Start by marking “Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself” as Want to Read:
Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself

Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  7,535 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews

Each of the following statements relates to one of the four basic personality types: Melancholy, Phlegmatic, Sanguine, and Choleric.

Which of these statements do you relate to most?

- Whether at home or work, I am well organized and keep everything in its proper place.

- It's difficult for me to express excitement, even about something that's really important to me.

- When sho

Published February 1st 1985 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1983)

Sean Showalter
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sean by: Kenny Cleveland
This book helped me gain a deep and accurate picture of myself. In addition, it has helped me to understand others. I regret that I was introduced to it so late in my life. In my opinion, this book should be a requisite in every high school in America. I strongly encourage everyone to read it.

There are 4 basic personality types created by some ancient Greek dude back in the day. All of us humans will have characteristics of each type. You take a personality assessment in the beginning of
Sep 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty gimmicky. The conceit of it is that there are four basic "temperaments": Popular Sanguine, Peaceful Phlegmatic, Powerful Choleric, and Perfect Melancholy. The idea is that you can identify your own tendencies and those of the people you interact with, and adapt suitably. For example, Popular Sanguines are fun, talkative, outgoing, have great ideas & get fired up about them, but they are flaky, self-centered, & lack organization & follow through. So mayb ...more
Seno Pamungkas
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Buku ini sangat bermanfaat utk dapat memahami diri sendiri dan orang lain...
Menurut buku ini, karakter seseorang digolongkan menjadi empat karakter :
1. Sanguinis
2. Melankolis
3. Koleris
4. Phlegmatis
Tiap orang memiliki keempat karakter itu. Namun tiap orang memiliki perbedaan mengenai dominasi karakter dalam dirinya ke dalam dua karakter dominan...
Kalau kita lihat dari penggabungan itu karakter seseorang dibagi menjadi :
1. Sanguini Koleris
2. Koleris Sanguinis
3. Sanguinis Phlegmatis
4. Phlegmatis Sa
Valorie Smith
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not exaggerate when I tell you this book saved my family. We had 4 children we homeschooled until high school. I was a full time homemaker and on call 24/7. I was stressed out, worn out, and guilted out by my inability to communicate effectively with these 4 short humans. I thought I would lose my mind! Then, probably about 1987, I read this book and it changed my life and the lives of my kids (and husband). It has held me in good stead through church activities, jobs, public school meeting ...more
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
bagi yg ingin tau sifat dominannya, buku yg tepat. aku baru tau da 4 sifat dominan manusia dan aku salah satunya. coba tebak apa?
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2014
I very seldom read non-fiction, and even less than that do I read self-help books. That’s more hubby’s kind of thing. Me? I love my fiction. A few months ago at the office, a colleague was telling me about a book he and his wife were reading that teaches you to understand who you are and thus will help you understand others. The way he explained it, I was intrigued, and naturally I also wanted to read this book which sounded as though it might have life-changing powers. I have an analytical mind ...more
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Westside Family Church Spiritual Growth Study

I read this book for a spiritual growth study sponsored through the Women's Ministry at my church. Our leader, Vicki Olsen, was an inspiring teacher.

I've taken many personality tests over the years, mostly sponsored by my employer, but this study was comprehensive, eye-opening and very helpful to my understanding of interacting with family and co-workers.
Andrea Norton
While I have it set at two stars, it's actually a 1.5 star book, in my opinion.

I picked up Personality Plus at the store because it sounded fun and interesting. Self help books have become a huge part of my life since Christmas 2015, when I had a serious mental crash and put myself through a rigorous "get better" program. Included in the broad category of self help are personality books. I read them for fun now, but also to learn, grow and see things from different perspective.

First, I have to
Daryl King
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my top 10 books that I think folks should have. It describes the 4 basic personality/temperament types that are found in people. It's similar to other resources that cover the 4 temperaments like the following:

Littauer......Keven Leman....Gary Smally...
Choloric.......Great Dane.....Lion...............Dominance
Phlegmatic...Irish Setter.....Retri
Daniel Taylor
An evergreen favourite amongst network marketers, "Personality Plus" teaches you about yourself. In doing so, it frees you up to understand others. It's a well-written and enjoyable classic. Read this book to learn practical skills in how you can more readily accept and support others in your life.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much of repetitive content . The crux of the book could have been covered in a 20 page essay
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Such a great book- it actually made me realise how different we all are. Loved it, seriously. btw, I'm definitely a Popular Sanguine mixed with other personallities :)
Raquel Sagueiro
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Con este libro aprendes a conocer a las personas que te rodean, a entender sus comportamientos y a conocerte a ti mismo. Absolutamente lo recomiendo!
Greg Frucci
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wisdom
I have found a love for understanding personalities including my own. This is the third book I have read on the subject lately, and this one is the best so far. Florence Littauer has created a fun book to read with a core message of understanding why we think and act the way we do. The most important chapter is Chapter 16 where she made me realize that she is not placing me in a "box", but allowing me to exit my Way in order to understand and accept how others are who seem so much different than ...more
Septia Kholimatussa'diah
Dibanding kesan-kesan lainnya, saya merasa paling perlu berterima kasih kpd (penulis) buku ini karena telah membantu saya memahami diri sendiri (juga orang lain) dlm pemerian sederhana namun menyeluruh. Setidaknya, dlm hal watak/kepribadian. Apakah kita termasuk Sanguinis Populer, Melankolis Sempurna, Koleris Kuat, atau Phlegmatis Damai, dapat kita temukan di sini. Senang sekali membacanya dan mengetahui ada di kotak mana saya. Kompleks tapi mudah dipahami. Banyak contoh yg dekat dgn kehidupan k ...more
I could not put this book down. I found it so intriguing, insightful and helpful. I definitely understand myself, my partner, my family and friends a little better now and hopefully will be able to tackle the difficult situations that arise a little better. It is worth a read but only if you are actually willing to accept the psychology of it all and be honest and truthful when assessing yourself. If you are not willing to be honest with yourself then don't bother picking up this book because yo ...more
Julia Hazlet
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who interacts with other people
Prefer this to other personality metrics because of the definitions - she doesn't put you in a box but recognizes we have characteristics of all four personalities. Helped me in my relationship at the time recognize certain behaviors weren't intentionally antagonizing but baseline personality characteristics. By understand myself and my partner we could work towards having more grace with each other as well as understanding how we can help each other help ourselves.
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenager!!
Shelves: must-read-book
it's really really a must-read-book!! =D

i read this book in a long long long time ago =D

there are 4 human characteristics are explained, such as Sanguin (the talkative & party lover), Melancholic (perfectionist in every thing), Choleric (the leader, influencer, & motivator), Phlegmatic (the cool & peacemaker)..

this book also provide psychology test so we can get what kind of a person who we are =D!
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference if you want to understand yourself better and understand the others around you as well. It's always good to know your strengths and weaknesses as a friend, a worker, and even as a parent. This book is indeed a plus since it also makes you look into other people's strengths and weaknesses. Knowing, understanding and appreciating other persons' personalities make working together more possible ... more peaceful.
Sally Poyzer
A real eye opener. This book explains so much about how those around us are different, not wrong! This book is so helpful in understanding yourself as well as learning how to tone down the aspects of your personality that irritate others. It also gives really practical suggestions for working with people who have a different personality.
Maybe it was her sanguine style of writing that drove me crazy, but it seems she drew far too much from her own family and self and gave very little else in way of explaining the personalities. Examples and anecdotes serve a purpose, but the book was wholly narrative. I expected a lot more content, and a little less giddiness. Was not a fan.
Sean Lifeleadership
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to EVERYONE !!! I have read it multiple times. This book has literally changed my life! I had only looked at relationships 2 dimensionally before I discovered this book with the help of
Now, not only do I have better relationships, but I have more friends & have better results at work. Thanks Florence & TEAM for guiding me out of my lonely misery. Sean
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My best friend made me read this and figure out what kind of personality I am. I forgot what type of personality I am, but I remember thinking that it really described me pretty well, and also explained why I act the way I do sometimes. I should read this again.
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple to understand as well as eyeopening as to how best see yourself and others. Although the author finds it hard not to transmit a bias, I feel the "phlegmatic" and "meloncholly" personalities might come away with a bad taste in their mouths.
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved seeing myself defined and explained. Very helpful in understanding myself and others instead of being frustrated. Four personality categories similar to the red,blue, yellow and white but based on Greek philosophy. Littauer has a great sense of humor but a bit stoic in person.
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply splendid!
Benjamin Wirtz
I had this book lent to me by a friend who highly recommended it. I will start with the good. There is good advise on how to interact and better understand different types of people. In some ways it does get you think think about aspects of yourself and others that you might not have. The problem however is that it relies so heavily on a personality quiz that really amounts to little more than pop pseudo-psychology. It groups everyone into 4 categories. ( I have long been familiar with Meyers Br ...more
Maui Rochell
When we first took the personality test, I was amazed that such thing exists. We're all composed of different personalities and these personalities have patterns on its own.

I didn't know I bought this book about the four temperaments and I just found out when I started to read it. But later on, I realized I no longer want to associate myself with these temperaments per se. It's limiting, it's boxing me. But I still continue to read for the purpose of finishing it.

Then halfway through the book,
Jason Simms
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This is such a great book that teaches you about the 4 different personality types (popular sanguine, perfect melancholy, powerful choleric, peaceful phlegmatic). I learned that I am a mixture of the choleric/melancholy personality types and that I shouldn't get mad when people are the other types do things in a manner that I wouldn't. Reading this book will teach you a lot about yourself and how to deal with others.
help u knowing ur self n understand others 3 29 Mar 13, 2015 11:46PM
Spot on! 2 8 Sep 26, 2014 07:44AM
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • LIFE
  • 1913
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • The Art of Dealing with People
  • Piano On The Beach
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude... and You Change Your Life!
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling