Start by marking “The Ending of Time” as Want to Read:
The Ending of Time

The Ending of Time

This very important work offers penetrating dialogues between the great spiritual leader and the renowned physicist that shed light on the fundamental nature of existence. Krishnamurti and David Bohm probe such questions as ‘why has humanity made thought so important in every aspect of life? How does one cleanse the mind of the ‘accumulation of time’ and break the ‘pattern ...more
Published May 1st 1985 by HarperOne (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Ending of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ending of Time

Start your review of The Ending of Time
Timothy Warnock
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dialogs between David Bohm and J. Krishnamurti, enjoyable and provoking on the nature of thought, consciousness, and time. A central theme is the suggestion that humanity took a wrong turn in its history, leading to the present day sorrow, conflict, and war.

I couldn't help but to feel this is an erroneous presupposition, while tempting, it seems to necessarily lead to the very desire and becoming that both Bohm and Krishnamurti are speaking against-- a psychological becoming where humanity may
Angela
Jan 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Unstructured smatterings of thoughts between two people, only one of which can actually explain or formulate appropriate ideas. The book is effectively JK sprouting his spiritual prowess and the frivolity of mankind through arm movements and gesticulations (formalized as "do you know what I mean?" in writing) and then DB translating into actual concepts. Dialogues occasionally broken by random N character who misses the mark by a mile.

Only managed half way through this before giving up. Some
Charles
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
The ending of time comes when we realize that time cannot end. This dialogue is a philosophical masterpiece between two of the greatest minds of our 'time'.
Andrei Ștefănucă
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book offers a lot of insight on the inner workings of the mind, the conscience, the relationship between them and between them and the universal mind and conscience. A great read for anyone interested in revealing answers to those big questions that everyone of us asks from time to time, regarding life, the universe and whatever is in between.
Andrei Illes
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If one is really really aware when reading this book and reads the book with an open mind, he may get a grasp of what the speakers are trying to transmit towards the readers. I think it's essential to have a try, beside of what your believs currently are.
Noe Nieto
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The dialogues between David Bohm and Jiddu krishnamurti are one of the most provoking books i've read. They really honor the word "dialoge" and very cautiously avoid any of the traps that thought uses to give itself continuity without givin chance to Unitary Perception.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting dialog between two individuals from fields that are poles apart, at times incomprehensible, ultimately posing more questions than answering them.
Cyberpayanee
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This dialogue has unsuspected depths, not in the usual sense of the word "depth" but almost opens perceptions to milky way and beyond, if one doesnt pull back in fear. The vista is beyond conceptual understanding, you can only stay silently with the understanding for brief period - mind doesnot want to fully go along. However, This clears the confusion for a while like benediction and dissolves some basic blocks, imperceptably. You get a glimpse of what sages say about "do absolutely nothing, ...more
Elizabeth Doran
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Dattatreya Siva Baba
This book is a disscussion between two great minds a physicist and a spiritual leader. They are talking about the nature of reality. The book discusses how humanity took a wrong turn and how to bring about true and lasting peace.
I am interested in learnig how to stay present. I would reccomend reading the Power of Now by Echart Tolle and then reading this book which goes into the nature of time. J. krishnamurti believed that we are all one. But what does that mean? in this book these two men
Parminder
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
It is one of the better books by K.
It truly explores the working of human mind and how it is limited by psychological time .
Its chapters about insight are remarkable .
Charlie Mcallister
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: always-reading
every time i pick this book up, i learn something new.
Bryan
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of his last and most succinct works with physicist David Bohm. K himself said if you are going to read him start with this book and go backwards. I have to agree.
Mona Prajapati
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
one of my favourite book!!
James
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a current student/practitioner of Dialogue, I have some reservations with this book. I waffled from 3-5 stars throughout the "dialogue".

Krishnamurti and Bohm discuss and debate, and at times Dialogue about cosmology, epistemology and all the existential issues therein from the perspective that humans have "taken a wrong turn at some time". They ask questions of how do we realize the true nature of ourselves that is not in the act of becoming. There is a chasm here that they struggle to find
Persephone Abbott
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
My zumba classmate inspected the book I held between my hands. “Krishnamurti,” she sighed. Class hadn’t yet begun. My zumba classmate is about 70 years old, I am guessing, and the zumba class is more of a salsa bump. “A bit before my time,” I said. “You don’t know who he was?” she asked. “No,” I replied.

I eyed the book suspiciously. Youtubing Krishnamurti was more interesting than reading the conversation presented in this book. An impoverished Brahmin who had been raised by a few English
Nicholas
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
The 'time' in question is what the participants in this series of conversations refer to as 'psychological time', that is, the habitually created illusion of the self that is in a perpetual struggle for improvement, motivated through illusions created by desire,hope and fear.
Various topics surrounding mans inability to let go of his illusory self, and relieve himself from suffering are approached from different angles. It took me 200 pages till the ideas started to resonate and I could relate
Zeuskronos
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book can really take it out of you. A times hard to keep up but once you get rid of the clutter in your mind and make space for some powerful philosophy, magic happens!
Rah~ri
Got 1/2 way through at one point
be nice to reread and maybe finish sometime
one of those books i always mean to get back to
enjoyed the discussions so far

Soon : )

more time to read.

Bradley
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academia, philosophy
Fi Read with Fi
Seyed
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting discussion about the source of human misery. David Bohm exhibits the kind of patience and commitment to dialogue that I would like to emulate in myself. His conceptualisation helped make sense of Krishnamurti's rambling "ideas." The ideas themselves were modest but reflective of a certain point of view which is prevalent in the spiritualist and untrained philosophical. I enjoyed this book as a reflective exercise and as an incentive for pursuing my own philosophical training ...more
Vikram X
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is an unhinged conversation between an ageing Krishnamurthy and David Bohm regarding the nature of thought and breaking from preconceived patterns which hold the mind a prisoner to the need for identification with something larger i.e. race / religion / nations / favorite soccer team or any form of glorified tribal manifestation.
Problem with the conversationalist format is they end up going in circles and sometimes loose track of the original question; especially Krishnamurthy.
Ravi Sharma
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ending of time comes when we realize that time cannot end.This dialog is one of only of this kind. I have read JK other books but there were gaps because JK is too raw to understand. But i am amazed how D.Bohm is understanding everything what JK speaking.

“This conditioning around the self-centered thought is really an enslavement, an enslavement to absurdity, to destruction, to unhappiness, sorrow; and no other
Leif Persson
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It doesn't get any better than this in my opinion. The very clear thinking of David Bohm in conversation with the truth in the shape of Krishnamurti. Read and listen carefully, it's all in there.
Mark Wagnon
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deep 'Quantum' Dialogue is an Artform. Exposing false assumptions without judgment... For judgment leads immediately to 'separation thinking', or 'fragmentation' of the whole.
Maxime Ferland
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To sad most people wont understand what he is pointing at. Shit happens
Stephen Monroe Monroe
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, and the final two chapters in the conclusion/epilogue were the best parts. The book makes me wish I'd been at the lectures in person and been able to meet these two and shake their hands.
Michelle M
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really interesting to me. I was reading a lot of neuroscience articles at the same time and research that they are doing now is proving a lot of the things they talk about for meditation and compassion. Krishnamurti has a way of making me feel what he is talking about and I love that also. The two of them together really push each other to the next level. If you are interested in physics and psychology or just wanting to go a bit deeper into thought, you may enjoy this book
Sharang Limaye
This is very dense stuff. The fault lies with the publishers who give no notice of the fact that the uninitiated should not begin with this book. Once in several pages a passage tends to grip you (even the uninitiated). But such instances are just too rare. For the most part, its as meaningless as medieval voodoo. Certainly won't win any new followers for JK.
John Dee
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where physics and philosophy meet.. The book when understood completely, expounds the physics in philosophy and the philosophy in physics. Please read the wholeness and the implicate order too by Bohm to understand the philosophy of quantum theory.
What do you think Krishnamurti is getting at? 2 9 Jul 29, 2018 10:24AM

• World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech
  • The Gospel According to Jesus Christ
  • The Laws of Human Nature
  • Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: The Buddha's Teachings on Voidness
  • The Confessions of Nat Turner
  • The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
  • The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety
  • The Saint Of Baghdad (CJ Brink #1)
  • City Folk and Country Folk
  • L'ordine del tempo
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
  • The Four Horsemen: The Conversation That Sparked an Atheist Revolution
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • One Thousand Moons: Krishnamurti at Eighty-Five
  • The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • I Am a Strange Loop
  • The Diary of a Superfluous Man and Other Stories
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more