Jump to ratings and reviews

Religion and Sexuality: The Shakers, the Mormons, and the Oneida Community

"Most writers have treated these three groups and the social ferment out of which they grew as simply an American sideshow. . . . In this book, therefore, I have attempted to go beyond the conventional focus on what these groups did; I have also sought to explain why they did what they did and how successful they were in terms of their own objectives. By trying sympathetically to understand these extraordinary experiments in social and religious revitalization, I believe it is possible to come to terms with a broader set of questions that affect all men and women during times of crisis and transition."--From the preface

Winner of the Best Book Award, Mormon History Association

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (9%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for TheObsessiveCupcake.
251 reviews58 followers
November 24, 2018
This was a book I had to read for a religion class. It was a great factual and analytical overview of different religions and their unique outlooks on sexuality. So now go and read!
Profile Image for Elizabeth Quinn.
Author 7 books11 followers
May 6, 2011
This was part of my research for my novel-in-progress, Perfecting Eden, which is a fictional account of the lives of my ancestors in the Oneida Community. Foster's perspective and the long quotations from Oneida writings that he includes were very helpful.
Profile Image for Shannon.
194 reviews
March 7, 2016
Interesting exploration of three different types of alternative religions and their views on sexuality. The chapters on the Shakers and the Oneida were very interesting and well thought out. The two chapters on the Mormons were less well developed, but the overall book was interesting.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.