Start by marking “Category 7” as Want to Read:
Category 7

Category 7

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  344 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
A Category 4 hurricane, with winds of up to 155 miles per hour, tears roofs off buildings, smashes windows and doors, and can send floodwaters up to the second floor.  Evacuation is suggested for up to six miles inland.

Hurricane Katrina was a Category 4 when she made landfall.

Hurricane Simone is a Category 7--the biggest, strongest storm in recorded history.  When sh
Published July 10th 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Category 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Category 7

Nicole
Aug 15, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
The category 7 hurricane does not even get near New York until the last few pages. We don't get to hear what the damage was until the epilogue.
The whole book up until those pages repeats the exact same information over and over, from each character's perspective maybe 4 times each.
There were zero likable characters. Zero.
Agonizingly tedious. Schlocky descriptive sections.
Three to five different characters use the term "woo-woo" to describe conspiracy theorists.
What is up with personifying the
Heather McCubbin
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any weather fanatic
This book is written by a NY Weatherman and if you like weather especially the "twin furies of wind and water" then I highly recommend this book! You have to suspend your disbelief that weather can't be manipulated. The US and Soviet Union, back in the 50s and 60s, were in a race to control the weather. The US managed to brew up a hurricane and move the Jet Stream in the 60s through a secret government agency, which was eventually disbanded. Present Day: a very rich, powerful man is a bit disgru ...more
J.M.
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Borrowed this from my dad because it sounded interesting. However, I only managed to get halfway through. The writing is fine, there aren't any major info dumps, and there's obviously action moving the story forward. But the characters aren't likable in the least, not one of them. Each has an ulterior motive that gets old quick. There are too many different characters, as well, and the few I didn't mind weren't given enough face time on the page.

And the hurricane in the title? Well, it only sho
Robyn
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Suspend your disbelief, and cast the movie in your mind - a la "The Day after Tomorrow" -- and you'll be able enjoy this conspiracy-driven novel about weather control. Any novel with two meteorologists as its heroes rates high on the nerd-patrol scale. Also, "co-writer" Marianna Jameson obviously supplied the pseudo-military and political intrigue, while New York's star forecaster Bill Evans theorized what would happen if a major storm swept up the east coast to New York City. As long as you can ...more
Cindy
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written several years prior to Hurricane Sandy that caused untold suffering and millions of dollars in damage to the Northeast US, this book seems a prophetic vision of what could happen. The story centers around a wealthy multibillionaire that has been covertly researching storm/weather control for years. He's now stepped up the ante in an attempt to bring down the current President. There's plenty of intrigue and lots of bad guys in this story. Reading it while the country marks the 10th anniv ...more
Feenie
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
I thought it was an interesting book. Granted it is fiction, hopefully!!, it does make me wonder about what WOULD happen to NYC in case of a major hurricane.

Geoff Battle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
If you expect an action-fuelled, and somewhat low-brow, approach to disaster books then this Bill Evans novel will leave you disappointed. Yes, there is the storm of the millennium, however this slow building tale is centred around politics and science, not the storm. Based upon the science of weather control, Category 7 (a storm classification that currently only goes up to five) follows a group of businesses, some governmental, others rather shady, as they clash over weather control. There are ...more
Misha Fredericks
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It was well written and interesting though the end was unrealistic. With the amount of flooding and damage described in the book to have occurred from the Super Hurricane in NYC (including toppling over the Statue of Liberty), it was never mentioned the inevitable flooding that would have occurred at Indian Point and the very real possibility that such flooding would cause radioactive explosions and radioactive release similar to what occurred at Fukushima from flooding.
Steven Leitman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I think part of the problem is that we're expecting to see a Category 7 storm and how the characters are inside it as they try to combat it and we didn't get that. Not enough time was spent on the myriad of characters to form that emotional attachment to. It is a good bathroom read and it's premise isn't bad.
Justin Nelson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a good start-to-summer disaster thriller, perhaps even Cussler-esque. It was a disaster for sure! The most egregious part was the lack of a storm! This was way more of a sub-par political thriller than action novel. The most interesting parts were the short strom-based interludes. Also, the characters are all terrible people. You can't root for anyone! Very disappointing.
Kat
I went on a search for novels about Natural Disasters and from looking at this one, written by an Emmy Award Winning Senior meteorologist as the blurb states before anything else, I thought I'd definitely picked a winner.

Wrong.

The title of this books is Category 7: The Biggest Storm in History, yet the storm doesn't really actually happen. It builds, and we get small "chapters" from the storms POV that always seem to end with it just getting closer, but never really hitting the coast.

What I w
Ceelee Sunshine
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
OK, I admit it...I am a weather junkie! I saw meteorologist Bill Evans of Good morning America fame's book CATEGORY 7 in a book catalog I receive monthly and thought it sounded interesting. A mad scientist/former CIA agent/billionaire/presidential hopeful practicing weather manipulation on the unsuspecting public is a pretty good premise for a book. I wasn't disappointed in it but I also wasn't thrilled enough to give it five stars. I think the problem for me was there were too many characters a ...more
Patrick Gibson
There it was--facing me on the rack at Barnes & Noble. Was this published in hardback? Probably not. Hot off the paperback presses, a new ecco-disater: not eathquakes, volcanos or tidal waves, but weather. Since it is apparent weather might take us down in the not to distant future, I carrried the freshly minted paperback to the counter. In truth, I was in the mood for a diaster. Something equalling the quality of my life would be good. Category 7 didn't come close. The only thing overtly ob ...more
Matthew Herring
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
A decent book on the evils of manipulating the weather. I could see Roland Emmerich getting his hands on this and making another big budget CGI lovefest, complete with the requisite shots of the White House getting demolished. That guy really hates the White House... But I digress. The action moved along well when there was any description of the hurricane, but much like the central storm, the narrative stalls frequently as the author tries to put his knowledge of meteorology into layman's terms ...more
LibraryCin

A meteorologist, Carter, has been doing secret research for years to try to manipulate the weather... and he has succeeded. When he decides to brew up a storm – the biggest one ever seen, really – he wants it to end up in New York City.

It wasn't what I expected. I expected the storm to hit and the book to be about that. So... it was much slower than I was hoping. Most of the book was actually the build up to the storm and trying to stop it, not really the storm itself. That being said,
Karen Ball
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
***Adult book!*** We'll be placing this in the adult section of the library as it does have adult content. However, the descriptions of the hurricanes and storms were really interesting, and I thought the sci-fi part of how the hurricanes could be intensified through human intervention was amazing. Great job, Bill! We are really lucky because they are working on a young adult version of this story (hopefully out in a year or two). Found that out when I met OG resident Bill at his book signing at ...more
Dave Moore
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was not a poorly executed novel,and the italicized portions that served to personify the storm are extremely well crafted. My only disappointment, (and the reason I gave it just 2 stars), is that I wish more had been offered concerning the science of 'super-storms'. Michael Chrichton taught us a bit about Quantum Mechanics (Timeline), nano-technology (Prey), DNA manipulation (Jurassic Park), etc.
Bill Evans is a well known and qualified meteorologist. He could have delved a bit deeper into t
Jennifer Wardrip
CATEGORY 7 is an enjoyable weather-based thriller, although it took me awhile to get into the story, due to all of the unfamiliar terms. Once I got through it, though, I found myself immersed in the story.

The basics: a meglomaniac decides to take revenge on the President by using his creation, the ability to control the weather, to send a massive Category 7 hurricane towards New York City. Panic and devastation ensue, and it's up to a small-town weather reporter and a CIA operative to stop both
Lesli
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fiction
I like disaster novels; and I like bad disaster movies (Sharknado, anyone?). This book seems to combine the worst of both and cram them into an entertaining though completely implausible plot.

Take equal parts monster hurricane, psychotic narcissist, bigoted Southern "gentleman," and plucky but broken female lead mix with a flat supporting cast...and you get this book. This science is sort of interesting...at least for an armchair weather nerd that doesn't really follow the science. I think it's
Omar
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
No me gusto este libro tarde casi un año en leerlo, y lo termine de leer por remordimiento a dejar un libro incompleto. Es aburrido, el desastre natural aparece mas allá de la mitad de la lectura, y el final completamente inesperado y poco convincente. El que lo quiera leer bienaventurado sea!!!

I did not like this book almost one year late in reading it, and finish reading remorse leave an incomplete book. It's boring, it displayed natural disaster beyond the middle of reading, and completely un
Mark Bordner
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.

It was realistic, entertaining, and easy to understand thanks to the author's skill in explaining the technical jargon in a way that the layman can grasp.

Great flow, and characters that were likable, even the bad guys.

With all of the threats to modern society, war and terrorism merge with super-science as our own planet's weather is turned against us. A zesty mesh of intrigue to spice up the science fiction aspect.

Well done, Mr. Evans.
Sharon
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Bill Evans is a meteorologist in real life. I read his latest book Dry Ice and enjoyed it so much I thought I'd read Category 7 and was not disappointed. Category 7 refers to a hurricane that is purported to be man-made. If you're fascinated by disaster and weather stories, you'll enjoy this fictional story.
Stacy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am a big Bill Evans fan, but I didn't enjoy this book. It's far too technical & scientific for the average person who isn't a weather fanatic. The book didn't get good until the last 75 pages or so and by that point I had really pushed myself to read it. There is no character growth and it's hard to like most of the characters. They are very flat. Unless you're a weather junkie, don't bother!
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I know this book is fiction but it scared me. I never thought the government would ever be able to control the weather. So many lives and homes being destroyed but they don't care because the companies that come in and clean up after hurricanes make so much money. I think more people should read this book. I hope Bill Evans writes another one too.
Tracy
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book but it reminded me of State of Fear by Michael Crichton. I'm not crazy about reading books that remind me of something else because it feels like the author may have copied what another author wrote about. That aside it was a little slow at first but the last quarter of the book was quite a page turner.
Ian Sirota
I'm now about 210 pages in. After some tough slogging (pardon the pun), the book has picked up in interest and action. I agree with another review that I read, though, which stated something to the effect that the storm (despite being the "headline" of the book) seems to be a relatively minor aspect of it to this point.
Wanda
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
The American psyche and popular fiction hves been forever changed by 9/11 and Katrina. This disaster novel is anchored in modern meteorology and plays with the concept of global eco-terrorism where weather is manipulated by an evil genius with a vendetta. This book failed to deliver on an intriguing concept. I hope the sequel promised in the last paragraph can do better.
Wendy Dawn
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A thriller of a different ilk. Think there is no such thing as a catagory 7 hurricane, think again. Then, think back on the greatest natural and man-made devistation known to the U.S. and realize the situation just took a turn for the worst.

Interesting, intriguing. New subject matter for a thriller of this type.
Jessica Welch
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. The science is laughable. If you're expecting a disaster novel, it doesn't quite reach that level in my opinion. Finally, I didn't find a single character sympathetic enough to care what happened to him or her. There are plot holes and questions left unanswered. I finished this book out of stubbornness.
Danna
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's another from a Vegas airport bookstore; this time, it's a political and weather science thriller. Zippety doo dah! I've found a new two-author team to follow when I'm looking for a quick read. (I also think I've had enough snacks to kick off the '09 reading list; time to delve into main course material.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Watch Me
  • Outbreak
  • The Ultimate Escape (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #4)
  • Pandora's Clock
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • The Campfire Collection (Goosebumps)
  • Daunting Days of Winter (The Kyle Tait Series)
  • Rebels Divided (Rebel #3)
  • The Case of the Raging Rottweiler (Hank the Cowdog, #36)
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • Brokenclaw (John Gardner's Bond, #10)
  • Terminally Beautiful
  • Cast in Angelfire (Mage Craft, #1)
  • The Cutout
  • Women on the Case
  • Under Vanishing Skies
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
Bill Evans is a multiple Emmy Award-winning, nationally-renowned senior meteorologist. He has appeared on Good Morning America and Live! with Regis and Kelly. Evans has received the Outstanding Meteorologist Award from the National Weather Service and has hosted the National Hurricane Conference. Bill Evans and his family live in Connecticut.
More about Bill H. Evans

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand