Start by marking “Cloudette” as Want to Read:

Cloudette

Sometimes being small can have its advantages. If you're a little cloud like Cloudette, people call you cute nicknames, and you can always find a good spot to watch the fireworks. But what about when you want to do something big, like help a giant garden grow, or make a brook babble?

This charming book gets at the heart of what it means to make a difference no matter your s
Published March 1st 2011 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cloudette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloudette

Kathryn
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An utter delight! Cloudette is a "cute little cumulus" cloud -- she is sooo charming and adorable. But, she is also small. Much smaller than the other clouds. This has certain advantages (she can always find a good view for watching fireworks, and she has a special cozy place to sleep where other clouds couldn't fit) but but she also feels rather useless. She can't help make lots of rain and storms like the big clouds can. One day, an especially bad storm blows Cloudette far away from her home. ...more
Lisa Vegan
I loved this book. It probably helps that I’ve been fascinated with clouds my entire life, and especially loved them when I was young.

But this book is so sweet, and funny and whimsical. And the illustrations are so pretty and cute, and all the little funny asides add to the story. My favorite part was the scene where Cloudette got the impression the new other “clouds” had no interest in getting to know her, but I was fond of every single page.

There is also a fine message here about how being sma
Agnė
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5

Cloudette is a super cute (and casually informative!) story about a tiny cloud that finds her purpose.

I LOVE Tom Lichtenheld's colorful cartoonish illustrations and the fact that "this book is partially made of clouds" because the water for the watercolor "was collected in a bucket during a rainstorm:"

Also, I appreciate the punny jokes and all the lovely little details. For instance, the printing code on the copyright page is a countdown “in case you want to use this book as a rocket
Scope
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
The concept of a small protagonist making a mark on the big world is a children’s lit mainstay. It makes sense – there are few situations children can better relate to than being surrounded by those that are older and bigger and wanting to do something conspicuous. Tom Lichtenheld’s charming Cloudette ably enters this territory, and will likely garner fans big and small. But mostly small.

As her name suggests, Cloudette is a cloud of the most diminutive proportions. Clearly, there are perks to be
Stefani
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Little book with big message 😊😊 Sometimes little thing can make big change, when you have effort to contribute in your environment, like the little comulus cloud doing in this book.
Gregory Walters
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
That's right, Cloudette, not Claudette. I grabbed this book for its originality in creating a new character. If talking hamsters make you cringe, Cloudette, the "cute little cumulus" could precipitate a thunderous objection. Still, I was captivated by Cloudette and her sunny disposition.

Cloudette is tiny. Sometimes that has its advantages, but Cloudette longs to do something big and important. The other bigger clouds create storm fronts, thunderstorms and enough snow to shut down school for a da
Rebecca
Tiny cloud Cloudette (the cutest puff of a cloud ever) likes all the advantages of being small (like always finding a good spot to watch fireworks), but when the important jobs of the big clouds leave her feeling left out, she finds her own small way to matter. The smallish size and many humorous asides might make this tricky to read to a group, but it'd be great one-on-one.

Mega-adorable alert. I love the cover, especially the back cover which shows Cloudette on top of the book's UPC code, with
Cindy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this picture book. Both my 4 and 9 year old enjoyed this book.

Basic theme is that no matter how small you are, you can do great things!
Tasha
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cloudette is the smallest of clouds. Usually it was just fine to be the littlest. She was called by cute nicknames, she had little friends, she was great at hiding, and she even slept in a special spot on the moon. But sometimes, she felt left out because she was so small. She couldn’t do the important work that the big clouds did, like storm fronts and rainbows. She wanted to do something big herself, but all of her big ideas didn’t work out. One day, she was blown by a storm to a new area wher ...more
Candice
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful story of what one person (or in this case, cloud) can do to make just a tiny part of the world a better place. Cloudette is a very small cloud. The other bigger clouds like her and call her endearing names. There are advantages to being small, but Cloudette doesn't feel that she can do anything important. One day she is blown away from her home and ends up in a different place where she has no friends. Fortunately, she is able to make new friends and even prove to herself and to some ...more
Barbara
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, ncbla
Most of the time, the diminutive Cloudette likes being small since her bigger cloud friends address with cute names and her size makes it possible for her to do things that the others cannot. But sometimes she wishes that she could do something big, like the others. When a blustery storm blows her to an unfamiliar area, Cloudette makes new friends and starts a little rainstorm of her own, creating a pond from a little puddle so that the frogs have water in which to play. I'm not quite sure why s ...more
Melissa
I tend to over-react against "message" books, but this one is so dang cute I just had to come around to it. My favorite part is actually at the beginning, with the list of good things about being small. Squeezing through giraffes and hiding between skyscrapers: simply adorable. The illustrations are what lifted this up for me; I have no idea how Lichtenheld makes Cloudette so expressive with so few strokes of his pen!
Becki
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a little cutie Cloudette is.

Cloudette happens to be a cumulus cloud whose only aspiration is to become a great thundering cumulonimbus cloud. Unfortunately her size will never permit it. But that won't stop her from trying to reach her potential in this funny and heartwarming tale that shows you don't have to be a big rock to make a splash. Or in this case even the smallest of clouds can still make it rain.
Mia Obiwo
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book about a little cloud that feels excluded. Good book to talk about the subject of acceptance. Can be used in science to discuss clouds. Esecially good for Kindergarten, but can be used up until 2nd grade.
Stacia Leigh
Really enjoyed this book, along with the super cute illustrations. Such a unique character...a little cloud.
Haylee
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, colorful, detailed illustrations. Adorable main character, plus you learn a little about science.
Alyson
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
In the spirit of The Little Engine That Could but with a cute cloud!
Peacegal
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully cute and sweet. An absolute delight.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anyone can make a difference.

Elisabeth
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another with the "little guys can make a big difference" theme and this was an especially sweet one. This also has big time science
tie-in/ non-fiction pairing potential.
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I sort of love this book lots, I don't think it would make a super awesome read aloud, but it is very cute and fun story about what a little cloud can do when they put their minds to it!
Audrey Ibarra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cloudette
“Sometimes being small can have its advantages. If you’re a little cloud like Cloudette, people call you cute nicknames, and you can always find a good spot to watch fireworks. But what about when you want to do something big, like help a giant garden grow, or make a brook babble? This charming book gets at the heart of what it means to make a difference no matter what size. Etc...”

I rated this book with 5 stars. I chose this book because it was one that I picked up and read in class on
Patricia McLaughlin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Meteorology for kids, featuring Cloudette, who introduces wee ones to the functions of clouds. Cumulus humilis clouds like Claudette usually indicate fair weather as depicted; however, her growth into rain-producing cumulus congestus could have been portrayed by her contracting a cold—perhaps a better metaphor for condensation—rather than holding her breath and shaking her behind. Nonetheless, Lichtenheld’s brilliant idea is well executed with an engaging story and his trademark witty, humorous, ...more
KidsBooksWorthReading
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We love when our favorite kids books are boardbooks too! Cloudette was a cloud. A very small cloud. She enjoyed being small. But once in awhile she would see all the big clouds doing their big important jobs, making rain over the land and it made her want to do big important things too. ☁ #kidsbookworthreading #kidsbook #kidsbooks #boardbook #kidlit #childrensliterature #kidsbookstagram #clouds #cloudette #tomlichtenheld
ColloquialWrtr
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom Lichtenheld’s Cloudette is an amazing book! It has incredible illustrations and an even better message to follow. Join Cloudette in her journey as she discovers that little things can have large impacts; and that no matter the situation, there is always a silver lining. This book is suitable for children of all ages. Originally sold in Storytime 3-5 as a hardcover, Cloudette has been republished as a boardbook in Boardbook 0-2 for a fraction of the price.
Kelly
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I love most about Lichtenheld's books are the little nuances...the tiny comments tucked away on the sides or in the corners.

This book has a fun story and the illustrations are great. It's about a cloud that is smaller than the other clouds, and how Cloudette wants to do the things the larger clouds do.
Theresa
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
by Tom Lichtenheld
Learning what you can do no matter how small. This little cloud found something that she could do if she only tried. Great story for building confidence and bringing kids to understand the little things they can do for others.
Cloudette is a little cloud. She is well liked by the other clouds. She lives a happy life, but she wants to do more and help in some way.

This would make a great read-aloud for young children who want to do something big, but have not found their way yet.
Richa  Singh
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From its title to the beautiful illustrations this is such a fine book. It so happened that in my story session for 5 and 6 year old children, this little first grader offered to read this book. In a child's voice the story felt so much lovelier. Quite a creative and funny book.
Tricia Gleason
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute. Nice tie in with UoI about weather because there is a little weather science that is accessible to preschool or K-1 aged students. Great for helping students feel empowered to make a difference.

• A Pet for Petunia
  • Stars
  • Blue Chicken
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Neville
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • I Had a Favorite Dress
  • Perfect Square
  • Cat Secrets
  • Otis and the Tornado
  • Chopsticks
  • Squish Rabbit
Children's book author/illustrator writes for kids who love to laugh and grown-ups who love to laugh along with them. When not making up stories and drawing silly pictures, he likes to get other people's kids all riled-up then send them home to their parents.
“Then she did what she'd wanted to do for ages.

She