Start by marking “Alpha and Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Alpha and Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)

Alpha and Omega

(Alpha & Omega 0.5)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  16,798 Ratings  ·  884 Reviews
In "Cry Wolf," New York Times bestselling author Patricia Briggs started a new urban fantasy series set in the world of Mercy Thompson but with rules of it's own. Now, read the eSpecial, Alpha and Omega, the novella that inspired the new series, and see how it all began.
Anna Latham never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack and became one
Published October 20th 2008 by Berkley Books (first published August 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha and Omega, please sign up.
Jessica I didn't and never felt lost. Ms. Briggs always does a good job recapping, in fact I didn't even know about this one until recently and have read and…moreI didn't and never felt lost. Ms. Briggs always does a good job recapping, in fact I didn't even know about this one until recently and have read and loved the entire series. (less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. This 70 page novella about a werewolf clan gone bad, and particularly its impact on one innocent woman, is a solid start to Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega urban fantasy series, which interlocks closely with her MERCY THOMPSON series. In fact, if you're going to read this series, you really should start here rather than with Cry Wolf, which picks up right where this novella breaks off.*

Anna is a seemingly submissive, sexually and physically abused werewolf in an appalling mess of a
♥Rachel♥
Re-Read February 12, 2018-Loved it all over again! Already started my re-read of Cry Wolf!

Anna, a relatively new werewolf, is barely getting by since the Change. She didn't chose this life and the Pack with Leo as the Alpha and Justin as his second, is pretty horrible. She calls Bran, the Marrok, when she sees that a new wolf (seen in a cage at the Pack home) is thought to be responsible for deaths under investigation. She doesn't know if Leo sanctioned the kills, but wouldn't be surprised if he
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of werewolf stories and fantastic characters
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: A lot of my GR buddies
I read this out of the On the Prowl anthology. I am so glad that many of my GR friends encouraged me to read this one sooner. Charles is an unforgettable character. It's hard to put into words how I feel about him. If could clearly elucidate all the traits that I like in a hero, then it's like Ms. Briggs took many of those qualities and created Charles. I am crazy about a quiet, yet deadly hero. That's Charles! He's really sigh-worthy. I know I will have to read this story again, so I can define ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This was my first time reading a book by Patricia Briggs and I absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to read her Mercy Thompson series for ages but I came across this short story the other day and thought it would be a good opportunity to find out if I liked her writing.

Well, I have to say that Alpha & Omega was an excellent introduction to her work. Don’t let yourself be fooled by the fact that this is a novella. It is very well structured, draws you in from the very first pages and is h
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 short, tiny stars.

Why hadn't I read this sooner? Oh, I know...I like Alpha heroines. That'll show me to make hasty judgements. This book was soooo good. It was beyond good. And it was just a short story. I can't wait to start with the next ones.

Anna

Charles

The book was too short for me to tell you whether I liked them or not so I'll leave it for later.

The story was nice and I won't describe it either, there is the blurb so... I will however tell you that I loved and if the next books are as
Angela
January 2018 Re-read. Buddy read with Sarah
January 2017 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah
December 2015 re-read: Buddy read with Sarah.

I love this series. We're doing an entire (world) series re-read in preparation for Fire Touched, which comes out in March 2016. I had read a lot of the Mercy Thompson series before I'd ever gathered the courage to start the A&O series. I'm not sure why, exactly, I delayed so long, but I think I thought that there was no way it could be as good as Mercy. Turns o
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

I wish I hadn't waited so long to start this series. This is one of the best novellas I've read as it accomplishes the goal of effectively introducing the characters and provides an exciting story.

Anna Latham is a seemingly submissive wolf who has suffered abuse from her pack in Chicago. After recognizing a werewolf in the news as one from her pack, she bravely contacts The Marrok (werewolf king) who dispatches his son Charles, an Alpha who serves as his enfo
Pam Nelson
5 Alpha & Omega Stars

This really cleared up a lot for me. I have heard the terms Alpha and Omega but I never really understood what and Omega was.

Breaks my heart what was done to Anna, but I think I love that she doesn't let it stop her. She is still a strong force to be reckoned with. She knows now what she doesn't want and she stands up for herself even if she is scared.

I like the whole chill vibe you get from Charles. But don’t let that fool you he is a very take charge kind of fellow.
1st Read July 2010 - Rating 4 * (In the On The Prowl anthology)
2nd Read August 2012
3rd Read February 2014 - Rating increased to 5 *
4th Read December 2015
5th Read January 2017
6th Read January 2018

Full Review

Anna has been at the bottom of her pack ever since she was turned into a werewolf during a brutal attack. She knows all about the horrors that can and are inflicted by alpha males and has learnt to be wary around them. She finally plucks up courage to ask for help when she sees a newspaper art
AH
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was about to read Cry Wolf when I was reminded that there was a prequel - Alpha and Omega. My wonderful OCD friends at Goodreads (you know who you are) keep telling me that I need to read series in order, so I did.

I loved Charles. What a perfect werewolf! Dangerous and deadly, incredibly handsome and muscular, protective and loyal. I can't wait to read more about him. Did I say I was in love?

Anna puzzled me at first. To me, she seemed meek and scared, like damaged goods. But that was only on t
Melissa_lifeinthebooks
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
This prequel was amazing, great introduction to Charles and Anna. So excited to continue with this series!!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mercy Thompson fans, werewolf fans
I haven’t read anything by Patricia Briggs in a long time so it was nice to go back to her writing. I forgot how well she writes. Alpha & Omega was a very quick and easy read!

I read this novella out of the On the Prowl anthology and I thought it was a great start to a new series for Briggs! Anna is a werewolf, an Omega to be exact and under desperate circumstances she finds herself calling the Marrok behind her Alpha’s back.

In comes Charles Cornick, Bran’s son. I found myself liking Charles
Cathy (cathepsut)
Who’d have thought that turning into a werewolf would turn her into a coward? But now she knew the monsters were real.

Getting to know Anna and Charles. The prequel to the Alpha & Omega series. And a good one, too. The insta-whatever is not my favourite trope, but done well enough.

Re-read in 2017. Six years since the first time, wow, how time flies!

*~*~*~*~*
Read this in 2011, as part of On the Prowl.

It's the precursor to the Alpha & Omega novels. I really liked it, although I already knew
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Absolutely love this series just as much as Mercy!
Obsidian
I ended up not reading all of the stories in "On the Prowl". I did back in the day, but since I wanted to read this for the "Werewolves" square for my second bingo card for Halloween Bingo 2017, I didn't feel the need to read all of the stories. From what I recall the first time, I was not that impressed with all of the stories, but ended up falling in love with the characters of Anna and Charles.

If you read the "Alpha & Omega" series, make sure you start with this one first otherwise you m
Keertana
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, Alpha & Omega surprised me. For one, I wasn't expecting this prequel novella to be so integral to the plot line of this series. I actually only picked it up before Cry Wolf because I was in the mood for something shorter at first, but very quickly, I realized that Alpha & Omega is, in fact, a must-read before beginning this series. And what a beginning it is.

Alpha & Omega begins with Anna, a submissive in her Chicago pack, phoning Bran to report that she saw a local
Ezinwanyi
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing intro to Charles and Anna

An amazing intro to Charles and Anna relationship, the Marrock’s gutman and his omega mate. This book is absolutely essential to understanding their relationship dynamics. It’s not all hearts and flowers but something beautiful materialized from the violence perpetrated in Leo’s pack.
Choko
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.25 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks:)

This was a very quick, I mean veeery quick read... It was fun meeting the Omega. I felt really sorry for her - that treatment, inexcusable no matter what. I am beginning to deeply despise the Chicago Pack and hope something gets done with them in the future... The Alpha is just hot! I was interested in him from the first book we read and was hoping there will be something more about him. Obviously we get it in the A&O part of the series.

I am
Jacob Proffitt
Six years ago, I bounced off this series and gave Cry Wolf two stars. I don't remember it and that was before I was active with writing reviews. So I've had a bad emotional reaction to the series ever since and have no idea why.

Recent friend reviews have bemoaned that this story is hard to find on its own and that you have to read this story for Cry Wolf to have the impact it should. Well there’s some new information that has bearing! So I'm taking a chance on it because I love Briggs' Mercy Th
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: machalos, buddy-reads
🐺 Read for the great Mercy Thompson World Read/Reread 2018 with tha MacHalos 🐺

This was really good. It was vastly different in writing style than the first Mercy Thompson book but not that unpleasant. It channeled its inner Yoda quite strong though (ヅ)

Anyway really liked both Anna & Charles, they will make for one cute and interesting couple.

On to the next one!
Jilly
I started to read the first book in this series, and was like, "What the hell's going on?!"

i have no idea what those words mean photo: Supernatural tumblr_m61nc8aR181r5mah4_zps123bb5b6.gif
Yeah, it was important to read this prequel first.

So, we've got Anna, a werewolf, who is being treated very badly by her pack. She finds them doing something illegal and turns them in to the head honcho of werewolves. Yes, that's a thing. The main man, Bran, sends his son, Charles, to investigate her pack.

And, lo and behold, insta-love ensues!

love at first sight photo: Love At First Sight? 71417.gif
no, no I don't...

Charles is Anna's knight-in-shining-armor an
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Wow! This one was a big surprise. I loved it! I’ve never read this author before and I can’t believe how she conveys so much with so little words. Since this is the prequel, I was off to read the first book in the series as fast as I could go - and maybe to the ones after that!

Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: 24th July 2012
2nd read: 13th August 2012

3rd read: 1st July 2014
Buddy read with Jo

4th read: 27 December 2015
Buddy read with Maru
Duchess Nicole
Great intro to a series! I tend to love a hero that really does become a HERO and save the heroine just when she needs it most. Anna is definitely in need of help. If I could change one thing, it would be that Charles was a tad more possessive and growly. but that could be my love of romance coming out in this decidedly UF series. I am, however, really glad that we don't just get a regurgitated Adam and Mercy. There is a little shit talking on my favorite alpha werewolf...just a smidge, and I fe ...more
Zeek
This novella introduces Charles and Anna- and thus becomes the beginning of Briggs's Alpha and Omega series. I heart them so much.

Charles, pack enforcer and the son of Bran the alpha werewolf shifter for the North American region, is a strong alpha in his own right, but he's oh so gentle with Ana who has suffered enormous abuse in the current pack she's running with.

When he meets her while on assignment, he knows immediately she's his mate. It will take time to assure her of his need- however
KatieV
I listened to a bit of Cry Wolf and felt lost, so I went back to this short story to catch up. I think it's pretty essential if you don't want to be lost, IMHO. Although now that I'm into Cry Wolf, I think the continuity is a bit off between the two. It seemed in this story that Charles knew what had happened to Anna at the hands of her pack (warning for systematic rape/abuse), but in Cry Wolf he seems a bit more fuzzy on just what Anna's issues are. He knows her former pack abused her, but does ...more
Sanaa
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
[4 Stars] Fun start to the Alpha and Omega series! I'm excited to learn more about these characters, particularly Charles.
Kate's Corner
To enjoy Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs and it's full potential than this is a must read to help with Charles and Anna.

I really enjoyed this gem of how they meet and what their previous story is. For a novella this is pretty fantastic.

═══  PLEASE SUBSCRIBE / LIKE / FOLLOW US  ════

Blog            : https://www.jerisbookattic.com
FB Page       : https://www.facebook.com/JerisBookAttic
Twitter         : https://twitter.com/JeriTRyan
Goodreads  : https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2...
Bloglovin     : https://www.bloglovin.com/@j
Olga Godim
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella is a reread, probably my favorite of all the Briggs’s stories set in the world of Mercy Thompson and her werewolf friends. I own the anthology On the Prowl, in which Alpha and Omega is included, but every time I re-read it (at least twice already) I read only this one story.
The heroine of this short tale, Anna, is a recently turned werewolf in Chicago. Changed against her will, constantly abused by her new pack mates and bewildered by their brutal treatment, she is afraid of her ow
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Man-oh-man! I loved Holter Graham’s narration of this novella, the prequel to the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs. He is so good at doing Charles Cornick’s voice; with his discipline, intelligence, protectiveness, and possessiveness all accented in an American Indian intonation. **sigh**

I’ve heard his narration for the other books in this wonderful series, but the prequel had never been recorded before. While the others are good, Mr. Graham’
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na

Alpha & Omega (5 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
“I'm not threatening to kill myself. But you need to know this about me because—if you want to be my mate—I won't be like Leo. I won't let you sleep around with anyone else. I won't be forced either. I've had enough. If that makes me a dog in the manger, so be it. But if I am yours, then you damned well are going to be mine." - Anna to Charles” 27 likes
“The wolf wanted to bed her and claim her as his own. Being of a more cautious nature than his wolf, he would wait until he knew her a little better before deciding to court her.” 7 likes