Start by marking “The Year of Past Things” as Want to Read:
The Year of Past Things

The Year of Past Things

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Phil Randazzo, owner of the trendy Tasso Restaurant in New Orleans, is being haunted and he's not at all happy about it. Strange supernatural events are taking place in the home he shares with his new wife, Michelle. Michelle's late husband, the legendary Cajun musician A. P. Savoie, begins to appear at will and inhabit everyday objects. As Savoie's presence grows stronger ...more
Published January 10th 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Joan
This was stunningly good. Deep and thoughtful and with some great moments that had me in tears. My only quibble is that I downloaded it as: "Ghost in the Bedroom",(which doesn't appear on GR) and yet it seems to have several titles which I find not only confusing but also irritating.

However, that does not detract from the beauty of this novel. The beginning is a little slow, and the reader is left to work things out for themselves, (far more preferable to the usual 'info-dump' beloved by some au
Mark
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's a book review on M.A. Harper's novel, "Louisiana Ghost Story." It's available on Kindle. Annette and I have been friends for many years. Her writing is amazing!

In an era that pours out zombie or vampire stories du jour, it's refreshing to sit down and read an old-fashioned ghost story. Much like sitting at an old wooden bar and imbibing traditional cocktails with a twist of lime or onions or olives rather than sugary swill while suffering on an over-crowded cruise.

Traditional cocktails a
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
When New Orleans chef Phil Randazzo married Michelle, a widow with two children, he knew he would be taking on the role of stepfather. He didn't realize, however, that the ghost of Michelle's former husband, musician A.P. Savoie, would be a part of their relationship, also, both figuratively and literally. A.P. and Michelle had had a very rocky relationship, until the last few years before he died, when things finally seemed to be working out between them. Then A.P. was killed in a car accident, ...more
Mikki
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it SO much!

I loved this book, #3 in the Jolie Blonde series, just as I loved the two before it. Loved the setting, New Orleans, as well as the characters, some from the previous book, along with some new ones. The writing flows so smoothly and the story line and the people are captivating. Did not want to put it down. The writer handled the supernatural aspects in a believable manner, and I eapecially enjoyed the interactions with the Psychic. I highly recommend reading the 3 books in sequ
Kathy Bryson
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillip and Michelle married to start over as much as because they were in love, but the past isn’t that easy to leave behind. Bad dreams and odd visions may be the stuff of legend in New Orleans, but they’re becoming a constant reminder to Phillip of Michelle’s 1st husband, killed in an auto accident just 2 years earlier. A chilling ghost story, this is also an exploration of what it means to survive and forgive in relationships and life. Ultimately a love story on many levels, not just Phillip ...more
Rachel
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, bubbling feelings of anxiety and tension, unease always simmering below the surface. All the things I look for in a ghost story. Highly appreciate the author's deft hand with description and character development. Also, while there is some sexual content and adult language, it doesn't leave me offended and feeling assaulted by tactless smut. This is what modern literature is all about. Read it!
Kim
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This wasn't the kind of ghost story I was expecting. It was, however, a story of love, family, and the attachment we have to those who have passed. The story kept me interested from start to finish, and the ending was totally unexpected. The characters were all believable. You cared about them, and anticipated their actions. I would recommend this book to my friends.
Rachel May
Jun 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything written where it is set in Louisiana. Throw in a ghost and best book for me. However this book was just plain confusing, snore fest, it ended with me not understanding the point of this book. So many little things "wrong" with the plot. But I am a reader where I read through to the end and finish. This one, I should have stopped.
Rose
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a lover of all things New Orleanian and of food/restaurants, but not at all of the supernatural, nevertheless I really liked this book. I cared about the characters and New Orleans was so recognizable.
MaryJane Rings
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I thought the book was more about a grieving family getting beyond the guilt and family dynamics of losing a husband and father and the transition of being able to accept what had happened, establish good memories and to move on to new experiences and an extended family.
Dawno
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a native New Orleanian, I loved all of the accurate references to all things local to the city...MA obviously knows us well. Loved the plot and enjoyed the positive nature of the supernatural occurrences.
Diane
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I rather enjoyed this book even though I don't usually read ghost stories. And speaking of which ...the title I read this under was "Louisiana Ghost Story." Confused when I searched for that title and this came up, but the synopsis was right. I guess a title change happened....
Leshea Avery
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot, well-developed characters and a smashing good ending. I loved the interplay between Michelle, Phil, & the ghost. I came to care about them and their family. Excellent mystery with supernatural element. Good story about blended families!
Celiajayne
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a ghost story to get the adrenaline pumping. But there's also a story about a couple starting thier second marriage and learning how to do it right.
Alto2
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it
The perfect prelude to our annual trip to New Orleans for Jazzfest. A very good ghost story expanded into novel form.
Lisa McDowell
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense

I couldn't stop reading this book. grabbed my attention and held on. even though it was sad I enjoyed it.
Samantha
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Interesting but confused about the name change & indication it was 2 in a trilogy - no 1 written after & the third being written...nice conclusive ending though
Johnna
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow in places and but when it gets rolling, a very enjoyable read!
Kelly
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about paranormal events set in New Orleans. At times you have to think about what the author is trying to get you to think about for the afterlife.
Tonya
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a scary ghost story at all. Very good story line! Enjoyed the book a lot !
Kimmi Bailey
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Wow! What a great read. Loved it.
Denise
May 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: modernfiction
I was intrigued by the premise of a modern ghost story set in New Orleans. While the book does include the local color of the New Orleans restaurant scene, many locations in the city and annual events like Mardi Gras, it seemed that the author is merely sprinkling these details and events about the book in a forced way to make New Orleans a part of the story.

I was hoping for a genuinely spooky story of a modern haunting and got a book that was more about the problems faced by a newly hitched mi
Amy
Crystal Rafuse
This book was great... up until the ending! I have to say, I was very disappointed in the conclusion of this book. Everything happened so fast I am still trying to wrap my head around it! I just feel like there was so much more that could have been done with the chemistry between Michelle and Phil, and Renea, and the restaurant, and A.P.'s character, and the coroner, and the exorcism... uh! It's maddening how good this could have been! I think I'm just feeling a little cheated here. Read so many ...more
J.b.
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
A touching ghost story. Nicely written. The author has a good voice for prose. Setting is nice (New Orleans). Although I really liked the plot, I was disappointed in the weak ending. I felt the character arcs of the two protagonists never quite reached the zenith readers come to expect when reading a book that tests its characters.
Swanbender2001
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an okay story about love and loss and figuring out life afterwards with new loves. I didn't really allow myself to get too wrapped up in any one character or settled too deeply into the story and I am unsure if that was the writer's inability to draw me in or all the goings on in my life at the moment.
Sue
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this much more than I initially expected to...probably because I was reading most of it on the way to/from New Orleans and had just been in many of the places the author mentions. Not the deepest read but still very entertaining.
Judy A. Ptacek
Oct 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let down

I was expecting ghost story but could not keep on reading. I did not like the cuss words either. The book description sounded interesting but the story was wordy and boring.
Suzie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story. Well written, moves along nicely, but then it just ends. This is probably the most disatisfying ending I've ever read. I absolutely hated it! I'm going to read the last chapter again to see if it's just me.
Juyey
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have rated higher but the ending felt rushed and confusing. The rest of the boom intrigued me, I feel disappointed with how it ended.
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)
  • Between Seasons
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • Natalie's Revenge (Frank Renzi, #3)
  • A Highlander In Her Past (MacKay Clan, #3)
  • Dark Bayou (Dark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Company You Keep (Kendra Clayton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Map of Moments (Hidden Cities, #2)
  • A Girl, A Guy and A Ghost
  • The Grey Tier: A Dead Celeb Mystery
  • A Dyeing Shame (Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Enchanted Moon (Moon Magick, #2)
  • Baehrly Breathing (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears, #1)
  • Fancy Gap
  • Any Port in a Storm (A Jolie Gentil Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • Killer Image (Art Gallery Mystery Series #1)
M. A. Harper drew pictures all during her childhood and was pretty good at it, but none of them seemed complete without a caption. When she went to Tulane University to study art, her professors praised her technical ability but labeled her an "illustrator". Wrong. She was really a novelist. Her books have been named to the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers program as well as the BookS ...more
More about M.A. Harper...