Start by marking “Fossil Hunter: Book Two of The Quintaglio Ascension” as Want to Read:
Fossil Hunter: Book Two of The Quintaglio Ascension

Fossil Hunter: Book Two of The Quintaglio Ascension (Quintaglio Ascension #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  738 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Fossil Hunter is hard SF in the tradition of Larry Niven about a world inhabited by the Quintaglios, a dinosaurian species that has evolved a human level of intelligence and culture.

Toroca, a Quintaglio geologist, is under attack for his controversial new theory of evolution. But the origins of his people turn out to be more complex than even he imagined, for he soon disco
Published March 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1993)

James Steele
Originally posted on Journalstone

Picking up years after Far-Seer concludes, Fossil Hunter centers on Afsan’s children. They were not culled by the Bloodpriests, thus putting Afsan in the unusual position of knowing who his children are. Afsan is now advisor to the emperor, Dybo, and one of his sons, Toroca, leads a survey team of Land. Like his father, Toroca makes another discovery about their civilization that turns their whole worldview upside down: evolution.

The second book of Sawyer’s Quint
Blind_guardian
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Quintaglio trilogy continues to impress. While we continue to follow the now-blinded astronomer, Afsan, we also are introduced to Toroca, one of Afsan's eight children. Unlike most of the Quintaglios, who are culled down to a single survivor from each clutch, all of Afsan's children survived into adulthood because of his position as 'the One'. But now, someone is doing the unthinkable, killing Afsan's children in cold blood, and Afsan has to figure out who could do such a thing. At ...more
Chip
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fairly early Sawyer that is a moderate read. This book is more about world building. It has great characters (some common from the first book) but seems to be missing the excitement and drive of the first one. It is mainly the story of Darwin told in an unique way. Will read the last in the series but am hoping for more compelling book.
Liz
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one loses a point for the bizarre God-like narrator chapters. but the protagonist (DINOSAUR DARWIN, with added loneliness issues -- everyone thinks he's kind of creepy because he doesn't fly into a homicidal rage at the touch of another) is the. best.
Shannon Appelcline
Fossil Hunter is definitely a step up from Sawyer's sophomore effort, Far-Seer, which makes it 3.5 stars instead of 3.

The biggest plus seems to be that he's moved a bit away from the mirroring-our-Age-of-Enlightment-with-dinosaurs idea. Oh, we've still got a Darwin, and he figures out evolution with the help of birds on a distant (Antarctic) island, but it feels like a smaller part of the narrative. Meanwhile, Sawyer also provides a really intriguing basis for why he's doing this whole other-enl
Djj
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Rob Sawyer, but truth be told I've avoided this trilogy as it sounded so bizarre and I was worried it might sully my admiration of Sawyer. I was happily wrong. While at times almost reminiscent of trippy Heinlein like 50s/60s scifi, with a dash of Arthur C. Clarke, this trilogy about sentient dinosaurs (e.g. raptors) making scientific discoveries on their home world is engaging and, like all Sawyer's books, eminently readable, plot-drive, and scientifically accurate. Without givin ...more
Simone
I turn to Sawyer because I want a mind-bending experience, well – this is certainly that!

I liked Book 1 better, I was not interested in half the story lines in Book 2, but I’m still in for Book 3.

Not much of a review, but I’d have to untangled my pretzeled brain in order to write something coherent and I’m still trying to picture what a sentient dinosaur’s apartment looks like! Ha!
Jeff Terrell
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great next chapter in the series!

This picks up years after the dust settles from book one. All your favorites are still there and the kids are key characters!!! Incredible yet somehow believable. Fantastic ride, can't wait to read the next one!
Neil Mosspark
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite books in Sawyers catalogue. Great world building, amazing character, and unique perspective. Loved learning about the characters and meeting them along the way. The trilogy really was a welcome addition after finishing this one.
Sean Randall
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite an interesting follow-on. Not only do we see more of the dynamic of these creatures development (much is made of their territorial instincts) and breeding practices, but we also get a look at the intelligence behind their evolution to begin with. It's not the sort of earth-shattering read Sawyer's done before (even if there is some chipping away at rocks) but it's spinning out a good, solid story with a profoundly interesting species, the like of which have rarely been done as well ...more
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors
  • In the Courts of the Crimson Kings (Lords of Creation, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Sometime Never
  • Doctor Who and the Enemy of the World
  • Doctor Who: The Ancestor Cell
  • Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace
  • Doctor Who: Mad Dogs and Englishmen
  • The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Silent Dances (Starbridge, #2)
  • The Empire of Fear
  • Doctor Who: Escape Velocity
  • Doctor Who: Halflife
  • Time Pressure (Lifehouse, #2)
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...

Quintaglio Ascension (3 books)
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)