in NYC – which is a permanent exhibition of the best of this book's prints.

Light's work is incredibly stunning on that large scale (this hardcover's dimensions are smaller than your standard coffee-table book size) and I recommend spending time there if you can. That said, this is a great little book to have around, as a reminder
Chris
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection of photography from the US moon missions. Stark black and white in some places and full four-color photography in others, this captures the space, the light, and the astronauts, who seem completely out of place in the grey dusty blackness. A few beautiful gatefold panorama shots add to the impact.
Mark
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most beautiful book of Apollo-related photographs I've ever seen. Yes, it's "just" a picture book, but anyone who has any interest in Apollo will want this one on their shelf to look at again and again, and to show to others. Better than anything Ron Howard or Tom Hanks could create.
the gift
beautiful pictures. ‘magnificent desolation’ indeed. humankind will never be to mars until humans walk on that distant world, as this series of moon landings makes clear, as this art meets science, makes the abstract real, in a way no math, no engineering, no science, can. this wonder is completed in these images. for those of us very unlikely to ever visit the moon, here are postcards of the dream.
Christopher
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I regret not finishing the last few pages of narrative before returning the book (late) to the library. What I read was very educating and well written. I actually got more out of the text than I did the pictures, which I equate more to my modern-era short attention span than anything else.

Kudos Mr. Light, I'll be back to finish the last few pages.
Alamgir Khan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strictly speaking it's not possible to read this coffee table book as it is a coffee table book that has no text. Instead it is a stunning set of beautiful images of our moon photographed as part of the NASA moon voyages of the late 1960s and early 1980s. It is a wonderful book which accompanied an exhibition that we attended a number of years ago at Hayward Gallery in London's South Bank.
Jonathan Ratty
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-science
The remedy for when those sad little 'We-never-went-to-the-moon' idiots pop up their heads occasionally. I'd love to beat every one last one over the head with this book. But since they simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what was achieved here, the beauty of this book is lost on their empty little souls.
Joe
Jan 05, 2009 added it
Great picture book.
John Dalton
This book is simply gorgeous.
Aquarium
Oct 09, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
Read about it at http://gizmodo.com/5377509/this-is-no... and it caught my interest :)
Martin
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
How could you not fall in love with the Moon after seeing these pictures.
Matthew
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The antidote to 100 Suns this book collects some of the best photos from the US space program. These pictures are so beyond description. They give a great feeling of humanity at its best.
Joan
Glorious, huge photographs. There is really very little to say about this book. If you loved the Apollo missions and you watched Neil Armstrong take that fist step, then this book is for you.
Katrin
This is an amazing book. The pictures are so clear and stunning.
Jan Exner
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful!
Jraptor
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: planetary-sci
Pretty. Very pretty, but little content.
Karl Kindt
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Fantastic photos, some never published anywhere else, with great commentary and explanation.
Winnie Lai
  • Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey
  • Flight: My Life in Mission Control
  • Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond
  • The Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space
  • Space Race: The Epic Battle Between America and the Soviet Union for Dominion of Space
  • Moondust: In Search Of The Men Who Fell To Earth
  • Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13
  • Deke!: An Autobiography
  • Genesis: The Story Of Apollo 8, The First Manned Flight To Another World
  • Dragonfly: NASA and the Crisis Aboard Mir
Michael Light is a San Francisco-based photographer and bookmaker focused on the environment and how contemporary American culture relates to it. His work is concerned both with the politics of that relationship and the seductions of landscape representation. He has exhibited extensively nationally and internationally, and his work has been collected by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, The ...more
More about Michael Light...