Jump to ratings and reviews
Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, but Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons. Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware that she's a Guardian-a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. When she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers. But Bran has a secret that can ruin their growing relationship, and the truth she discovers may destroy everything she believes in unless she finds the right balance between love and sacrifice.

272 pages, Paperback

First published August 22, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ednah Walters

40 books2,153 followers
Her award-winning, International Bestselling YA Paranormal Romance—Runes Series—started with Runes and has a total of 6 books to date. The last one, Witches, released in March 2015, was a Readers Choice Awards winner. Her most recent addition is Demons, A Runes Companion Novel (Eirik Book 1). Demons is the story of Raines best friend and former crush Eirik Seville.
Her international bestselling YA Urban Fantasy series, The Guardian Legacy Series, focuses on the Nephilim, children of the fallen angels. The series started with Awakened and has a total of 4 books to date. The latest Forgotten was released in June 2015.
She also writes Contemporary Romance as E.B. Walters-from The Fitzgerald Family series and Infinitus Billionaires series.

Whether she’s writing about Valkyries, Norns, and Grimnirs, or Guardians, Demons, and Archangels, love, family, and friendship play crucial roles in all her books.

If you enjoyed reading her books, please consider leaving a review. Reviews can make a difference in the ranking of a book.

To be updated on more Runes exclusives, the next book in Eirik's story, giveaways, teasers, and deleted scenes, join her newsletter.

For the discussion about the series, join her private page on FB: http://bit.ly/EdnahsEliteValkyries

or Stop by my website for a visit:

Or join the discussion about the series:

You can also find her on Tumblr,
Pinterest http://bit.ly/EdnaWPinterest
Instagram http://bit.ly/EdnahW-Instagram
 photo AllRUNEStitles2.jpg

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
95 (4%)
1 star
86 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 241 reviews
Profile Image for ~Tina~.
1,092 reviews159 followers
February 26, 2011
TBR Reduce Challenge #12- 2011 (Alexa)

First off, I'm gonna push aside the fact that the first chapter was a little to sudden and it seemed to jump right into the storyline. It felt like it was missing a chapter or two and as a reader I wasn't prepared for the setup to the plot structure.
But, that's the only thing that bothered me about this book.
The rest, I really just loved!

Ednah Walters pens a fascinating unique story in Awakened.
This is very detailed stuff and has many different elements that work within the story. Mythology, the Four Elements (water, fire, earth, wind) and Angel/Demon lore are intricately well crafted in the plot while suspense and romance are also added to give readers an amazing look into this world and the eyes of these characters.

The storyline is very action packed and absolutely fascinating. Such a great concept, these are some of the beings you'll meet or mentioned in the story; Xenith, Hermonites, Guardians, Neteru, Werenephil, Nosferatu, Souled Demons, Nephling and the Nature Benders.
I got a real kick out of the training and the the history of it all. Very cool stuff. I've always been intrigued with Angel lore and thought this would be the same old same old, but I was pleasantly surprised how different this one felt among the others. This was very plot driven, which I'm a little shocked about since I was expecting more romance then anything else. Not the case for this book, while it does have a swoon-worthy romance, it's not the focus of the storyline which was very refreshing.

Sure, it still has your standard MC (Lil) who just realized that's she's so much more then she thought she was and she's finally in on the big family secret now that she's turned sixteen. She's never been kissed and never had the opportunity to have any normal teenage experiences since she moves around so much. But, she's totally kick-ass! She's quick to fall for our hero, Bran, but it's done in a leashed pace instead of something that was just jumped into. There is attraction first, then chemistry later, which is what makes it feel more believable.
Bran is our mysterious hero, (he'd be the gorgeous creature with delicious abs on the cover) he has a very natural presence and a great personality. I love when he calls Lil, Sunshine and some of the scenes were really very sweet and nicely done. The mountain scene gets a shout out.
There are also many secondary characters that brought a lot of animation to their roles, each of them are very well developed. I don't know why but I didn't care very much for Lil's normal friends but I really loved the other Guardians, Izzy, Kim, Remy and Sykes, loved there sense of teamwork and friendship. Even her grandfather was cool, I liked his skills and kindness.

Bottom line, I kinda loved this one. It's gripping and exciting and even though it was a lot to take in at times it's not hard to follow. It never felt fake and the writing was well done and impressive.
Maybe I'm easy and bias when it comes to this lore, since I can't seem to get enough, but this is definitely one Angel series I can't wait to continue!

Well done!
Profile Image for Ariana.
936 reviews1,299 followers
December 13, 2014

As I said, books with 'almost naked teenagers' on the cover are not my type at all, but now I am glad that I didn't mind that when I've decided to read this novel.

From time to time I find a book that I really-really like, with some characters that I really-really love, and this is one of those. From the first page I got hooked up by this story, and I felt a connection with the main character Lil, because she is so sweet and funny, it's a pleasure to hear her story.

I also fell in love with Bran, the mysterious "ghost" that keeps talking in her mind, who is not perfect and has some background that might ruin whatever is building between them through the story, but who is just perfect enough for Lil.. Sweet, funny, caring, with a great sense of humor and with a touch of a mystery in his life. Their story unfolds in a natural way, slowly from the first page to the last one, and this makes it seem more real to me, I had enough time to care about them and to be happy for them when they were together. And the scene from the beginning is so much fun, I kept laughing and knew from that point that this book is gonna be a "5 stars" and they didn't disappointed me after that.

It's also great that the secondary characters are pretty well developed. I liked a lot Lil's grandpa who is such a great character, and has such an important part in the story. He is always there for her, giving her answers about everything, and even though he kept some things from her to protect her, I think that he always made the right choice when it came to Lil. Reading the synopsis I thought that his disappearance will happen earlier in the story, but I was glad to see more of him into the book before that happened, because I got the chance to really know him and understand him.

Even though I didn't particularly find that Sykes would be a good match for Lil (as I read in so many reviews), I liked him very much too.. I liked the way he and Lil flirted more in a friendly way (I had such a friend when I was a teenager, maybe that's way I always saw him only as a friend). All the trainees were nicely developed and I enjoyed reading about them all getting closer, and trying to help one another. I liked the way Kim changed her attitude through the story, and I understood her very well.

I should also mention the 'humans' too, because Lil is not antisocial as many other teens in YA book, and she cares for them, she gets attached to them (a heroine should probably never get attached, but this makes it all more interesting right? ), and tries to help them when needed. I liked those girls too.

This book is also full of surprises, and sweet moments (I must confess I didn't particularly liked the "wings" moment which seemed kind of twilight-ish for my taste, but it was also kind of sweet and nicely done). After the last book I've read, this one seemed very well written, I don't know if the comparison made it look like this but I really enjoyed reading this story. Also I must say that I found some similarities with the book "Beautiful Creatures".. you know the girl with powers, the boy with a secret of his own, talking via telepathy, the uncle/grandpa thing, some secrets about the parents.. it all screamed "we look the same!" but this story in my opinion was better in so many ways.

All in one, I loved this book, it was fun, interesting and I can't wait for the sequel.
A 'goodread' indeed :D

This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________
Profile Image for Kathy.
2,741 reviews5,978 followers
December 4, 2013
When originally given the chance to review this book I turned it down. I took one look at this cover and dismissed the book. I really had no desire to read it thinking it was likely going to have content I'd find objectionable.

However over the past year or so I've had many interactions with author Ednah Walters. A recent plea for me to review the sequel to this book opened a line of discussion in which I was assured there wasn't anything really objectionable in this book so I agreed to read it.

They say don't judge a book by it's cover and for me that applies to Awakened. My initial judgement of this book based on the cover was far from accurate. Other than a couple mild swear words there wasn't anything objectionable in this book. In fact it was far cleaner than most of the young adult books I've read lately.

I found the mythology of the Xenithians and Hermonites to be both unique and intriguing. The glossary of terms, characters and lineage at the beginning of the book came in handy more than once as the story unfolded. I'd expected this book to be more romance than anything else but the romance was just a part of the story line. This book was a fast paced good verses evil tale that was full of great characters and relationships. I will definitely be picking up the next book Betrayed.

Rating; 4 Stars - Great Book

Content: Cleaner than most YA I've read lately - just a little mild language

Source: From Author for Review
Profile Image for Kai.
407 reviews128 followers
September 12, 2010
Full review at: Amaterasu Reads

I tend to shy away from YA Paranormal since I'm still recovering from reading paranormal romances even before I crossed to the YA genre, so I always am skeptical to try new books. Boy, this book just made me enjoy YA paranormal again!

How do I begin my review of this book? I'm not really sure, because this impressed me so much. The plot development is solid. Eventually you'll have questions as you go along (like who are the Nephilim? what are they?) and I have to admit that I thought I was going to have a hard time remembering the terms used since there were so many at the first few pages, but Ednah was able to explain everything clearly. The questions are eventually answered one by one, and the story flow is smooth.

The way Ednah wrote about Lil and her life as a gypsy is so vivid, I can just picture it in my head, clear as a bright summer day, the setting, where she lives, how she is as a person. You think it'll be difficult to imagine a world where Demons and Nephilims exist? Not in this book.

Ednah gave life the Angels and Demons, the battle between Good and Evil in a crafty way that will get you hooked from the first page! I did get hooked, right after I read the first four pages. There were a healthy amount of action scenes that made the read more engaging, and of course the twists and turns and surprises you come across that there isn't a dull moment while you're reading!

There are countless of books about Angels and Demons out there, but for me this was one of a kind, definitely one of the most refreshing YA paranormal books I've read so far. I'm definitely re-reading this once I have the time.

I'm also looking forward to the next book in the series! I wonder when it'll be released?
Profile Image for Katrina.
920 reviews64 followers
November 7, 2010
Arc review !!

Mind dazzling !!
First thoughts the cover looks fantastic!! Definetly drew me in.
When you intially read Angels and Demons you invisage a plot, but I can guarantee this book is not like any other. There are varities of books in this genre out there but Awakened was definelty one of a kind. It will Awaken something new In what you would never expect. The characters and story line I found instant connection with, the descriptions unforgettable, and all the personalities unique. The concept of the book was alone memorable. Differnt from any other novel I have read.
Chaper one was a great start to the series, flowed well and gave you the basics you needed to start. The terminology-glossary in the front of the book most helpful if you found one of the terms in the book you was unsure of you could just turn to this page, very detailed and I think a great idea.
Once Lil turned 16 her life changed, a charming, sexy, headstrong and assertive, yet-secertive young man entered her life, her life changed. His assertivness came across quiet cocky, but once you read the book it will all make sense, very straight to the point what he says - goes ! . Lil is a very emotional 16 year old her life has gone from being what she thought it was to something completely differnt,a differnt world from the world she thought she lived in . She has lots of love to give yet very set on her morals and her ways. She finds herself making choices she would never have thought she would ever have to make and sometimes it made you wander if they were right, but it all worked out in the end. This is where Ednah Walters kept us in suspense, I found myself in certain parts wandering where she was going and then gob smacked to new additions throughout the book. Lil did things Despite the consquences her loyalty and love came first no matter what the outcome.
Awakened kept me intrigued the entire book, suspense drawing me in, page by page, Bran and Lils life and the life of the guardians is not yet completed there is so much more to come. The book ended, and I didnt find myself hanging off a cliff in suspense or thinking it halted mid story, Ednah left room for more and room for speculation. Any reader will find themselves wandering whats next !! I was happy with the way in which Ednah Walters ended it. I will be adding this book to my shelf to be re-read in the future and I must say I eagerly await the next book in ** The Guardian Legacy Series!!! ** Will good over rule evil in book 2 ??
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Rogier.
218 reviews91 followers
August 29, 2011
this is long overdue lol

My toughts:

Bookcover:. Wats wrong with this cover? Nothing . This cover looks intense. (The dude is bran btw.) Huge wings, lol.

Book:
The prologue was really good , The synopsis intrigued me like a great synopsis should . We get to meet lil falcon and bran immediately. (I had the tendency to read little falcon instead of lil falcon trough the first chapters but later I got used to her name.)

Lil accepted who she was and did not hide her gypsy heritage, that was cool. I loved that she was a good friend to her friends. Most of all Not a WHINY lass.

Sykes and Remy , two of the side characters who acted immature , and funny and are witty. And enjoying like brothers towards lil, but loved her as a sis.what do you expect from teenage brothers there annoying lol. The other side characters were really enjoyable and needed to create a wonderful tale. Grandpa, Izyy, Kim and others

The romance is brief in all the action . It not gagging for a boy . Lets me honest Boys don’t read as as girls . With romance all most non existent . Lil and bran felt like real people , real teens. And have to say Bran is the perfect gentlemen , although grandpa was a bit hesitant , I can imagine he only has her left , you will find out why if u read it
Found a song that fits with a beloved scene of this book, for those who read it its the mountain scene at night ,the first date.
It’s from lady antebellum , just a kiss
The fighting scenes were Amazing , was on the edge of my seat , the tempo was good not to quickly but did not drag at all. Sadly did not find a good song for those scenes

The bad guys were bad/evil but I felt like there was some good somewhere. You will find out a lot of family history and a lot of question will be stirred upp.
Got book for two as a gift from Ednah Walters, will read it soon and review it
Gave this book a 5 Stars out of 5
this was posted at roro is reading.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Yelania Nightwalker.
1,058 reviews163 followers
April 20, 2011
I should post this review since December ... but the truth is that even today I still don't know what to say except that I loved it!

The first thing that struck me was the writing of the author, the story caught me beyond belief, I would not even put the book down at all. Lil lives alone with her grandfather, are gypsies, and she has seen some strange things with him, but is not prepared for the intrusion of a pretty boy, arrogant and stubborn directly to her mind and oh yeah, her heart ... Her life changed completely since that first meeting, things are revealed in a way that encourages you to go ahead, doubt in your mind flow of "now what?" "What's this?" but the author is leading you by the hand and shows you everything you need to know.

The action, adventure and romance (cute but slight) appearance in this book. But best of all are the turns that gives the story as we go, we see the characters grow and can not help but be excited with them. Lil has to go through a lot and it is very beautiful to see the loyalty and love she puts into her decisions.

A struggle between good and evil, between angels and demons that keep you in suspense and constant surprises. Awakened is a work of YA urban fantasy like few, original, fresh, charming and totally intoxicating, I want more in this series.
Profile Image for Bailey (IB Book Blogging).
254 reviews55 followers
September 13, 2010
Awakened was an amazing book packed with action, romance, and fantasy! Walters introduces many new concepts and paranormal beings that are all unique. I enjoyed myself while reading Awakened and am so glad that I got a chance to read it!

Lil was a wonderful main character and someone I could really understand. After her meeting with Bran, her emotions are thrown all over the place and cause a huge electrical storm that reveals that she is a Guardian, and her grandfather has been hiding it from her. The revelation that she is a Guardian does not sit well with Lil, but after a terrifying meeting with demons, she realizes that she must embrace her powers and train. What follows are many twists and shocking discoveries that make the story zoom by. I loved Lil's personality and her interactions with Bran, an intriguing guy who has many secrets. She experiences love for the first time with Bran and it was fascinating to read how she handled it. She finds out that she is also very special and this furthers the plot of the story. Lil grew to be an even better person and she embraced who she was.

Bran was such an admirable match for Lil and I enjoyed learning more about his background and family. I really felt for what he had to go through growing up and throughout the story. Lil really helps him get through the hard times and takes away his loneliness. At first, Bran was very standoffish and closed off from the world, but throughout the story he grew and could open up more, especially when he was around Lil. One of my favorite scenes in Awakened was definitely the first date! I was shocked at what he revealed to Lil and loved him even more! I also greatly enjoyed learning about his background and who he was related to. It makes for many conflicts and bumps in Awakened.

All of the side characters were wonderful, especially the other Guardian trainees! Sykes was such a flirt and really smooth with the ladies. I liked him the best out of all of the trainees. He was sweet to Lil and I could've seen them together had Bran not been in the picture. Kim was a bit annoying, though some of it wears off towards the end of the book. Izzy was very reasonable and didn't give Lil the hard time that Kim gave her. Remy was the leader of the group and a real sweetie. The trainees worked really well together and I adored their interactions with one another.

The plot in Awakened was fast and unpredictable. I never knew what was coming and was always on my toes! I loved leaning about the Guardian history and what powers they had. I savored the book and was really sad when it came to an end. I was excited to see that Ednah Walters was writing book two in the Guardian series and can't wait to see what she has in store for the sequel!

Awakened was an awesome story and I am so glad that the author gave me an opportunity to read and review it! I loved every moment of the story and will be on the look out for the release date of the sequel. Pick this book up if you are looking for a thrilling fantasy romance! You'll be glad you took the chance!
Profile Image for Raquel Vega-Grieder.
112 reviews54 followers
October 21, 2010
Review Of Awakened By Ednah Walters

Awakened (The Guardian Legacy Book 1) By Ednah Walters
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Pill Hill Press (August 22, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1617060380
ISBN-13: 978-1617060380
Source: Amazon.com (link to purchase HERE)
Purchase: Barnes And Noble (link to purchase HERE)

Blurb:

This is so not your ordinary run of the mill novel about "angel's". First off let me say I loved the fact that at the beginning of the book you get some definitions of terms used throughout the book. It was so nice to have that for a reference when the terms came up in the story instead of me scratching my head and wondering what they meant. I loved Lil and Bran as the man characters in this book. Lil had just the right amount of strength and vulnerability that a good character needs. Bran had a wonderful air of mystery and danger that attracts all girls like a month to a flame. I felt they balanced each other without over powering the secondary characters and the over all story. Sykes, Remy, Izzy, and Kim are some of the cast of characters that Lil befriends upon finding out about her powers and the C12 Dojo. This book had many great and wonderful characters each with their own amazing abilities and some not so good abilities. This book had an awesome twist on the old angel verses demons fight for supremacy. Ednah brings something different to the table when it comes to her Nephilim's. When an author can keep me hooked on a story about angels and demons I call that a talent. Having grown up a Roman Catholic I know all about heaven and hell and all the other stuff in between and believe me I had a hard time keeping my focus when it came to theology. Not only did Ednah's words keep me transfixed on her book but by the time all was said and done I have been clamoring for more. I truly believe this will be a series I will reread over and over. On a scale of 1-10 I give this book a 10 and feel everyone should read this story and fall in love with Lil and Bran's story. Betrayed (The Guardian Legacy 2) can't come out fast enough for me.

Link:
Profile Image for Sharon.
844 reviews
August 16, 2011
www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Awakened is the first installment in The Guardian Legacy series by Ednah Walters.

16 year-old Lil Falcon was orphaned as a child and raised by her eccentric grandfather, Ares Falcon living the life of a gypsy she has spent most of her life moving around and wanting to belong.

When gorgeous, mysterious and powerful Bran telepathically calls to her, she responds – initially thinking he was a ghost, he has a message for her to deliver to her grandfather and as a result of their meeting his psi energy has unlocked her latent abilities as a guardian and opens her eyes to what she actually is, a Xenithian, a race with super powers and tasked with protecting humanity from the demons who threaten it. I loved her reaction to Bran and to the revelations.

19 year-old Bran is a half-demon Hermonite, the bad nephilim who collect human souls and are led by the evil Coronis. Bran wants to redeem himself and save his family so seeks the help of the cardinals and sets out to prove his intentions.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mythology, the guardian history and variety of beings that we were introduced to as well as the solid and at times unpredictable plot developments.

Lil grew from strength to strength as she learnt to wield her powers and grow in her role as a guardian, she made mistakes but she became stronger because of them.

I absolutely loved Lil and Bran as characters and as a couple, their relationship progressed at a realistic pace, they had attraction and chemistry and a connection which links their psi energy. She is a kick—butt heroine with a feisty temper and stubborn streak which I enjoyed, all she had ever wanted was a normal, stable life but what she learns and is becoming is certainly not what she ever expected.

There are a number of secondary characters introduced which I at times found confusing but I was thankful for the glossary of who was who. I enjoyed the other guardian trainees, Sykes, Remy, Kim and Izzy; each were developed well and we see the powers of the elements they each possess and hints of roles they will play in future installments.

The relationship Lil also shared with her grandfather was really sweet; I loved their close bond and his guidance.

Awakened is action packed, filled with mystery, romance and suspense, it is wonderfully written with a unique and original twist on the supernatural. I was riveted from the very first page.

I enjoyed the detailed, intriguing and complex world Ms Walters has created, there are still a number of unanswered questions I have which I am hoping will be covered in the sequel, Betrayed.
Profile Image for Mallory.
114 reviews74 followers
October 16, 2010
Review taken from my blog @ http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/2...

Let me start this review off by saying that Ednah Walters is an author to be on the look out for. Awakened is her debut novel and the debut to her series of The Guardian Legacy. I’m thrilled that this is a series! After reading Awakened, I’ve been trying for too long on how to write a review without looking like a total fan girl. I feel myself just wanting to gush how great this book is already! You really should go out and buy Awakened. I find that it is probably better that I did not write a review right away. I will leave the plot and more info about the characters for you to find out for yourself.
Awakened is a story of Lil and how she discovers her family’s well kept secret. She also learns of her own special powers. In the beginning she meets a super handsome and mysterious boy, Bran. Lil’s meeting with Bran is in a way the starting point to her discovering a world she never did imagine.
Lil is a great main character. She cares a great deal about her family, and she would do anything for her grandfather. Her actions just prove it throughout the novel. And yes, there are a lot of family secrets that will come to light in both Lil’s and Bran’s cases.
All the supporting characters are wonderful. Some may take a little while longer to like than others. Towards the end I liked the Guardian Trainees, they are like their own little family.
Now back to Bran, what can I say I love him, I lived for every chapter that he was in. Lil is a very lucky girl even if at times she doesn’t think this. Bran is so sweet to Lil. They both look out for each other and the chemistry, dang...
Might I add that there are villains in Awakened. Even the villains can be sympathized with. Well some of the villains. Some have reasons for why they are the way they are and some are just plain mean.
There was only one problem that I had while reading this book. Well make that two! One was that there was an awkward moment between Lil and her new friend. Of course they were having the usual girl talk, but Lil’s friend said something in a weird, disturbing way. I wrote down the page number too, but not sure if its the same page in the final copy of the book. The second problem I had with the book was I wanted to be a part of Awakened. I think it would be fun to spend at least a day with all the characters. Awakened has its fair share of action also. The training sessions between the Trainees. The battle of good and evil collide in the end.
Awakened will leave the reader wanting more. I know I’m eagerly awaiting the second book, Betrayed. Ednah Walters has certainly written an epic novel. With action, romance, suspense, secrets, and mystery Awakened has it all. Needless to say that a lot of readers should find it hard to put this book down.
October 21, 2010

I really enjoyed Awakened, as Ednah gave her debut book a very unique, captivating spin. It's not just another angel vs demons book. I felt drawn into the story from the get go and enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and learning more about the Guardian world. I really liked Awakened's mythology and real world setting. Ednah does a great job at making the story come to life, as she drew me into with her vivid descriptions and memorizing plot.

From page one I was drawn into the mysterious world that 16 year old Lil learns about through Bran, the secretive, hot new guy she meets who completely turns her world upside down. There's more to Bran than Lil knows.... Lil learns who she really is as she unravels secrets her Grandfather had kept from her until now. With powers awakening in her she never knew she had, Lil is about to enter a world she never thought existed. Angels and Demons have the power to manipulate the elements, control time and either save or wipe out the human race.

Awakened has a whole cast of unforgettable characters, and though many of them have varying degrees of powers, I found them to be real and I was able to connect to them on some level. I really liked Lil, even though at times I felt she was a little too emotional. I can't blame her, as she finds out her Grandpa is a leader of Guardians sent to protect the humans. Her father is... well for the sake of not giving away spoilers, a very powerful guy, whom she gets many of her powers from, and she's surrounded by a group of Guardians whom become more than friends, something she's never had. Lil is a character who's true to her word, strong, accepting, loving and when she makes a decision, she follows through. Sometimes her choice isn't the best, but life is about learning and that's something Lil is learning.

I love her Grandfather and understood why he tried so hard to protect her. I really enjoyed watching Bran and Lil's relationship grow. Feeling like out casts, both of them found acceptance, trust and love in each other. For me Awakened is a fulfilling, intriguing, read with suspense, action, and romance, woven together with a great mythology. Even though I didn't feel lost as to who was who or what was going on, Awakened has a helpful glossary for of the lineage of the Nephilim, the characters and glossary of terminology. I enjoyed escaping into the world of Awakened and while I am very satisfied with the story, I am anxiously awaiting the sequel, Betrayed, to find out what happens next. This is one book I will read again and one I definitely recommend.
570 reviews2 followers
June 2, 2012
Ah, soo good! If you like angels & demons and romance, then I'm sure you'll love this! Wow, this book is amazing! And pretty refreshing to read. I really do like the whole concept with the guardians and such, and there's twists here and there.

After reading the book, I feel that the person on the cover shouldn't be Bran. It'd be better if it was Lil (and fully-clothed) with her . I mean, the whole half naked part didn't really have much to do with the story other than get your interest piqued. I mean hot guy on cover? It was a bit of a turn-off for me, but I can see some people perhaps drooling over the cover. Okay, that might have been a slight exaggeration. Anyways, I like how the wings on the cover actually do incorporate with the story, even if it's only slightly...

I love all the characters, even the bad ones. Like when we meet Lil's father. I mean,

The romance in the novel was just so spontaneous. Honestly? It's like love at first sight. Bran is a bit sketchy though in the beginning, and that first scene is just so creeepy! I mean, weird sketchy guy in your mind telling you to come out? It's dark and night, and he wants you to meet him outside...next to a tree. Why would you ever agree or even listen to that? -FACE PALM- That was a part that really bothered me. And then, Bran and Lil just come to love each other in like a few seconds. Soul mates? Nah, just

Then, I thought there would be maybe a love triangle? The author was clearly trying to convey the message that Sykes liked Lil. I really wish Sykes had a chance with Lil, and I felt bad for him.

And when Lil first goes to school? I thought it was just depicted so perfectly. It was hilarious. I mean, "gypsy" girl meets "popular" group. I got a sense of Mean Girls there for some reason. Like someone would shout, "You don't even go here!" at any moment to Lil. Or maybe that was just me? Who knows.

Anyways, really great book! A new favorite. Can't wait to read the next one. And you know what they say, don't judge books by their covers. Too true.
Profile Image for Lisa (A Life Bound By Books).
1,107 reviews748 followers
May 18, 2011
For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - A Life Bound By Books

Awakened, the first book in The Guardian Legacy series and freshman title for author Ednah Walters was more than I expected and then some. I found much to enjoy, from the rich story and brightly crafted characters to the fascinating mythology. It was quick to draw me in and had its hooks into me within the first few mysterious pages straight through to the last… leaving this reader scrambling for what comes next.

Lil Falcon, a 16 year old girl who wants nothing more than to make it through high school. She has no idea that she’s different, that she has powers that’ll help her to protect everyone around her. She lives with her grandfather and they tend to move around a lot. She’s stronger then even she knows, and it’s one of the things I liked about her the most. She grows into who she is as the story progresses and as she comes to terms with what is the true world around her. I mean she has a lot to deal with as what she knows morphs into everything that she only thought existed in books or movies.

And then there’s Bran. He’s different and Lil knows it. He’s one of those guys who are a mix of both good and bad boy. He has his own secrets and a lot to prove too many people. He’s character adds many layers to a well built plot. The relationship between Bran and Lil has twists and turns along the way that only added to such an original story. I rooted for them the whole time, even with all the uphill battles their relationship was set out to face.

Then there’s The Guardian Trainee’s and each character was so different from the next. Their strength and honor were incredible to say the least. Oh and yeah, Sykes gives Bran’s swoon worthy-ness a run for his money. Both guys wormed their way into my heart and made me grin from ear to ear when ever they were on the page. I mean, Walters great writing makes characters such as these here in Awakened easy to love.

With such detailing, Walters has a knack for writing and offers readers a great tale and a different telling of Good vs. Evil. In a world and character as vivid as hers, it was easy for this book to become a favorite on my bookcase and that I’d be eagerly awaiting the next book in the series - Betrayed. Would I recommend this title to anyone? That would be a definite YES.
Profile Image for Angel Charms.
124 reviews4 followers
February 3, 2011
I really looooved this book. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Angel books with Romance. Lil is very likable and so is Bran ofcourse though I wish he had more sexy or atleast normal name....I mean come oooon Bran? seriously? like Brawn or Brain? I absolutely loved the cover and the guy on it. There is not one character in this book that I didn't like. I also liked that author thought of adding a brief note in the beginning with intro to some important characters and terminology.

Pros:
* Story moves at steady pace. Didn't feel like a drag or too detailed.
* Liked all the characters including not-so threatening but very much hyped about villans (I probably liked them b'coz they weren't that threatening despite the hype).
* One thing I liked most about this book is...No Love Triangle....Yay. Don't get me wrong I like triangles, but there are just too many of them now-a-days...and they always have one heroine and 2 guys vying for her love. I mean how come the guys are hot and yet the awkward and average heroin ends up being torn between the two?
I wish I could personally thank Ednah Walters for the no-triangle thing.

Anyway here are my Cons:

* I'd have liked to see more scenes between Lil and Bran (blah).
* Would have liked to see Bran's role a bit more than just as eye candy. I know Lil is the powerful one, but still.

That's it...no more cons.

I've got some more questions though, but I guess they will be answered in the sequel though...needless to say I am looking forward to reading it.

# Obviously powers Lil has aren't inherited, then how did she end up with them?....lucky draw?
# Bran's grandfather was the one with the dagger, then why is it that Bran is not the one to be able to use it? Why is Lil the only one with ALL the power?
# Why were Bran's grandparents unable to escape from the island? Everyone else was able to escape...I mean it's not like she had any power to stop them from teleporting or whatever.
# Sounds like there is some kind of mystery around Lil's mother...why did she name her daughter Lilith?...not exactly popular name.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
42 reviews16 followers
September 30, 2010
First of all, let me start off by saying WOW... I loved this book. From the very first page I was sucked in and not let go until the very last page.
The Awakening is a fast pace page turner that had me guessing until the very end. With many unexpected twists that had me gasping and extremely surprised.
Lil has just turned 16 and is just coming in to her powers. If she wasn't enough of an outcast, Lil now thinks she is a freak. But maybe this new found birthright isn't such a bad thing. She joins 4 other trainees and is finally starting to fit in.
Lil is such a strong character. She has her own style and is not afraid of turning heads or saying whats on her mind. You could call her sassy, but she is always there to protect the ones she cares most about. Now as a Guardian Lil has powers even she can't explain. As she learns to control them, she grows stronger and into her own. With a deep love for her Grandfather and a very strong bond to a boy who is looking for her help, Lil is thrust into a world she never knew existed.
Awakened has such a wonderful cast of characters. Bran the sexy, half demon is both an extremely likable character and has such a great personality. He is funny and a bit cocky. I really loved the way he got into Lil's head and had her head tied in knots.
The trainees were also great characters, each had such a likable personality and each had there own little story that made them so much more then supporting characters.
Ednah had such an amazing way of writing details that I felt as if I was in the story instead of reading it. I could picture every little detail that was happening and it just made the story that much better.
Awakened is an amazing read and I can not wait for the second book in the series Betrayed. This book has it all, action, adventure, romance and many unexpected twists and turns. If you haven't read it yet... What are you waiting for!
93 reviews14 followers
March 20, 2011
This book was absolutely amazing. It is balanced with action, love and personal relationships. Lil is an amazing lead character. She is strong and yet also vulnerable. She was raised to be proud of who she is no matter what. She would be a great role model for any teen as she dresses how she wants and is always herself. I loved that she didn’t try to become someone else or whine throughout the story. She always adjusted and took things in stride after she acclimated to the circumstances.

Bran is a great male love interest. He is protective of Lil but the typical dynamic of protect the female takes a backseat to the story. He doesn’t’ try to constantly try to shove her behind him. It is refreshing to see a male lead that allows the female to be herself. He is also strong in his own right and cares about others.

Izzy, Kim, Sykes, and Remy make excellent supporting characters. They accentuate the story but also come to the forefront of the story. Their personalities are really developed and that is also really refreshing. Most of the books that I have read recently have two main characters and the supporting characters don’t interact with the leads as much. This made Awakened stand out among the other books that I have read.

The back story is very well done. At first I had a few reservations that I had stumbled upon something that might be more science fiction. However, as the story unfolded I found it wasn’t science fiction and the details were nicely worked out.
I give this book a 5/5

www.donotdisturbmybooks.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Christie.
455 reviews165 followers
October 7, 2010
Celebrating her Sweet 16 brought more changes to Lil’s life than she ever could have fathomed. Suddenly she is hearing voices, and can cause wild storms just by getting a little emotional. She soon discovers she is a Guardian, and the one boy she can’t stop thinking about just might be her enemy.

This is a great book! The action was practically non-stop. The world it took place in was very intriguing. Guardians are teleporting all over the world to stop demons from inciting chaos. Most natural disasters can be blamed on demons with control over the elements. Then there is the whole throwing energy ball business. So cool!

The characters were fun and engaging. Lil was just the right mix of sweet and sassy. I loved how easily she handled all the changes in her life, and the secrets that kept on emerging. She wasn’t afraid to stand up for herself, and wasn’t about to forget who she really was while adapting to her new life as a Guardian. She’s a strong female protag, which I always find impressive. Bran is definitely at heartthrob status. I loved the chemistry between those two, and the eventual reveal of why they feel what they feel (insert dreamy sigh here). Nothing like forbidden love to really stir things up. A strong start to what I feel will be a fantastic series.

Found yourself effected by the Angel mania sweeping Young Adult literature? Enjoy a tale of Good vs. Evil? If so, I highly recommend adding Awakened to your must read list.
Profile Image for Ellz Readz.
140 reviews8 followers
October 5, 2010
My thoughts...I LOVED this book. Ednah Walters has created an exciting world of Angels and Demons complete with magic and romance.

Awakened is book one in The Guardian Legacy series. It grabbed my interest from the very first chapter and kept me intrigued until the end. It offers a great blend of action, romance, great fight scenes, and fantasy. While some of the settings were complex, Walters did a brilliant job of transporting the reader to her world. The book played out like a movie, one that I would watch again.

The characters in the story are part of a team of Guardians who protect the world from evil. They all have unique abilities and strengths which make them interesting in their own ways. There are also some secondary characters that will satisfy fans of the paranormal including blood suckers and shifters. The heroine, Lili is a unique character that I immediately liked. She is very selfless and devoted to those she loves. Bran, the lovely boy on the cover, was another character I really enjoyed reading. I look forward to learning more about all of the characters.

I would definitely recommmend Awakened to readers of all ages and genders. This is a love story, but it is balanced with lots of intense action. Book two, Betrayed, is already on my wish list.
Profile Image for Tara SG.
310 reviews26 followers
November 23, 2010
* * *

--This book in 6 words:

mythology saved missing connection and predictability

--Why did I read this? And am I glad I did?

I came across this on the tour site and it sounded like something I would enjoy. I will say that this had much higher reviews on GoodReads than what I’m giving it. And I’ve read two OUTSTANDING YA novels this month and may be more critical than normal. Overall, it wasn’t a complete waste of time, but I didn’t love it. I’ve been whining a little about the overabundance of angel/demon books lately and was hesitant going into this one, however, I really enjoyed the mythology. It is the saving grace of this novel. I just felt like we were rushed into too much and weren’t given time to connect to the characters fully. I also felt like a lot was predictable.

I’m really torn on whether I’ll read the next book or not. Knowning the unfinished mysteries of this one, it could be good. I guess we’ll see what my TBR pile looks like at the time.

--Read the full review here : http://www.25hourbooks.com/2010/11/aw...
Profile Image for Rosangela.
9 reviews3 followers
March 14, 2011
A so fresh, so highly enjoyable reading! Awakened takes us to a world of adventures and magic, powerful characters. I loved Lil and the way she accepts her destiny as a Guardian, bravely facing all the things that have been assigned to her. A very distinguished heroine, so easy to love.

As soon as Lil is told she is truly a guardian, her life cannot be "normal" anymore. And finding herself among other powerful beings, the Guardian Council, they all together know that they have a mission. Besides that, her feelings for the demon Bran can both protect or put her in danger. The novel is about choices and about challenge the own fears. On being in the middle of the battle between the good and the evil, Lil finds out who she really is and how she can make her own choices.

A great series! Can't wait to read more.
Profile Image for Julia.
244 reviews1 follower
September 18, 2013
Another author to add to my favorite list! I cannot wait to read Betrayed! Ednah knows how to weave a story with amazing characters, twists and turns, leaving you always wanting more. A series you do not want to miss.

Lil Falcon has her life ahead of her, decisions to make as she gets older. Never in a million years does she expect the direction her life takes when fate comes knocking at her door. She can almost accept the fact she is special, born into a life of killing demons. What she doesn't expect is Bran and what being near him does to her both physically and emotionally.

Will Lil find out the truth before it's too late? Will Bran's secret change everything? Find out - get your copy of Awakened today.
Profile Image for Kristina.
258 reviews74 followers
May 31, 2011
This book is simply amazing. The story and plot are incredibly original and brilliant. This book sucked me in and I could not put it down. All the characters are lovable. Lil is such a badass! I love the fact that this story is lead by a strong female! I also love the little page of definitions in the begining of the book, just incase you forget something.

I loved this book so much that it now resides on my favorites shelf in my room! :) I can't wait for book 2!

Go read this...NOW!!!!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
205 reviews132 followers
September 22, 2010
Epic, received it yesterday, started around 8:30 or so, and because I am a SLOW reader it's now nearly 6 AM and I just finished...

What a story, what a main character - Lil kicks some serious butt!!!

To tired to write more now full review to come ASAP!!! But bottom line, LOVED IT!
Profile Image for Lisa.
38 reviews
February 10, 2014
Awakened, was born of pure creativity for readers of any age, and imagination is what fuels Author, Ednah Walters. This Series Prequel, is genius and pure cognition flows from its very first pages. E.W.'s, given us permission to step into her dream world where you'll find the adventures wouldn't exist without her own brand of fantasy. Her dream, now ours, reveals a Nephilim spin entirely unique from other scripts. Awakened, demands to be read prior to her Guardian Legacy Series. This is only the beginning. Ednah's unique adventure is a gift ... now un-wrap yours ... and enter a world where soul mates can conquer anything. Awakened, truly is, amazing.

The Prequel tells of the ancient Nephilim prophecy one told and retold over millennia. "A red headed offspring of mixed parentage will be born with great and unmatched powers. The child will be called, 'The Chosen One', and the day will come when 'The Chosen One', will unite the Nephilim Kingdoms."
That day, has come.

Awakened is the introduction of sixteen year old, Lil Falcon, her grandfather, her first friends both human and Nephilim, and her encounter with Bran Llyr, combination of every females dream man and irritant.

Below:
Lisa B.'s, crib notes of Lil and Bran's first meet and greet ...

Lil has just turned sixteen, without knowledge she's anything, but human. Lil's, new and unusual headaches, are bringing whispering voices and the voices are having conversations in her head. Lil, being of a deep gypsy heritage, suddenly remembers how her grandpa could communicate with spirits. She's scolding herself and pretty freaked out, because after all those years she hadn't paid attention to the stories and was only acting like she was listening to grandpa. (Later, she finds out, she was simply getting her, psi or ability to communicate with other Nephilim Guardians.)

"My voices started low and soft like a whisper, then louder and unrecognizable. By lunchtime the volume had increased, crossed conversations and languages, pounding my senses and sounding like, a switchboard on pop-rocks and soda! I should've told grandpa when the voices began! I screwed up! Grandpa was out, and I had no one to call. Then, I heard, "Lil." I spun around and heard, "Hi." The voice continued, "Lil, I'm not going to hurt you." It's reading my mind! Can it SEE me? But what an improvement! I'm hearing only one, decidedly male voice, clear as a bell. Super, my first spirit. "Lil, I need your help. Lil? Can you hear me?" YES! Go away! You're annoying! The spirit asked, "Lil? aren't you the Granddaughter, of Cardinal psi Guardian, Eres Falcon?" I'm, what? He repeats, "I need your help, it's very important, come quickly." I screamed, go away! "Did you hear me, Lil?" Yes! He continued, "Lil, meet me at the willow tree outside and I'll explain. Are you coming?" Who ARE YOU! Now, since I don't know the protocol for talking with, let alone meeting a spirit, I'm irritated at this unwavering ... thing and mad, as I slam the trailer door and head for the raven infested willow tree. I wonder if it's possible to hurt a spirit. If so, I'm, so, going to kick this one! Now at the base of the tree, I'm mad and trying to put unruly hair behind one ear while shouting ... you're really an intrusive, impatient ghost and this isn't a good time for me! He speaks up, "Ghost? Um, hey, Lil, look up. In the tree." So, for a reality check, I looked up. High on a branch, was a boy about my age, with the most indescribable ... (now I'm praying he isn't a ghost) set of green eyes, black shoulder length hair, dimples, perfect white teeth, biceps and ... and he's ... looking at me, with a big gorgeous smile ... and I remembered I had been mad, then shocked, now blushing and starting to sweat when words ... leave his lips ... and all I can think about ... are his. This centerfold, worthy guy says, "Hi, Lil, I'm Bran Llyr, Guardian in training." Guardian, what? "I've a serious message for your grandfather." Yes, go on, but I'm still staring at ... Bran ... Bran ... "so, can you get the message to your grandfather? It's a matter of life and death for the Guardians.". What is up with what I thought he told me, and again, with this Guardian ... "Lil, I know you just came into your powers.". POWERS! WHAT? Smiling he says, "I did hear you were really smart, seemed older than your age, but I wasn't prepared for you to be so ... beautiful." I'm still trying to grasp that word, powers? I've never been speechless, blushing burnt red, yes, smiling, yes. I was so hypnotized and really didn't hear all he said, but I liked watching his mouth, so I had to look down to get a grip, and when I looked back up ... Bran Llyr was gone.
October 10, 2010
I've actually been very excited to start this book. It's funny how on Goodreads, the book word can spread like wild fire just by adding a book to your TBR list (now I know for future use). So, you can imagine my joy when Ednah Walters sent me a copy of her debut novel.

The book is set in the Utah valley. Now, although nobody knows this about me, I have family in several parts of the valley there so I'm pretty familiar with its layout. Plus, visiting the place at least twice a year for most of my life didn't hurt (My mom is a native....what can a girl do?). So to me, it was exciting to see a story unfold in a place that sits so close to me. You should see me when I read books that have to do with Arizona... It's like I've won the lottery.

Anyway, our main character is Lil. Now, I'm not really going to give you plot details and such because the synopsis does it's own job of that. What I will tell you however is that Lil is a 16 year old who just wants to fit in. I suppose that is the story with most 16 year olds. She also happens to have some pretty sweet powers and belongs to a super secret world of Guardians here to protect us from the evil demons that want our souls.

Sweet.

The very beginning of the book is motivationally delicious - it grabbed my attention fabulously. Immediately we (the readers) are introduced to Bran, the seriously sexy male love icon. It took me quite some time to try and figure out his character, but I still don't think I did. I would have liked to have seen some more Bran, definitely more development of his character. He didn't seem to really fit in the world that Lil had carved for herself. He was just kind of there, like he was forced into the story. I think that some of the smaller characters were a bit more developed than he was. I felt like Lil would have been better placed with Sykes rather than Bran.

Lucky for me, there were several other characters to love. I had an all out crush on one of the guy guardian trainees - Sykes. He was adorable in the I'm-hot-and-sexy-and-I-know-it-so-I'm-going-to-flirt-with-you kind of way. I really liked his sense of humor and his wit. Plus, there was Izzy who seemed like she could kick ass but was still nice and kind. Kim, the other female guardian trainee, was kinda an evil bitch mean, but I understood her. I could totally get why she was the way she was....maybe that says something about me (food for thought).

The demon part of the book was a bit tricky and I didn't quite get how the whole thing worked with them until the end. I did think the concept of how they functioned and their purpose for being in existence was pretty cool. I loved the explanation Walters gave for the nature problems on Earth and the demons hands in all that. Excellent!

Still, I do think the general storyline was fun and interesting. Plus, there were quite a few fight scenes which I adored and girl fights always add to the drama in a book.

...They were sweating, swords colliding, lifting and connecting again. Remy knocked the sword out of Sykes' hand. Sykes teleported, snatched his sword before it hit the ground then disappeared again. His laughter drew my attention upward. He was on one of the beams above the floor, grinning. Ah, so that was the purpose of those babies.

"Didn't expect that, did you?" Sykes mocked Remy.

"You want to play hardball?" Remy asked, grinning back.

"Bring it on." Sykes teleported to another beam, looked down at me and winked.

I shook my head. he was such a show-off. My gaze returned to Remy.

He wrapped a hand around the blade of his sword, and the glistening steel changed its color to a dull brown. The sharp edge rounded, shimmered like a mirage and stretched until it became a long, cylindrical shaft, the end dangling to the floor. In mere seconds, he'd transformed his sword into a scythe with a long chain at its end...

Walters' debut novel of Guardians, Nephilium, demons, souls, swords and crazy teenage hormones makes for an interesting and entertaining read.
October 20, 2010
How would I describe Awakened: A tapestry of sweet complexity.

Ednah Walters did not waste any time jumping into the plot and introducing us to two of the main characters Lil and Bran in chapter one. What is Lil and what will come of her? Is Bran who he is raised to be?

I am not going to attempt to resummarizing the plot because I'm still on cloud nine. Wouldn't want to have a *whoops* spoiler moment.

The storyline is a tapestry of rich inheritance, intriguing back story and optimistic future. Of course many readers of the genre know that I use the term optimistic loosely. The ending of Awakened leaves room for more action and plot/character growth which means that there will be more adversaries popping out of the wood works and more trials to overcome. However, young love is in the air and you know what they say about love. But let's rewind a moment and get to the goodie before the ending.

What makes Awakened click?

Characters: You've got the good, the bad, the in between and the humans. There is a balance which supports the idea that those who are written to be special- is special. For instance, if everyone has superpowers then it's not really super just plain jane powers, right? Lil's character is complex. One day normal teen, next day the cream of the crop. She struggles with the truth of her existence, a new life, adolescent hormones all the while battling adversaries in the flesh.
Bran is on a mission and seeks Lil for help. He is looking for a way to save his family and pleads Lil for the help of the only good guys geared and ready to fight powerful battles. The Guardians.

Relationships: Across the board the relationships forged and refined is quite the journey and sweet to the core. One in particular is my fondest. Lil and her grampa is a team. Their relationship is one to admire and toast Ednah for. Grampa fits the bill perfectly. His love for Lil is shown through his trust, loyalty, willingness and honesty.

Moving onto the Romance, I could have grouped it with Relationships but I am a romance freak so it gets its own paragraph. Four words for you:
"Love At First Psi"

What does it mean? It's my own play off the Love At First Sight saying because as soon as I realized the budding romance and the mystical way these beings connect. Xenithians and Hermonites can do things that no human can. They can tap into energies and do things like communicate and connect. *nudge*nudge*nudge* Do you see where I can going with this? The romance is taken on a deeper level and felt from within. I am a sucker for Alrunes, what can I say!? hehehe, you have to read Awakened to know what Alrune is?

Thankful, Ednah has included a Glossary for readers to reference. I read an ARC so I am not to sure if it made it to the final mass distribution but I do appreciate the inclusion. Note that the information can be found on Ednah's website.

All in all, Awakened is appropriate for teens with all the makings for adult readership appeal. I am seeing Awakened referred to as YA Fantasy but I can see it easily adapting into YA PNR. I am officially adding this title among my favorite 2010 YA reads. And I will be counting down for Book 2: Betrayl to arrive. Now when will that be?
Displaying 1 - 30 of 241 reviews