Start by marking “Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much” as Want to Read:
Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much

Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much

With his extensive negotiating experience and unique presentation style, Herb Cohen is internationally renowned as someone who can quickly grasp both sides of an issue and get the most for his client out of a difficult negotiation. His advice? Simple, says Herb, I carebut not that much! In NEGOTIATE THIS!buoyed by his signature humorous and self-deprecating styleHerb Cohen ...more
Published January 6th 2006 by Business Plus (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Negotiate This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Negotiate This!

Start your review of Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much
Ivan
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quite an entertaining journey through the perils of negotiations. Herb Cohen is a smooth operator whose self-deprecation overshadows any hint of ego. His suggestion to not take negotiations too seriously, not care T-H-A-T much and to take it easy regardless of how much is at stake is a refreshing thought in this pressure-packed world. I recommend this book for anyone looking for a light introduction to the study of negotiations.

Best line: "Learning negotiation solely by reading a book is like
Jos
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-book
Herb Cohen has made his profession and reputation as a excellent negotiator, even been selected by the US president to provide council in negotiations with the US hostages in Iran and other high profile cases.

This book is a collection of thoughts, and probably of scripts of his conference speeches, as they wander from one topic to the other, including Old testament chapters.
The summary at each chapter is the essence of his knowledge he wants to part to his readers.

I will not provide all
KC
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Herb Cohen has had an extensive career representing people in a variety of negotiations. He knows his stuff, and has a good deal of wisdom to impart.

His presentation feels more like having a rambling uncle over for dinner than a textbook review. There are interesting anecdotes and examples along the way, but it was rather hard to grasp the "so what do I do if..." kinds of insights.

Perhaps that is most illustrative of the negotiation process itself, though.
Ivan Martinez
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente me reforzó mucho los principios para negociar que ya conocía y aplicó.
Tarek
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommend to... everyone. Informal, fun, and applies to everything in life.
Boniface Sindala
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teaches you how masters negotiate.
Susan Campbell
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sadly I had to stop reading this book at chapter V of XII. This is by far theee worst book I have ever read, regardless of the subject matter. I tried to push through and finish this book just because I started it. But, honestly it is a grand waste of my time.

I am happy that I read this book as far as I did though I know I will never get back my valuable time. At least now I know to stay away from Herb Cohen at all cost.

The best part of the book is the title: "Negotiate This! By caring, But not
Balearicreader
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes when I picked up this book. Maybe it is just that, the difference between my expectation and the end result, that has lead me to give such a poor rating.

This book dragged on, like a bad movie. It had the potential to really be a good book that stayed on topic, negotiation, but it turned out to be a never ending story telling like lecture consisting primarily of fillers. It was as if the author had to write a certain number of pages, and did what so many of us have done before
Cuauhtemoc
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think this is not the best of Cohen's books. He gives few tips about negotiating and a lot of tips about common sense; well, after all that might be the process of negotiation in reality. Anyway I think he has had better titles. In addition this book is to bias to the US side when he addresses international negotiation. I wanted to read a "negotiation book" not a "patriotic book".

At least for me, this is not a keeper.
Emil
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learn
If you know herb, this is a book that is in his typical style (of negotiating). And if you don't, you'll get to know him. He has a lot of good advice here. His book is not meant to be as an exhaustive course: some points are touched just like bullet points, but some ideas are well described. Some say maybe too well. It is good as a supplement to a negotiation 101 course, or as a complement to such an interest.
Matt
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. I listened to a version read by the author and that is the way to go. Mr Cohen is funny, disarming and incredibly skillful in his art form. Truly a good guide to put new perspective on situations and how to get an edge when you may not think its possible. I'll most definitely listen to this one again down the road.
Scott Stevenson
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Not completely satisfied with this book. Was more of a story-telling novel than anything. He does make a few good points about negotiating but the book in essence should only be 1/4 of the length it actually is. He even goes so far as placing a subchapter about terrorism in a chapter about raising children. Interesting.
Kurt
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cohen is the author of "Everything Is Negotiable." He's become more of a celebrity than negotiator of late. Good historical analysis of international event negotiations like the Iran hostage crises and Bill Clinton's failed mideast peace efforts.

Way too much religious analysis.
Nick
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general
I was afriad this would be identical to the author's previous book. In reality it built on the lessons from it instead. Great tips how to successfully negotiate, while using enough humor to keep the topic from feeling dry.
Asparagus
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Listened to audiobook. First half is interesting and entertaining, lots of acvice with personal stories to back up his claims. Second half is mainly pontificating and lecturing, with only a few experience to back it up. He should've ended this book earlier.
Chris
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favirote all time business book!

"If you see all problems as a nail your only solution is a hammer."-Cohen
Colleen
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Smart, poignant and practical. From the Bible to politics to show business to parenting, the author shares and captures the art to deal-making and negotiating.
Ludmila
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed very much this book. It is a easily to read book, but full of determination. After reading it I realised that being more detached brings value to yourself.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Just could not get into this one. I've tried twice, but perhaps 3rd times a charm!
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adr
Loved this book! Herb Cohen has such an entertaining writing style peppered with useful negotiating tips :) His "aww, shucks" demeanor combined with a brilliant mind for negotiating is inspiring!
Matt
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only 3 hours and well worth it. Thank you Joe C for referring this. Very entertaining speaker with a lot of experience and a lof of great east to implement strategies on negotiating.
Turaaa
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self
Good advice presented in an entertaining and interesting manner.
Melvin R.  Blann IV
On the topic of negotiation, this has been the most helpful book I’ve read.
Lawrence
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Cherie
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Simple principles with super interesting real life negotiations. I loved this book.
Adam
Apr 30, 2014 added it
Enjoying this in audio format. Mr Cohen is reading himself and he's a blast. He cares... but not t-h-a-t much. :)
Quinn
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lots of really cool stories about how he helped negotiate hostage situations. This is the other end of the spectrum from "Bargaining for Advantage". It is very low key and anecdotal.
Tony Johnson
Mar 02, 2010
Stela
Oct 31, 2013
Ryan
Jun 01, 2014

• An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
  • Staline
  • Investing 101: From Stocks and Bonds to ETFs and IPOs, an Essential Primer on Building a Profitable Portfolio
  • Le Plongeur
  • The Devil All the Time
  • Stillness Speaks
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I  (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #1 of 2)
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo II (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo #2 of 2)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin #1)
  • Les Misérables : Tome I
  • Le principe du petit pingouin : Apprenez à lâcher prise
  • Les Misérables: Volume Two
  • Bel-Ami
  • The Art of War: A New Translation by Michael Nylan
  • On Wings of Eagles
  • Principles for Success
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • The Courage to Be Disliked: How to Free Yourself, Change your Life and Achieve Real Happiness
For more than three decades, Herb Cohen has been a practicing negotiator, intimately enmeshed in some of the world’s headline dramas from hostile takeovers to hostage negotiations. His clients have included business executives, entrepreneurs, sports and theatrical agents plus large corporations - as well as governmental agencies, such as the Department of State, FBI, CIA, The US Conference of ...more