Start by marking “Discovery of the Child” as Want to Read:
Discovery of the Child

Discovery of the Child

Maria Montessori went beyond the conventions of the day to seek a new way of knowing and loving a child. In THE DISCOVERY OF THE CHILD, she describes the nature of the child and her method of working more fully with the child's urge to learn. With 16 pages of photographs.
Published May 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published 1909)

Sara
Oct 12, 2008 rated it liked it
A good book, but this would not be my first recommendation of a Montessori to others. The approach is more scientific here, and I would guess, of more benefit to those who have had Montessori teacher-training (unlike myself). It is full of interesting information and stories, but I did not find this work as fascinating as The Secret of Childhood, and in fact at times returned to it with little enthusiasm. The best of it I found to be in the last 40 or so pages! The chapter on religious education ...more
Lizzie Drexler
Danny from The Shining, is that you? Just stopping by to say WHY would anyone choose this as the book cover photo? Please give this child a moment of your attention and reflect with me. Why is your tongue out Danny? This book is required reading for a class I’m taking, but I can barely touch this book without feeling disturbed; have to remove it from my bedroom at night so that Montessori Danny doesn’t haunt my dreams.
Polarka
Skutočne podrobný vhľad do pedagogiky Marie Montessori. Nájdete tu nielen základ a históriu jej práce, ale hlavne veľa podrobných a kontrétnych tipov.
Svojim rozsahom vhodné skôr pre učiteľov. Pre mňa, bežného rodiča, ktorý nechce ísť výlučne montessori smerom, to bolo až príliš popisné.
Daniella
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents, educators
Recommended to Daniella by: Jamie Jarman
Rather dry, but this has a lot to do with the older, scientific style of her writing. As it applies to the education of children, it is very interesting. It reinforced my conviction that the Montessori method is the best way for my son to be educated!
Oktawian Chojnacki
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alan-kay, bought
One of the most shocking parts of this book are references to God. This is awful. This woman is so wise, empathetic and passionate and when it comes to faith she’s blind and just stupid. But... I agree with everything except faith and religious parts.
Rob
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great insight into an outstanding mind and leader in the understanding and importance of educating the whole child.
Adela Caramet
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice written book! A lot of practical examples, but more suitable for a teacher that a parent. The focus is on inside class activities than at home. But still the book contains many examples which can be adapted! I recommend it!
Maisaa Salma
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It is indeed a very great book and it explains a lot of useful games and learning material for kids but I thought it can be organized in a simpler way and according to age.
Maria
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
The book consists of 26 topics. It explains Montessori education briefly. Frankly, I find it short and sweet.
Rajiv Gupta
Mar 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Where do I find the book ?
Erik Akre
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Montessorians: new guides, seasoned guides, and parents
Shelves: education, montessori
A book about education for ages 3 to 6, this has a quality and a quantity of excellent material, philosophical and practical, for the Children's House guide. As is typical for Montessori when she writes most honestly, the prose is strong, convincing, and often inspirational. The book is an excellent one for teachers starting on the path of early childhood Montessori, or for seasoned guides looking for refreshment. Parents will also find what they need to understand their children's experience in ...more
Tina
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maria Montessori was an innovator of her time. She transformed education in Europe and around the world. Her teaching style is different but would I see how it could transform a a child into learning and not just regurgitating facts a teachers speaks at him/her about.
Emmy Soliman
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
She is a visionary person. Reading this book was fruitful; it gave me the chance to understand the Montessori educational system in discovering the kids' potentials and developing them. I can now believe in no reward/no punishment, and many other issues in the M. System.
Deanne
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fabulous insights into early childhood development
Jess
Jul 29, 2018
Husni Hamza
Sep 12, 2014
Aya Oraib
rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2018
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Montessori Madness!: A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education
  • Educating Your Child In Modern Times:  Raising An Intelligent, Sovereign, & Ethical Human Being
  • Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six
  • Preemptive Love: Pursuing Peace One Heart at a Time
  • Understanding the Human Being: The Importance of the First Three Years of Life
  • Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live and Die for Bigger Things
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • Theories of Childhood: An Introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky
  • The Three R's
  • 100 Best Books for Children
  • Homeschooling for Dummies
  • The Aims of Education
Maria Montessori was an Italian physician, educator, philosopher, humanitarian and devout Catholic; she is best known for her philosophy and the Montessori method of education of children from birth to adolescence. Her educational method is in use today in a number of public as well as private schools throughout the world.
“The best instruction is that which uses the least words sufficient for the task.” 4 likes